Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
It's cool that the thread title is

Game of Thrones - HBO TV Series

and is unreadable because of all the book talk.

Don't worry, people in the walking dead thread couldn't understand this either.
Yeah, I can't follow the thread anymore...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
The brothel scene was only 4 minutes. Most of that was dialogue, letting you know what kind of person Littlefinger really is, and also foreshadowing Qyburn. There was only 10 seconds of sex in the brothel scene.

Theon's scene was in the book.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Doubt it as it's not a forum issue and off topic means just that but that's what spoiler tags are for to answer questions people ask about it.
I've read the books, so maybe it doesn't pertain to me, but it does seem a little annoying when people don't identify book spoiler talk as such.

if I were just a tv-show watcher, I'd assume that the spoiler tags only applied to the tv show unless otherwise noted.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I've read the books, so maybe it doesn't pertain to me, but it does seem a little annoying when people don't identify book spoiler talk as such.

if I were just a tv-show watcher, I'd assume that the spoiler tags only applied to the tv show unless otherwise noted.

Why would people use spoilers for a tv show that already happened when people can just not read the thread until they watch it?

Granted it's something special if it's about a leaked early episode like what happened with episode 2 but still spoilers are just that and not something to be used about what has happened already with the current episode but sadly some people use them the wrong way.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
2nd episode seemed like just a lot of setup. Nothing really "happened". Still, excited for next week.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
They chimed in on the walking dead thread.

I didn't notice that and I guess it can work but a lot of the stuff are questions about the differences in the book and the show that the spoilers are used for so it should be fine.

It's one thing if people start showing all the major spoilers without them and another about discussion about the small stuff like has been happening with the spoilers to figure out parts they have left out / added or to make sense as some are a bit odd for those that haven't read the books.

But spoilers are fine for that but using them for both makes no sense as the other parts are the peoples fault for reading the thread without seeing the latest episode first.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

bit tired of that comic, its simplistic and stupid. the reason hbo can take risks and go balls out with adult content is because its subscription and not a la carte. they can take the risk of throwing 60 million at a show, if it fails, they still have support. a la carte and you only have the fans of a franchise paying in for a short while, and when that happens, you get people playing it safe, look at the movies, everything is pg freaking 13. you get what you pay for, you pay for the system that makes game of thrones, not the individual series...that comic guy usually is pretty insightful, but this time he is full of fail.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I didn't notice that and I guess it can work but a lot of the stuff are questions about the differences in the book and the show that the spoilers are used for so it should be fine.

It's one thing if people start showing all the major spoilers without them and another about discussion about the small stuff like has been happening with the spoilers to figure out parts they have left out / added or to make sense as some are a bit odd for those that haven't read the books.

But spoilers are fine for that but using them for both makes no sense as the other parts are the peoples fault for reading the thread without seeing the latest episode first.

I just don't understand why it's interesting or relevant to discuss the differences between the books and show. Everybody knows that what works in one medium doesn't necessarily work in another medium, and there are always going to be differences. Just accept it and enjoy it for what it is.

Also... A Clash of Kings has been out for 14 years. If people wanted to discuss that, there has been plenty of time for that already.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Also... A Clash of Kings has been out for 14 years. If people wanted to discuss that, there has been plenty of time for that already.

How many like me were made aware of the books when the TV series premiered last year?

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
How many like me were made aware of the books when the TV series premiered last year?

I was made aware of the books a few months before the show premiered. I read the first 3 books before it aired and then stopped half way through book 4. I absolutely fucking loved books 2 and 3, and got irritated, bored, and frustrated with book 4. I need to get back to it one of these days. :\

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I just don't understand why it's interesting or relevant to discuss the differences between the books and show.

Stop there.

If you do not understand why, then there is no point in discussing it.

Many people like to talk about the differences, mainly because they LIKE BOTH and are interested to see how they will keep them meshed, especially when you have some pretty major plot elements being dropped or altered.

I thought they kept fairly close to "script" in the first, although arguably condensed and definitely altered in some ways (age being a primary, but not crippling, factor).

The thing that works here is simple, for some reason people like to see books brought to "life". But if you are REALLY good at it, you may throw in a few differences that makes even the precognitient wonder "what will happen next?".

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Stop there.

If you do not understand why, then there is no point in discussing it.

Many people like to talk about the differences, mainly because they LIKE BOTH and are interested to see how they will keep them meshed, especially when you have some pretty major plot elements being dropped or altered.

I thought they kept fairly close to "script" in the first, although arguably condensed and definitely altered in some ways (age being a primary, but not crippling, factor).

The thing that works here is simple, for some reason people like to see books brought to "life". But if you are REALLY good at it, you may throw in a few differences that makes even the precognitient wonder "what will happen next?".

I don't think its out of line to discuss differences from the book... for what has already happened in the show. I can see how it'd be annoying when book spoilers are posted for future episodes - that was the problem I ran into in the walking dead thread, since I had not yet read the comics.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Your post #1415 is a very clear book spoiler and much appreciated that you make the extra effort to denote as such.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I don't think its out of line to discuss differences from the book... for what has already happened in the show. I can see how it'd be annoying when book spoilers are posted for future episodes - that was the problem I ran into in the walking dead thread, since I had not yet read the comics.

That is where people have to be careful....

I guess the rule of thumb is to kind of pay attention to when the spoiler was posted. A lot of them are posted AFTER the showing, which is kind of a clue that it is coming from someplace other than the show....

But the base line is simple. You do not post anything premature w/o using the spoiler format or being VERY vague about it. Some people seem to forget even that....

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
GF and I agree first 2 episodes have been SUPER DULL. It pales in comparison to first episodes of S1 that hooked you right in.

I hope some fun happens tonight.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
GF and I agree first 2 episodes have been SUPER DULL. It pales in comparison to first episodes of S1 that hooked you right in.

I hope some fun happens tonight.

They have to introduce a slew of new characters. If they were action packed, and not character defining, then people would bitch about that too...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I thought the first two episodes ended too soon. They were hardly SUPER DULL to me with all the ground work that's being put into place defining the new season. If you want just fucking and killing watch the Sopranos.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I thought the first two episodes ended too soon. They were hardly SUPER DULL to me with all the ground work that's being put into place defining the new season. If you want just fucking and killing watch Spartacus

FTFY