Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
If you're going to complain about magic and magical creatures (whose occurences will only increase) because the 1st season only featured on or two short scenes of magically related events then you're watching the wrong show.
:whiste:

First off, unless you've somehow watched all the unmade episodes, then the vast majority of show we're watching is Season 1, so I'm not sure what you mean by "watching the wrong show."

I'm just saying the use of magic as a plot device for that particular instance was severe compared to anything that came before it. There was minimal exposition before the fact, and the result drastically altered the distribution of power. For a show where each plotline develops over the course of many episodes, that one developed awfully quick.

Just my opinion.

dwell said:
Magic in Game of Thrones is like say, technology in normal movies and shows -- it's in the background. For instance, you may have a cop show where a dude sends an email. The focus is not the computer, it's a show about cops. Magic is treated the same way on Game of Thrones. Someone may cast a spell but it's really not in the forefront.

I hope that all makes sense.

That is certainly the impression I got from the first season.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
how does the gay king have more men than his older brother stenis. heck how does he have more men than the lannisters, the richest family?

When Robert became king, he put Stannis on Dragonstone, an island castle not far from Kingslanding. When the Targaryens ruled, Dragonstone was where the heir to the throne stayed. So Stannis was heir, at least until Robert had children. Renly was left in charge of the Stormlands, one of the seven kingdoms. So Stannis has the island castle of Dragonstone, while Renly has an entire kingdom since most of Stormlands followed Renly.

Renly married Margaery, so the Tryell kingdom of Highgarden is also following Renly. Highgarden is the most fertile and populous land with the largest army. The Tyrells are also the second richest next to the Lannisters. So now Renly had two of the kingdoms following him, while Stannis has one castle, and a few of his wife's relatives loyal to him.

what the hell is the change of heart w/greyjoy?
robb stark is like a brother to him. now he betrays his adopted family after a few days w/his real dad??? wtfbbq!?

Theon wants to inherit Pyke, and be lord of the Iron Islands. He wants to prove himself to his father, because at the moment his father is planning on making Theon's sister heir to the kingdom.

So he is either loyal to Robb, and just gets to be a soldier, or he is loyal to his family, and may get to be lord of the Iron Islands.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
yeah, the show is very unconvincing of why Theon
switched sides.
one moment he's there to convince his father to ally w/Robb Stark. the next he want to fight along Dad's side AGAINST Robb.
and is pissed he only gets 1 ship to attack the family that raised/trusted him for the past 9yrs.

and this was only days since he set foot in Dad's house.
WTFBBQ!?

The show did a horrible sell on this. :mad:

In reality he's the 'typical' guy. That's my take on him. He goes with whatever the 'crowd' does.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
First off, unless you've somehow watched all the unmade episodes, then the vast majority of show we're watching is Season 1, so I'm not sure what you mean by "watching the wrong show."

Over the next few seasons up to and including the ones that cover book five (unless the producers veer wildly from the books) there will be more magic and people who demonstrate magical abilities in the story line...

For example, do you think that the pet dragonlings that Daenerys has are going to stay the size of large birds of prey throughout the whole show?

Rewatch the first season. There is a sizable Dragonskull kept in the tunnels under the castle. during at least one scene you can see it.

I'm just saying the use of magic as a plot device for that particular instance was severe compared to anything that came before it. There was minimal exposition before the fact, and the result drastically altered the distribution of power.

The book follows the storyline of the books with this change. The scene of Melisandre on the boat with Davos occured later in the book during a second use of the creature. So it appears that some of the book had to be left out for time. However it does occur even if they moved the scene up in the story chonology. Magic will appear more and more but up to the point covered by the books it's still more of a background element than a main point of the plot. At least until the Others make their appearance.

This is what I mean... *if* you're going to whine and moan about the existence of magic when it comes up (even if suddenly) then you *are* watching the wrong show.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Why do you keep pointing out things that are totally irrelevant to my point? It's just my opinion.

It is relevant, it shows that the characters are subject to arbitrary events beyond their control. It follows the plot of the book more or less. (it happened slightly differently in the book... the shadow had a blade that it used to cut through Renly's neck armor and slice his throat open). Magic becomes more common, but not as common as in other fantasy series such as LotR. (so far in the books that are released)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Keep in mind the original Targaryens only needed 3 dragons at their first attempt and proceeded to almost immediately overthrow 6 of the 7 kingdoms.

