Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Minor note, the ages in the character cheat sheet are wrong since they are taken from the book rather than the increased ages in the TV series.

I don't think they actually changed any of the character ages, though some of the actors and actresses are obviously older. IIRC Sansa tells Cersi in the first ep that she's 12, and I think it's mentioned that Danerys is 13.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Honestly, I think this is the ONE PLACE thus far where the series struggles. Without reading the book as I watch, I'd be TOTALLY lost with all that intertwining etc. Hell I'm even still a little confused at times with the book.

They do a pretty good scene by scene blow of the book, but all the nitty-gritty stuff is totally lost. The bloodlines and such suffer greatly I think.

I dunno this happened to me in the first book a LOT....I think I was almost half way and constantly confused at who was who. Obviously by now I'm fine (I've finished 3 books, and waiting for a dance of dragons to come out so I can immediately go from a feast for crows and read that one since they are supposed to occur simultaneously)

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think they actually changed any of the character ages, though some of the actors and actresses are obviously older. IIRC Sansa tells Cersi in the first ep that she's 12, and I think it's mentioned that Danerys is 13.

Nah, they keep saying Jon and Rob at 17 in the show where they're 15 in the book.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I subscribe to HBO but my provider isn't one of the ones listed, I really hope someone rips the episode :\

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Both the crowning scene and the moment of Ned's revelation were fantastically done. Let's hear some non-reader reaction to that episode.

Also, anyone who does manage to watch ep7 on HBO GO, if you comment make sure to use spoiler tags as the majority probably still won't see it until next week.

EDIT: Also forgot, the Tyrion confessing scene was hilarious.

EDIT2: My only complaint was the wolves getting cut out of the Bran scene, that was unfortunate. The direwolves get the short end of the stick in this adaptation.

Last edited:

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
the picture quality on hbo go is horrible. Watching episode 7 actually made me angry because it was so overcompressed and stuttery.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
the picture quality on hbo go is horrible. Watching episode 7 actually made me angry because it was so overcompressed and stuttery.

I'm just going to wait until next week. Too much hassle, and then I'd just have to wait 2 weeks for another episode.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
That episode was so good I'm catching bits and pieces of the 11:00 showing. "I once brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel..." LOL

I have to admit that I don't understand the point of the Theon/Ros scene though.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Both the crowning scene and the moment of Ned's revelation were fantastically done. Let's hear some non-reader reaction to that episode.

Also, anyone who does manage to watch ep7 on HBO GO, if you comment make sure to use spoiler tags as the majority probably still won't see it until next week.

EDIT: Also forgot, the Tyrion confessing scene was hilarious.

EDIT2: My only complaint was the wolves getting cut out of the Bran scene, that was unfortunate. The direwolves get the short end of the stick in this adaptation.

I'm a "non-reader." I thoroughly enjoyed the "crowning scene." I wondered
how long it would take Drago to decide he'd had enough abuse from the "boy king."

Ned's revelation was interesting.
It looks to me like he's put it together that the "boy prince" is the incestuous son of the queen and her brother, the dandy.

The trial of the imp was fairly predicable though. No surprises there. It was pretty well done, just predicable in outcome.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006

Non-reader here, have watched since it premiered. I enjoyed both the scenes you mention, I would say they were the most "satisfying" things to occur in the last few weeks. Which leads me to my big question:

Is this thing going to get any more exciting? I feel like each episode since the first has gotten a little more dull and Days Of Our Medieval Lives. I understand the source material is an epic (if unfinished) saga, but, IMO, the show is just so boring to non-readers. I literally almost fell asleep during this episode, and was tempted to just fast-forward to scenes that looked remotely interesting. I'm not above character development and exposition, it just seems to be moving soooo slowly, and in a million different directions.

I'm starting to get the feeling I got around season 4 of Lost. And in hindsight, I wish I never devoted a minute to that show past its first season. I want to like GoT, I just don't want it to take another two years.

/rant

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Ohs Noes, I saw a ding a ling! Seriously, I love people sometimes. I watched a horses head get sliced off, a humans head get sliced off, whores getting fucked, more tits that I would know what to do with and much much worse... but I saw head #2 RUN!!!! Women who watch this show, and others, have had to see tits, ass, crotch shots and everything else. Why is it so different when it's a man? Oh that's right homophobes is why. Afraid it is going to reach through the screen and slap you across the face?

BTW, I am not gay, I am married and straight. I just can't stand bigots. Is that my favorite scene? Well no. However, am I going to stop watching a great show because I saw a little dick... nope.

I am thoroughly enjoying the show. I don't know why, but I never read Martin. I see it as kind of a double edge sword to read it now. If I read it now, it will give way a lot of what is going to happen. But, also, I think I could follow the story better.

I love how self righteous you are, yet can't resist affirming your heterosexuality ;)

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Non-reader here, have watched since it premiered. I enjoyed both the scenes you mention, I would say they were the most "satisfying" things to occur in the last few weeks. Which leads me to my big question:

Is this thing going to get any more exciting? I feel like each episode since the first has gotten a little more dull and Days Of Our Medieval Lives.

Wait, what? You thought episode 6 and 5 were more boring than all the background stuff in the earlier episodes?? I thought 6 was the best episode yet.

This might not be the show for you - BUT, without spoilers, I'd advise you to stick around for episode 7, because the shit will be hitting the fan next week. If you still don't like it after that, cut your losses.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Ep 6 & 7 were great. Really picking up. Next week should be great. I really hope
Shagga, son of Dolf
is in it and he says
he'll cut off Tyrion's cock and feed it to the goats
:D

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
One more thing I wanted to comment on - by most reports, HBO GO was totally hosed last night because it got crushed by people trying to watch episode 7. I hope that sent a clear message to HBO about the fan base they have for this show. It's not as if they were in desperate need of reassurance since season 2 is already approved, but it was nice to see.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Ned's revelation was interesting.
It looks to me like he's put it together that the "boy prince" is the incestuous son of the queen and her brother, the dandy.

The trial of the imp was fairly predicable though. No surprises there. It was pretty well done, just predicable in outcome.

Yes, and in case you didn't catch it, a comment from Sansa is what made him realize the whole thing. The look on his face after that was priceless. All of Arya's comments during that conversation were very funny as well.

One problem I can see with the TV version of the trial is that Bronn (Tyrion's champion) probably seems to come from nowhere, whereas in the book they had a bit more of a relationship established by then.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One problem I can see with the TV version of the trial is that Bronn (Tyrion's champion) probably seems to come from nowhere, whereas in the book they had a bit more of a relationship established by then.

I assumed he did it because Tyrion saved Lady Stark a few episodes ago :eek:.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
One more thing I wanted to comment on - by most reports, HBO GO was totally hosed last night because it got crushed by people trying to watch episode 7. I hope that sent a clear message to HBO about the fan base they have for this show. It's not as if they were in desperate need of reassurance since season 2 is already approved, but it was nice to see.

It blows today also. I got 3/4 through episode 7 and it started buffering and has been for the last 15 minutes.