Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I think you are wrong about Catelyn.

She doesn't hate John, she resents him because he is a reminder of Ned's cheating.

She kidnapped Tyrion because she was led to believe that he tried to kill her son.

And the war started the second Robert dies and Catelyn had nothing to do with that either.

why did the Treasurer guy lie about the dagger being Tyrions?

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001

She doesn't hate John, she resents him because he is a reminder of Ned's cheating.

She kidnapped Tyrion because she was led to believe that he tried to kill her son.

And the war started the second Robert dies and Catelyn had nothing to do with that either.

She resents John but also hates him. She even told him as he was getting ready to leave for the wall that it should have been him that fell instead of Bran. You can resent what a person stands for and yet still show kindness towards that person but she has none for him.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
one thing that I enjoy about the books is that, for the most part, the characters have motives.

it's understandable to me that every time she sees Jon Snow, she's reminded of the fact that hers was a political marriage and that Eddard loved someone else.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

As soon as it was known that Catelyn had kidnapped Tyrion, Tywin sends Gregor Clegane to burn and destroy the Riverlands, while he gathers his army. Ned, while Robert is still alive and hunting, then sends Beric Dondarrion to kill Gregor, and demands Tywin answer for Gregor's crimes or be branded a traitor. Tywin has assembled his army and gives Jaime half the army to attack Riverrun, Catelyn's girlhood home. I'd say war has already begun at this point. Then after all that King Robert is gored by a boar.

Before she even left, Maester Luwin cautioned everyone about acting hastily. Her husband told her not to do anything rash. Everyone told her there wasn't enough evidence, and making accusations against the Queen's brother could be considered treason. But she went ahead and ignored all the sensible advice, and disobeyed her husband. Then to top off her stupidity she takes him to her sister; the only thing that might have been legal would be to take him before the king.

The show has to skip lots of small scenes that might give you more evidence of how much she despises Jon, but the book gives a fuller picture. Also I think the shows wants her to be a little more sympathetic than she is in the books.

If the show gets to season 3, you'll see how strongly she hates Jon.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
brilliant:

tumblr_lohxxhnacw1qzfmu4o1_500.jpg

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Stannis is Robert's younger brother. Stephen Dillane is definitely older than Mark Addy.
that's pretty common in casting, though... the oldest Golden Girl was the youngest one in real life :p

I've always pictured Stannis as being older-looking than Robert, at least, on account of being thin and dour instead of fat and drunk.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Stannis is Robert's younger brother. Stephen Dillane is definitely older than Mark Addy.

They can probably use makeup to make him appear at least the same age or slightly younger. Stannis' main characteristic is his constantly dour and serious nature. Dillane should be able to pull that off fine.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Casting for Melisandre is perfect. Stannis not so much (based on that picture in the article). Looks way too old and weak to be a Baratheon.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The show has to skip lots of small scenes that might give you more evidence of how much she despises Jon, but the book gives a fuller picture. Also I think the shows wants her to be a little more sympathetic than she is in the books.

If the show gets to season 3, you'll see how strongly she hates Jon.
I haven't seen the TV show only read the book.

I'd have to go back and re-read to get the events right around the start of the war.

The kidnapping of Tyrion didn't help, but I think the war was on track no matter what.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I'd have to go back and re-read to get the events right around the start of the war.

The kidnapping of Tyrion didn't help, but I think the war was on track no matter what.

super minor Dance With Dragons spoilers...

Cersei runs through her "what if" scenario and the plan was that Eddard would have been exiled to the Wall, Robert would have taken over Winterfell, and Sansa would have been kept in King's Landing as a hostage to prevent the Starks from stirring (married off to a Lannister, but not Joffrey)

but Joffrey ordering Eddard's execution fucked all that up.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

The war was already underway, but I suspect that due to Ned's defiance re: Joffrey's birthright to the throne that there would be war no matter what.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
super minor Dance With Dragons spoilers...

Cersei runs through her "what if" scenario and the plan was that Eddard would have been exiled to the Wall, Robert would have taken over Winterfell, and Sansa would have been kept in King's Landing as a hostage to prevent the Starks from stirring (married off to a Lannister, but not Joffrey)

but Joffrey ordering Eddard's execution fucked all that up.
Great!! Now I know that Cersei is still alive!! Bastard :)

BTW the plan was pretty self evident, except Sansa not marrying Joffrey.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

Then you should know that she calls him bastard to his face. The only time she ever called him Jon in his life was when Bran was hurt and she tells him it should have been him.

When Ned decided to go to Kingslanding, she told him she wouldn't allow Jon to stay at Winterfell. Otherwise Ned wouldn't have let him join the Nights Watch so young.

Last edited:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
From the Norway story...

Jon Snow from Channel 4 News asks why...

Glad to know that Jon Snow is still around and living in the north, but why did he leave the wall?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so when Robb stark sent 2000 of his men to certain death vs the Lannisters army of 30k, did the 2000 men know they were being sacrificed?