Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I thought he did a damn good job of getting people to hate him when he stripped Sansa naked and had his guard beat her bloody in front of the entire court. Could just be me though but the whores scene was a bit over the top imo.

beheading a couple of girls father in front of them didn't seem over the top to you?

Should they have Joffrey playing with dolls and having a nanny read him fables?

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I thought he did a damn good job of getting people to hate him when he stripped Sansa naked and had his guard beat her bloody. Could just be me though but the whores scene was a bit over the top imo.

He did a damn good job getting "reader hate" with the Arya/buthcer's boy incident, very early on in book one.

I'm not sure why Alky thinks there is a slow build up of hate towards Joffrey, because it was pretty immediate for me :) Every time Joffrey shows up in the book he does something heinous.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Either way I don't think the scene with the whores last episode was necessary. He's a big enough doucher without adding in random awful things for him to do.

Also if I was the whore who was about to be beaten to near death, I'd say fuck it and try and kick his little ass.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I never said slow build up bro. I said the book gets more time to show it.

People will argue anything here it's clear.

The end result is Joffrey is a maniac and many 'tv viewers' as witnessed above already have a hard time keeping up with the story line. They have to dumb it down for everyone.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Either way I don't think the scene with the whores last episode was necessary. He's a big enough doucher without adding in random awful things for him to do.

Also if I was the whore who was about to be beaten to near death, I'd say fuck it and try and kick his little ass.

Sure you would. You'd take being tortured to death, over a beating by another girl.

The point of this was his Uncle hired those women. The Uncle was defied by Joffrey. It's showing how Joffrey is quickly alienating himself even from those trying to support him.

This is the point of that beating.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
yeah it was not vital to the storyline, but they had to put something and this was the idea they came up with. Deal with it.
The passage serves as the confirmation that Joffrey isn't just a evil boy, but that he's a true psycho, because he prefers violence to sex. That's something that was not clear before, maybe he would just be a violent man who beats his wife, now we know it's worse (by "we" I mean anyone who has not read the books, such as me).

EDIT: yeah I agree with alki too, the imp was clearly defined as an opposing force to Cersei, but Joffrey's relationship with him was completely absent from the series. Now we know there's bad blood.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The season has 10 episodes and the material in the book could easily fill 12 episodes.

They have to condense the story line and that sometimes requires one or two heinous scenes to illustrate how cruel Joffrey is instead of using several scenes to do the same thing.

It's going to become an even bigger conundrum for the show producers in the upcoming seasons. A Storm of Swords is even longer than a Clash of Kings (second book / season 2)

Last edited:

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
It's going to become an even bigger conundrum for the show producers in the upcoming seasons. A Storm of Swords is even longer than a Clash of Kings (second book / season 2)

DB Weiss and David Benioff have said in several interviews that book 3 may end up being 2 seasons.

"Well… “A Storm of Swords” is too long to fit in a single season. And as readers know, “A Feast for Crows” and “A Dance with Dragons” takes place during roughly the same time frame, so we’ll have to fold those together. The plan, if we’re lucky enough to be given the opportunity to see it through, is to use as many seasons as we need to tell the story as a whole, to do justice to George’s entire opus."

The interview on HBOGO, one of them said was the that the plan was for a 10 year show :)

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
DB Weiss and David Benioff have said in several interviews that book 3 may end up being 2 seasons.

"Well… “A Storm of Swords” is too long to fit in a single season. And as readers know, “A Feast for Crows” and “A Dance with Dragons” takes place during roughly the same time frame, so we’ll have to fold those together. The plan, if we’re lucky enough to be given the opportunity to see it through, is to use as many seasons as we need to tell the story as a whole, to do justice to George’s entire opus."

The interview on HBOGO, one of them said was the that the plan was for a 10 year show :)

Maybe by then we will have book 6 :D

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
I feel like something ended up on the cutting room floor in regards to that whole section.

The train traveling to the wall with Yoren was supposedly dispersed after a fight with Amory Loch(sp?). Arya then meets back up with Gendry, Hot Pie, and the kid that gets killed. They then assault the camp of Gregor Clegane (for some reason I can't remember) but get captured in the process. The Tickler (The guy asking the questions) is questioning the members of the village they had just overtaken for the whereabouts of Beric Dondarrion (The guy Ned sent off to capture Gregor Clegane in the last season) and his band of outlaws who are now prowling the riverlands wreaking havoc.

I think all you really need to know is that Beric Dondarrion is fighting against at least the Lannister forces in the Riverlands and is a huge thorn in their side, and Poliver took Arya's sword.

Thanks. One more question, the names Arya was reciting seems like a list of all the people that have screwed her or her family over. Correct?

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks. One more question, the names Arya was reciting seems like a list of all the people that have screwed her or her family over. Correct?

Yea. In the show Yoren tells her that's how he coped with the horrible things he has witnessed in life so she picks up the habit.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Not sure if that's the criteria totally, these are the people she wants dead.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
She is making a list of people she wants to kill. I wont post spoilers, but that is an important distinction.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Question... I am coming from no HBO land, so I am just guessing....

Has the hound showed up and gone with Arya yet? I think you said so in post # 1538, but I do not want to spoil it

Arya is just deciding what she wants to do with herself. The books get REALLY funky with her later. I really want to see where they go with her, but there are quite a few things still WAY up in the air, even after all the books....

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000

Has the hound showed up and gone with Arya yet? I think you said so in post # 1538, but I do not want to spoil it

Arya is just deciding what she wants to do with herself. The books get REALLY funky with her later. I really want to see where they go with her, but there are quite a few things still WAY up in the air, even after all the books....
Not yet as far as I can tell.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
GRRM needs to either get ona tread mill or the typewriter, or we will never see the end of these books.

LOL! If you've read his blog, he was taking the rest of the year off after he finished the last book. Then there was football season, now he's traveling. In the last year he has never mentioned writing the next book. He has a few other writing projects he's mentioned.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
RE: Magic - One of the great things about this series (books and TV) is that it does not overly rely on magic to advance the story. In fact, almost all of the characters take same view of magic as you or I, e.g. they don't believe in that shit. They don't believe in the weird shit beyond the Wall, they don't believe there are any more dragons, they don't believe in "green dreams", etc.

Not to beat the LOTR comparisons into the ground, but in Tolkien's world, magic was just a matter of fact. Martin made an effort to avoid that approach because he felt that it was sort of cheating.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
GF and I didn't like the last part of giving birth to a shadow creature.

It felt too 'fantasy' for us. Do you know what I mean? I liked the series so far as a serious period piece with a splash of fantasy, not become a cartoon LOTR.

Anyone else agree? Or explain the ending?

I kind of agree with this. Yes I know this is a fantasy series (and I read the first 2 books), but this scene just goes against the tone set by the rest of the show. Not to mention the fact that it wasnt even described explicitly in the books (just implied), so there wasnt even any reason for them to do it this way.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

The Hound doesn't leave Kings Landing until the battle of the Blackwater, which I think is going to be Ep 9 of this season.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Ok so here the real question. Why did they have Joffrey have one whore beat another one bloody?

I swear to god I don't remember that in the books.

because he's a fucking psychopath?

but he lacks the courage, for lack of a better word, to do any of itself (hence why he has to use his knights to beat Sansa)

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
because he's a fucking psychopath?

but he lacks the courage, for lack of a better word, to do any of itself (hence why he has to use his knights to beat Sansa)

It kind of felt like they have some sort of whore quota in each episode.