Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Has anyone bought the books 1-4 box set? I saw reports of pages missing in it, so I didn't want to waste my time if it was poorly done. :\

Definitely don't get the Kindle version of that boxed set. It comes as one large book (file), and there's no easy way to get to the individual books. Thankfully Amazon has no problem reversing Kindle purchases as long as you ask them in time...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Definitely don't get the Kindle version of that boxed set. It comes as one large book (file), and there's no easy way to get to the individual books. Thankfully Amazon has no problem reversing Kindle purchases as long as you ask them in time...

I ended up ordering the physical books... let's hope I don't have any troubles! Let's also hope Amazon's expected delivery of next Monday is wrong... especially with Amazon Prime :eek:.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I have a first edition hardcover of the first book with the silver dust jacket wonder if its worth anything

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
I have a first edition hardcover of the first book with the silver dust jacket wonder if its worth anything

I have an old copy of the first book somewhere... what does the cover of your book look like?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
massive book spoilers!!! if you're reading this via email, skip this post!

Joffrey breaks off his marriage to Sansa, forces her to marry Tyrion (after having Sansa beaten for the fun of it), and is engaged to a girl from a house that the Lannisters align with (House Tyrell... family of the super fabulous Knight of Flowers, Renly's lover).

on his wedding night, he's poisoned and dies.

even before that, Tywin Lannister basically shuts Cersei down and controls everything himself. as of the last book, she was arrested for murdering a priest and is awaiting trial.

No, she is arrested because the Kettelback dude told about his fling with her.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have to say, I was disappointed that
Khal Drogo died. I was hoping he'd take his army across and side with the Stark Clan against the Lannisters...then put Daenerys on the throne.
I suppose had that happened...we wouldn't be about to have dragons though...

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
It's implied but it is nice to think that he pummeled the Lannister soldiers to death with his wooden sword and made his escape.

I think the screaming gave it away......

I need to read more to see if he explicitly states this or if he is a "man in the mask" later on in the series.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I think the screaming gave it away......

I need to read more to see if he explicitly states this or if he is a "man in the mask" later on in the series.

I finished the 4th one and he is not mentioned at all again so I doubt he matters anymore.

Seeing how the season is over I think it's safe to say any spoilers will only involve book information now or until the next season starts.

Last edited:

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
p2eb4.png

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Didn't read the books but watched all 10 episodes and I'm hooked. Unfortunate that we have to wait almost a year until the next season/book.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010

I wouldn't get the Kindle version of these books. I got them for my GF on her Kindle, but the maps are pretty much indiscernable on the small Kindle screen and you cannot zoom in (at least I can't figure out a way to). Also, flipping to the appendix to look at the family lineages are quite cumbersome on a Kindle, and this is something you do rather often reading the GRR Martin books.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I wouldn't get the Kindle version of these books. I got them for my GF on her Kindle, but the maps are pretty much indiscernable on the small Kindle screen and you cannot zoom in (at least I can't figure out a way to). Also, flipping to the appendix to look at the family lineages are quite cumbersome on a Kindle, and this is something you do rather often reading the GRR Martin books.
I didn't realize there was an appendix till I finished the book!

Luckily I didn't find it that hard to follow along without one. Would rather have better maps or maps within the book since they talk about so many places that aren't on the maps.

A map of the area around the Trident would have been really helpful since so much of the book takes place around there.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I didn't realize there was an appendix till I finished the book!

Luckily I didn't find it that hard to follow along without one. Would rather have better maps or maps within the book since they talk about so many places that aren't on the maps.

A map of the area around the Trident would have been really helpful since so much of the book takes place around there.

Yeah, she didn't either until she finished the book. She's not a fantasy book reading kind of person, so it took her extra effort to follow the multitude of character names not knowing there's an appendix. I felt bad and got her the paperbacks :p