Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
uh..

WOW is all I gotta say. I wonder what made Martin say
"You know what, I just wanted to be subtle in the books, but I think this time around I want Loras to shave Renly and follow up with atleast the audio of a gay blowjob"

The
discussion about being a king and what makes a king is something that you only really see later when Catelyn talks to Renly and tries to prevent a battle between him and Stannis. I guess he wanted to emphasize that point earlier...

This, I care not about gay/straight/whatever scene tossed in but really... Loras is a minor character in the first book and Renly is a non-character in the first book. Why in the hell should ANY time be given to these two characters when there is plenty of story to go around. If Martin wanted 2 gay characters in the story then he should have made at least one of them an important one. HBO just being HBO.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
This, I care not about gay/straight/whatever scene tossed in but really... Loras is a minor character in the first book and Renly is a non-character in the first book. Why in the hell should ANY time be given to these two characters when there is plenty of story to go around. If Martin wanted 2 gay characters in the story then he should have made at least one of them an important one. HBO just being HBO.

No

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
How well is this show rating? Very happy with it so far -a pretty good adaption of the books.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Was there any Daenerys/Viserys or Wall stuff in episode 5? I don't remember anything that was outside King's Landing or The Vale.

Not so much, but from what I can tell, (remember, I haven't read the books) they're setting the stage for something in the future..
The King and Ned Stark were discussing the situation...and the King talked about wanting to kill her before she can give birth to the "Dothraki half-breed child," something that Ned objected to vigorously...and leads to him quitting the job as "Hand."

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I finally caught up with the series.

Has it been mentioned that the mountain looks too small?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Fun episode. Gay blowjobs, and how about the 7 year old kid breast feeding! What kind of parent lets their child do that? Reminds me of the movie Bruno where he keeps asking the parents to make their children do more and more ridiculous shit.
A crazy bitch?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I finally caught up with the series.

Has it been mentioned that the mountain looks too small?

I hope you're kidding about the Mountain. It's such a minor thing really. I mean the actor is already huge compared to the rest.

What about Tyrion's eyes?!! They are two different colors. OMG! The series is ruined!

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I hope you're kidding about the Mountain. It's such a minor thing really. I mean the actor is already huge compared to the rest.

What about Tyrion's eyes?!! They are two different colors. OMG! The series is ruined!

Hehe. And Dany's eyes are supposed to be violet. I read somewhere that they tried contacts for that, but that they irritated Emilia's eyes too much. But yeah, the nitpicking over minor appearance details is silly.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hehe. And Dany's eyes are supposed to be violet. I read somewhere that they tried contacts for that, but that they irritated Emilia's eyes too much. But yeah, the nitpicking over minor appearance details is silly.

I was going to point out that "grievous" error too, but didn't want to be that big of a jerk. I mean to argue over why they didn't get an EIGHT FOOT actor is kinda stupid. The dude is already huge and the point is made. It's not even about his size really, its about his personality.

There are a million bigger differences that have been made in the series compared to book thus far (I'm reading then watching the episode). Sure they stray from the original text, but the end point is the same.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
How well is this show rating? Very happy with it so far -a pretty good adaption of the books.

So far it's doing pretty well.

On a totally unrelated note, I just read that Sophie Turner (Sansa) adopted the dog that played the direwolf Lady after the shooting was done. That is pretty cool.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I was going to point out that "grievous" error too, but didn't want to be that big of a jerk. I mean to argue over why they didn't get an EIGHT FOOT actor is kinda stupid. The dude is already huge and the point is made. It's not even about his size really, its about his personality.

There are a million bigger differences that have been made in the series compared to book thus far (I'm reading then watching the episode). Sure they stray from the original text, but the end point is the same.
Hah, I noticed the eye color thing too. And I never said the size of the actor ruined the series for me, it's just fun for me to point out what's different from the books.

Oh and the fact that there aren't 8 foot actors is irrelevant, special effects dude.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Hah, I noticed the eye color thing too. And I never said the size of the actor ruined the series for me, it's just fun for me to point out what's different from the books.

Oh and the fact that there aren't 8 foot actors is irrelevant, special effects dude.

You'd think, that if George Lucas could find a wookie, finding an 8-foot tall actor would be a snap...:p

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
I've had to watch the first 2 episodes twice. A lot of characters and difficult to follow. Hoping it makes more sense as the series goes on

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

Except it's not really irrelevant. Special effects cost money that could be better spent elsewhere, especially if you're going to have to make it realistic when he's interacting with real actors. The only obvious CG I've seen so far were some of the locations like The Wall and The Aerie.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I've had to watch the first 2 episodes twice. A lot of characters and difficult to follow. Hoping it makes more sense as the series goes on

Honestly, I think this is the ONE PLACE thus far where the series struggles. Without reading the book as I watch, I'd be TOTALLY lost with all that intertwining etc. Hell I'm even still a little confused at times with the book.

They do a pretty good scene by scene blow of the book, but all the nitty-gritty stuff is totally lost. The bloodlines and such suffer greatly I think.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Except it's not really irrelevant. Special effects cost money that could be better spent elsewhere, especially if you're going to have to make it realistic when he's interacting with real actors. The only obvious CG I've seen so far were some of the locations like The Wall and The Aerie.

And quite honestly, that CGI was pretty weak.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001

Take a look at some of the links in the OP, such as the character cheat sheet and HBO's interactive guide, they can really be helpful in figuring out who is who. A Song of Ice and Fire is such a complex series that I'm amazed they decided to do this, and they are doing a pretty good job, but they just can't match the sheer amount of content you can present in a book.

Minor note, the ages in the character cheat sheet are wrong since they are taken from the book rather than the increased ages in the TV series.

Last edited: