Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I think it keeps the book engaging.

I never worried about Harry's safety while reading the Harry Potter books.

how is that ultimately any different than coming to expect every character you care about to die in these books - valar morghulis - every man must die :p

it was heartbreaking at first but now I just come to expect it, I don't see how its that different, just on the opposite end

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
I just finished book 3, and I loved it. But I am really irritated that book 4 contains people and events that are the least interesting to me. I can't wait to read book 5. Arya, Jon, and Daenerys are my favorite characters.

I've been a big fan of Tyrion as well, but man he gets shit on a lot. His character had so much promise.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
argggh please. please please stop discussion of the books.

A) now due to what I'm sure where meant to be innocent posts, I know that Arya, Jon, Daeneyrs make it to book 4 (at the least...)

B) Tyrion apparently does not.

C) ARggggggggggggggggggh!

Every little post about the books is going to lead to little tidbits slipping through the cracks.
Technically speaking, this thread is about the HBO series.. that which has aired and only covers book 1.
Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh!

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
argggh please. please please stop discussion of the books.

A) now due to what I'm sure where meant to be innocent posts, I know that Arya, Jon, Daeneyrs make it to book 4 (at the least...)

B) Tyrion apparently does not.

C) ARggggggggggggggggggh!

Every little post about the books is going to lead to little tidbits slipping through the cracks.
Technically speaking, this thread is about the HBO series.. that which has aired and only covers book 1.
Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh!

Gah, sorry Homerboy! I didn't really post any major spoilers though. I think you misinterpreted some of what I said. I'll leave it at that.

Edit: By the way, steer clear of the new book thread! There are some massive spoilers just a few posts in. I really wish I hadn't entered that thread. :(

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I came here to add that:

Most of the character chicks are okay looking like Cersi, Sansa, etc (sure I'd fuck them all for sure). Strangely, it's the extras that are fucking HOT (i.e. whores).

I cannot fucking stand Daenerys. She's fucking annoying looking and her stupid doe-eyed look she calls 'serious acting' reminds me of Olsen twins. Yes, one considers her cute/hot, but she really rubs me the wrong way.

Ros is wipes the floor on everyone. She's the hottest girl for sure. For those who can't recognize the name, she's the whore that gave Tyrion a blowjob first thing in EP1 and she moves south to King's Landing to work at Littlefinger's brothel.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I came here to add that:

Most of the character chicks are okay looking like Cersi, Sansa, etc (sure I'd fuck them all for sure). Strangely, it's the extras that are fucking HOT (i.e. whores).

I cannot fucking stand Daenerys. She's fucking annoying looking and her stupid doe-eyed look she calls 'serious acting' reminds me of Olsen twins. Yes, one considers her cute/hot, but she really rubs me the wrong way.

Ros is wipes the floor on everyone. She's the hottest girl for sure. For those who can't recognize the name, she's the whore that gave Tyrion a blowjob first thing in EP1 and she moves south to King's Landing to work at Littlefinger's brothel.
Roz

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Did anyone else enjoy the books more BEFORE he added the dragons and magic and all that stuff?

He could have removed all the super natural elements out of the book and it still would have been a great book, perhaps and even better book.

Especially by book 3 where he is using the magic to 'cheat' and make things happened that wouldn't happen otherwise.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Especially by book 3 where he is using the magic to 'cheat' and make things happened that wouldn't happen otherwise.

They call that an asspull because the author pulled it out of his ass. It's ruined many a good series before and since.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Did anyone else enjoy the books more BEFORE he added the dragons and magic and all that stuff?

He could have removed all the super natural elements out of the book and it still would have been a great book, perhaps and even better book.

spoiler tag what you're talking about, I totally forget book 3.

but it hasn't bothered me too much... its use hasn't felt deus ex machina-y to me like in a lot of books, and it helps that there aren't really any Mary Sue's in the book (other than possibly Jon Snow)

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

I get what you're saying, but there are supernatural elements in the prologue of the first book.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Annoying as fuck. I want to donkey punch both her and that douche prince.

I guess they're acting very well to be engaging.
book 2-3 spoilers:

Sansa is annoying early on, but she gets redeemed a bit after Joffrey spends a few months torturing her... it's easy to forget that, at least before her dad gets beheaded, she really is just a naive kid. IIRC, she's only like 12-13 in the first book.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Sansa is very naive and probably Martin's one big failure as a character.

As the second in line to the lord of the north she would have been raised with the knowledge that she was to be married off to someone in order to form an allegiance. Thus her only purpose in life is to help her father/brother retain their positions of power and she would have been trained in that regard.

You would have thought that she would have had a little bit more knowledge on that fact. Instead she seems completely oblivious to the fact that people are interested in her because of what she is instead of who she is as a person.

And when you compare her to her mom she is a complete fail. Her mom has such a great grip on what to do and how to do it while Sansa is walking around "oh look at that knight, he is so pretty..."

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I just finished book 3, and I loved it. But I am really irritated that book 4 contains people and events that are the least interesting to me. I can't wait to read book 5. Arya, Jon, and Daenerys are my favorite characters.

I've been a big fan of Tyrion as well, but man he gets shit on a lot. His character had so much promise.

arya is in book 4

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

As the second in line to the lord of the north she would have been raised with the knowledge that she was to be married off to someone in order to form an allegiance. Thus her only purpose in life is to help her father/brother retain their positions of power and she would have been trained in that regard.

You would have thought that she would have had a little bit more knowledge on that fact. Instead she seems completely oblivious to the fact that people are interested in her because of what she is instead of who she is as a person.

And when you compare her to her mom she is a complete fail. Her mom has such a great grip on what to do and how to do it while Sansa is walking around "oh look at that knight, he is so pretty..."
is that so different than any other 11 year-old girl?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
She's one of his most believable characters.

What? Catelyn is evil and detestable. She hates Jon, who's one of the nicest guys in the book. She kidnaps Tyrion, another basically good guy, starting a war. Without getting into spoilers, lets just say she doesn't get any nicer or smarter.

Sansa however is learning, and isn't as naive as she use to be.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
She's one of his most believable characters.

What? Catelyn is evil and detestable. She hates Jon, who's one of the nicest guys in the book. She kidnaps Tyrion, another basically good guy, starting a war. Without getting into spoilers, lets just say she doesn't get any nicer or smarter.

I wouldn't say Catelyn is evil, that is a misunderstanding of her character. She is misguided and ruled by emotion.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Wait...you mean you think using magic will make things happen that would have happened otherwise? Isn't that why it's "MAGIC?" Because it makes things happen that wouldn't have otherwise happened?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

She does get better later on as she realizes the world sucks and the stories she dreams about are more or less lies but she is a very young kid in the books so can't blame her to much.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
one problem could be that while she's 15 in the tv show, she's 11 in the books -- huge difference in terms of expected maturity.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Wait...you mean you think using magic will make things happen that would have happened otherwise? Isn't that why it's "MAGIC?" Because it makes things happen that wouldn't have otherwise happened?
Cheats as in he cheats his readers.

He makes you believe that certain things can or will happen and then he changes the rules so to speak.

It is a dangerous thing to do as a writer because now people are less likely to trust you in the future.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

I think you are wrong about Catelyn.

She doesn't hate John, she resents him because he is a reminder of Ned's cheating.

She kidnapped Tyrion because she was led to believe that he tried to kill her son.

And the war started the second Robert dies and Catelyn had nothing to do with that either.