Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Yup. Would have given the series some serious acting chops to play off of.

Look, I'm not saying it's a bad series it's just ever since the Sopranos went off HBO has been desperately trying to recreate that "magic" again so they end up trying too hard. I mean look at Breaking Bad - no nudity, few cuss words, implied violence and it's the best show on hands down. Why? Because the cast isn't trying to constantly top each other and it's one of the best written shows and thought out shows in my opinion. As the old adage goes - sometimes less is more.

This is completely retarded in every way. You are comparing a show with no cgi, no costumes, no exotic locales to a show that spends an incredible amount of money and effort on those things. Did you also hate LOTR because the actors were too over the top and they wore too much makeup? Seriously wtf are you even talking about? This show is not the sopranos and isn't supposed to be.

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
briennehitit.jpg

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
just started watching season2. am up to episode3.

whats up w/the incest themes this season?
dad w/daughters, wife of gay king willing to have 3some w/brother, and greyjoy & his sister?

how does the gay king have more men than his older brother stenis. heck how does he have more men than the lannisters, the richest family?

what the hell is the change of heart w/greyjoy?
robb stark is like a brother to him. now he betrays his adopted family after a few days w/his real dad??? wtfbbq!?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
That's because Tyrion steals the books by a huge margin.

Absolutely. Tyrion and to a lesser extent Arya and Jon Snow about the only characters with their own dedicated chapters that normal people can root for. Tyrion in particular is one of the most interesting characters ever to grace a book. I'm happy that the series was able to bring that character to life as well as they did. He was the easiest character to completely screw up and one of the most loved ones from the books. So they had to knock it out of the park.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

dad w/daughters, wife of gay king willing to have 3some w/brother, and greyjoy & his sister?

how does the gay king have more men than his older brother stenis. heck how does he have more men than the lannisters, the richest family?

robb stark is like a brother to him. now he betrays his adopted family after a few days w/his real dad??? wtfbbq!?

incest is the targaryens fault. if the king's fucking his sister, why can't you?

gay king is fabulous and is life of the party. his bro is born of salt and smoke - a ham. also he cuts off fingertips while giving knighthood, what a dick.

tywin may be ruthless and rich but i guess he doesn't shit gold and isn't a very good battlefield commander.

theon is an asshole.

Last edited:

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Another cool character cut from the book: Patchface

The shadows came to dance, my lord, dance my lord, dance my lord
The shadows came to stay, my lord, stay my lord, stay my lord

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Absolutely. Tyrion and to a lesser extent Arya and Jon Snow about the only characters with their own dedicated chapters that normal people can root for. Tyrion in particular is one of the most interesting characters ever to grace a book. I'm happy that the series was able to bring that character to life as well as they did. He was the easiest character to completely screw up and one of the most loved ones from the books. So they had to knock it out of the park.

And they did knock it out of the park. Peter Dinklage is tearing that role up.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

If you can't even follow names better than 'Gay King', it's sort of sad, but we can be here to spoon feed you. The characters name is Renly.

It's on the wiki for the books, but the long and short of Stannis was he got the bigger kindgom, but the riches and resources proved to be found in Renly's cut.

Lannister's armys are thinned out.

Greyjoy's intentions are up in the air now unless you go to the wiki and read ahead.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

That's one issue I have with the TV series, they cut out way too much, though I guess they had no choice since the books are long as fuck. As I watched the series, I expected people who didn't read the books would be rather confused at different points.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
The problem I have with the show is that we now have some 10 unique plot lines running and each might get 5 minutes per episode. Therefore it feels like everything advances at a snail's pace.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

The show gives a much more sympathetic portrayal of Theon than the books do.

In book 1 Theon fights with Robb and Robb trusts him, but I don't remember any real indication that Theon has a man crush on Robb. Absolutely no getting down on his knees and swearing that they are like brothers. In book 2 while he did suggest that Robb send his father the offer it was really suggested out of personal greed (Theon wanting to be a king after his father dies). IIRC there was no hesitation in him turning on Robb (no writing a warning letter and then burning it). The idea to
attack and take Winterfell
is totally Theon's also.

In short, he's a douche. But,
he's totally going to get what's coming to him and much, much more. You just have to wait a few seasons. :)

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
The problem I have with the show is that we now have some 10 unique plot lines running and each might get 5 minutes per episode. Therefore it feels like everything advances at a snail's pace.

Much faster than the books. The show is great after you read the books. It's like a visual Cliff Notes! It is fun ready pages of nothing .. IE: Tyrion and his whores or pages of what's in Sansa mind.

Sansa is the best character.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005

And that is less than half of what is in the book!

Seriously, having a cast sheet and a map while reading the book is VERY handy. I didn't have that and ended up re-reading some chapters several times... (who did what to who? Whosit is relater to whatsit through that guy but is sleeping with who and is envious of who? Where does he come from again? Who is this woman?)

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008

Agreed. I loved the books & love the show, but damn, they need to cut more unnecessary plotlines out. The book fanboys will go nuts though, so its highly unlikely that more will get cut.

I would watch 10 episodes of just Arya & her plotline. (someone may have suggested this already).

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
A drinking game every time the word 'book' is mentioned would surely have us all shitfaced by dawn....

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Agreed. I loved the books & love the show, but damn, they need to cut more unnecessary plotlines out. The book fanboys will go nuts though, so its highly unlikely that more will get cut.

I'm about a 1/3 of the way through the 3rd book and there really is a A LOT of useless fluff that can easily be cut out or down. And some of the characters have zero interest to me. I don't know how many more "Bran" dreaming chapters I can handle before I start skipping them. Same thing with the aimless wondering of Dani. It's just getting far too drawn out for me to really keep interest. And the Sansa chapters just make me loathe just about everything about teenage melodrama. Those are almost entirely skippable. The only remotely interesting in those to me is her odd relationship with Sandor (The Hound).

I'm with you on Arya. She's easily one of the most interesting characters in the book behind Tyrion.