Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
so when Robb stark sent 2000 of his men to certain death vs the Lannisters army of 30k, did the 2000 men know they were being sacrificed?

It doesn't work like that with those that are not passive and cowardly. The whole better to die free than to die oppressed deal.

Most of the time when a new king took over if you were military or educated you were executed.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Most of the time when a new king took over if you were military or educated you were executed.

Enemies are usually given good terms so that they'll surrender, and a hostage is taken to make sure they'll keep the terms. They usually prefer to send stubborn enemies to the wall rather than execute them. When Robert became king he pardoned almost everyone.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
so when Robb stark sent 2000 of his men to certain death vs the Lannisters army of 30k, did the 2000 men know they were being sacrificed?
I thought it was more than that.

And their job was to hold the other army in place in a defensive move. Keeps the enemy from combining his army. Was a smart tactical move.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
BTW I am half way through book 4 and I stopped reading. I will finish it sooner or later, but with the first three I read them day after day and now I don't care anymore.

I don't like the characters in book 4 and I don't really care for any of them. Sad.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
BTW I am half way through book 4 and I stopped reading. I will finish it sooner or later, but with the first three I read them day after day and now I don't care anymore.

I don't like the characters in book 4 and I don't really care for any of them. Sad.

book 4 was bad, but the 5th one is excellent so far(im 1/3 in).

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
It doesn't work like that with those that are not passive and cowardly. The whole better to die free than to die oppressed deal.

It doesn't work like that for those who are fools and who can't think for themselves. Those who would rather die so that their elites can continue to live the good life will gladly do so.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Very cool...Roy Detrice has been cast in season 2. For those that don't know he voiced the first 3 audio books only to be replaced in the 4th book. People complained loudly and he returned to do book 5. He is an incredible fantastic narrator.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/HBO-Game-Thrones-Casting-1036227.aspx

More importantly is Cassie from Skins is playing Gilly in Season 2! (I love my Skins) that makes 2 Skins actors in GoT (Chris also plays Gendry)

My question is though, as I am just wrapping up book 3 (the bombs dropped were AWESOME), how much of a part does Gilly have in book 2? Very minor IIRC.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Wait. They are casting Margery Tyrell too? I don't think she's ANYWHERE in book 2 is she? It's beginning to seem they are combining books here. Or am I going nuts?

Not good either way.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
more murder:

In related “GOT” casting news, Karl Davies, who starred in the UK soap “Emmerdale,” has signed on as Alton Lannister, HBO confirmed to Access Hollywood. Alton is not in the books by author George R. R. Martin, and no character description was immediately available.

Glayde

Sep 30, 2004
They've changed various character names that were similar to avoid confusion for new viewers. It could be that Alton is one of those.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
more murder:

In related “GOT” casting news, Karl Davies, who starred in the UK soap “Emmerdale,” has signed on as Alton Lannister, HBO confirmed to Access Hollywood. Alton is not in the books by author George R. R. Martin, and no character description was immediately available.

There's speculation that this character may replace Cleos Frey, whose mother was a Lannister and who sides with the Lannisters. He's a minor character so I would have no problem with this substitution in order to make his allegiance clearer to the audience.

If you don't remember Cleos [WARNING spoiler for A Storm of Swords]:
Catelyn sends him with Brienne to take Jaime Lannister back to King's Landing.

Of course, the other explanation is that there is a Lannister subplot involving a cooking show (Casterly Cookoff!) in order to appeal to to the reality TV/cooking audience. :)

Last edited:

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Wait. They are casting Margery Tyrell too? I don't think she's ANYWHERE in book 2 is she? It's beginning to seem they are combining books here. Or am I going nuts?

Not good either way.

Not 100% sure without checking, but I think she makes an appearance in Kings Landing in ACOK after the Battle of the Blackwater.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Perhaps they are going to include the wedding between Margery and you know...

Also, Alton could be a conglomeration of characters that surround Cersei in book two.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
That was fricking awesome. :)

As for the other one, welcome to six weeks ago.

I've made it to A Storm of Swords in my reread; still avoiding the other thread. :p

I'm 80% (thanks kindle) through SoS re-read. I had forgotten a bunch - and like major plotpoints at that. I read them 8 years ago and stopped about 110 pages short of the end of SOS. I think I know why now. SoS has its moments, but in between them it reads an awful lot like a later Wheel of Time book. It's like Martin lost his joy of writing the story and is instead just venting his frustration with the publishing schedule with a series of intentionally shocking events.

I've never read AFFC. I'm kind of dreading it. I love the first two books so much.