The last, Dome, spoke to terms with the Targaryens.

Daenerys for all intents and purposes is the mother of three dragons. The first three dragons were more like steeds...these next three are pretty much kin.

Imagine what they'd be capable of doing for their mother.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Keep in mind the original Targaryens only needed 3 dragons at their first attempt and proceeded to almost immediately overthrow 6 of the 7 kingdoms.

It'll be interesting to see how her dragons match up against the White Walkers if that ever happens in the story line.

It could be interesting taking into account the stories that Old Nan told Brandon about the Others.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It'll be interesting to see how her dragons match up against the White Walkers if that ever happens in the story line.

It could be interesting taking into account the stories that Old Nan told Brandon about the Others.

The thing about her dragons is that in the books the dragons quickly became weaker and smaller each rebirth...the last of their kind was sickly.

The dragon that helped forge the Iron Throne was large enough to swallow a mammoth whole, the next largest was only capable of horses.

Daenerys also was impervious to fire. This was a trait beyond a normal Targaryen. They can handle higher temps, but would never survive a funeral pyre. I suspect Daenerys may deviate a bit from the books.

A proper dragon would lay waste to the White Walkers/Others (they are the same). They are a powerful race though...there will be a lot of exciting twists in that exchange.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
A proper dragon would lay waste to the White Walkers/Others (they are the same). They are a powerful race though...there will be a lot of exciting twists in that exchange.

I know I used the terms interchangeably... I gather from Old Nan's tails that the White Walkers might be able to use the winter conditions to obscure their approach.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I know I used the terms interchangeably... I gather from Old Nan's tails that the White Walkers might be able to use the winter conditions to obscure their approach.

it's getting into spoiler territory. I think you know more than you are acknowledging.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
how_far_off_the_reservation_can_we_go_before_we_tshirt-p235977381867453837z3925_400.jpg

I no longer have any idea wtf is happening next. So those worried about book spoilers, don't. This episode was a significant departure from the source material.

I get the merging of minor charcters and dropping sub plotlines, where efficient, but there are entirely new plotlines as of tonight.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
it's getting into spoiler territory. I think you know more than you are acknowledging.

I remember Bran being told some of the tales by Old Nan in the series but maybe I'm confusing and combining what I read in the 1st book with the the parts of the story in the series.

They are truncating the story in the interest of time. However I do think that the major plot points of the book will remain intact (with perhaps minor changes)

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Roose said he could send his bastard son to Winterfell! :)
My name is Reek; it rhymes with sneak.

Last edited:

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Hated the Roose casting. Looks nothing like him.

His face was clean shaved, smooth skinned, ordinary, not handsome but not quite plain . Though Roose had been in battles, he bore no scars. Though well past forty, he was as yet unwrinkled, with scarce a line to tell of the passage of time. His lips were so thin that when he pressed them together they seem to vanish altogether.

250px-Roose_tvseries.jpg

Doesnt really talk like or act like him either. And does this guy look at all as creepy as Roose? Can you see him getting regular leechings?

They got a little closer on Ygritte. STill missing some her trademarks, like the freckles and the hair isnt the same:

tumblr_lpqzqv6VUG1qh0oqco1_500.jpg

Ygritte in the books has a round face, a pug nose, freckles, and slightly crooked teeth.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
How do you build a fire when there are no trees around?

There are trees north of the wall but up where they were they probably hauled what they needed as the fires are being used as a form of communication to warn the other people.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Poor Theon just doesn't know how to get ahead. He's trying to get into the swing of things, but he's just a cutup.

Upgrade_Itch

Apr 25, 2012
Who stole the 3 dragons last night @ the end of the episode? (GOT book readers needed)

I'm thinking the black guy that wants to marry the blond dragon owner....

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Who stole the 3 dragons last night @ the end of the episode? (GOT book readers needed)

I'm thinking the black guy that wants to marry the blond dragon owner....

This is on the Wiki. Everyone in Quarth wanted her dragons.

That said, they are screwed. Next episode should be a nice one.

To other's trying to have the series follow the books, it's not really possible since the books tend to be character-centric and have timelines shared between them at times.