Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone else NOT find the character (actress) Daenerys to be hot or sexy?
Sure, she's got decent tits, but she's just not that good looking.

Not gorgeous in any classical sense, but HOT? Yes, yes, yes.

She's a field fighting Queen (the character), not some china doll.

She's coming of true age and into her power in the field, on the fly, and in very difficult circumstances. As such, the actress playing her has been well cast.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

She's coming of true age and into her power in the field, on the fly, and in very difficult circumstances. As such, the actress playing her has been well cast.

Ask him how good looking he thinks Drago is ;)

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I was a little disappointed in episode 3. Too many conversations that never happened in the book, plus I thought the acting in the small council meeting near the beginning was extremely stiff. It didn't help that the whole episode was pretty much background. Still, I expect things to get awesome when the action really starts kicking in.

Last edited:

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
fuuuuuuuuuuu i want to comment so much (I'm actually keeping a list of notes - be it critiques or observations or positive comments for each episode) but i fear reading any of the comments above or engaging in discussion only because i'm only about 2/3rds of the way through a storm of swords.

is everything in here only on the first book, or just up to what they've shown?

If you've finished the first book this thread is nearly 100% fine, though someone mentioned a brief bit about Bran from a later book (in spoiler tags), but it wasn't too bad.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

Agreed, she was one of the well casted characters. In fact, I was surprised because almost every other character looks completely different in my mind EXCEPT daenerys (especially the rest of the fucking stark children - geez what happened to the TULLY BLONDE....and even the Lannister Golden Blonde comes across as "Lannister Kinda Blonde, more like Dirty Blonde". And don't get me started on Cersei....supposed to be a fucking goddess, and she comes across as anything BUT.) . She actually looks like what I envisioned her to be

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I was a little disappointed in episode 3. Too many conversations that never happened in the book, plus I thought the acting in the small council meeting near the beginning was extremely stiff. It didn't help that the whole episode was pretty much background. Still, I expect things to get awesome when the action really starts kicking in.

I stumbled upon this Episode 3 recap at EW where the author (who has seen the first 6 eps due to press credentials) ranked the episodes as follows:

6, 5, 2, 4, 1, 3

Of course, this is only one person's opinion, but I'm hoping to agree since he ranks the episode I'm grumbling about dead last, and the best ones are yet to come. :)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Anyone else NOT find the character (actress) Daenerys to be hot or sexy?
Sure, she's got decent tits, but she's just not that good looking.

Actually I think that's a flaw with the casting in its entirety. There's essentially no eye candy except for Jamie and I don't go that way. Cercei is supposed to be drop dead hot and while Lena is good looking and all, I don't bother google image searching her. Danery's slave girls are the hottest things on the show so far. I mean they couldn't just cast one uber hot chick? There's a thousand characters...

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I agree somewhat, it's easy to evoke hatred with characters like joffrey. Making me see the depth in jaime and cersei seems a lot harder.

I know what you're saying but I don't think they depth developed until much later in the story. That's kind of what I'm referring to with the earlier part of my post.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Holy shit this series is awesome. Any chicks like this show? I'm wondering if it's worth getting my girlfriend to watch it.

Yeah, it's awesome. But apparently people want to complain that in the book Cersei was a 10, and in the TV series she's only a 9 1/2.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, it's awesome. But apparently people want to complain that in the book Cersei was a 10, and in the TV series she's only a 9 1/2.

I don't remember them ever describing her in detail in the book other than she had blonde hair. Are people going off of fantasy art alone?

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
I stumbled upon this Episode 3 recap at EW where the author (who has seen the first 6 eps due to press credentials) ranked the episodes as follows:

6, 5, 2, 4, 1, 3

Of course, this is only one person's opinion, but I'm hoping to agree since he ranks the episode I'm grumbling about dead last, and the best ones are yet to come. :)

I'm betting 5 and 6 have some sort of battle scenes which is why they are ranked high. Can't wait.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The problem I had with this episode was they made Kings Landing look to much like a desert compared to a port city.

I would had expected that from cities in the Dorne area but didn't get that from the books about Kings landing.

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Not really. They allude to the handmaiden teaching dany but they don't describe it in detail, and the scene they show in the tv show never actually occured. That being said, I thought that scene was awesome and a worthy addition!

There is absolutely a scene in the book with her and her handmaid where she helps her fall asleep by touching her.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
what happened to the TULLY BLONDE....and even the Lannister Golden Blonde comes across as "Lannister Kinda Blonde, more like Dirty Blonde".

o_O

From Wiki:

Edmure Tully 273 AL - is a head of House Tully. He was lord-paramount of the Riverlands and lord of Riverrun. He has red-brown hair, like most Tullys

Casting continues to be spot on IMO. Petyr, Varys (especially him), and Renly are much as I'd pictured them. I can forgive the somewhat hectic pacing in the small council scene as they were really trying to introduce a bunch of characters in a hurry.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Really?
even when meera and jojen come into play?

books:
bran chapters break my immersion. here i am in this gritty fantasy world, where people die, where there isn't magic all over the place, complex characters... and i get a mushroom trip.

MAJOR SPOILER FROM LATER BOOKS books:
though zombie cat is probably worse

Last edited:

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
21&

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I don't remember them ever describing her in detail in the book other than she had blonde hair. Are people going off of fantasy art alone?

There are a few people in this thread that apparently imagined something and then retconned it into the book in their minds. Cersei is described as beautiful and blonde, but that's about it. Nowhere does it say she looks like some kind of goddess.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
books:
bran chapters break my immersion. here i am in this gritty fantasy world, where people die, where there isn't magic all over the place, complex characters... and i get a mushroom trip.

[MAJOR SPOILER past first book!] more books:
though zombie cat is probably worse

ElFenix, even though it's a little ambiguous the way you wrote it, that second one should really have a major spoiler warning before it, and a note that it's from a later book.

Last edited:

jessieqwert

Jun 21, 2003
There are a few people in this thread that apparently imagined something and then retconned it into the book in their minds. Cersei is described as beautiful and blonde, but that's about it. Nowhere does it say she looks like some kind of goddess.

Agreed. And not only that but I think she looks pretty damn good.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
books:
I wish George kept magic/fantasy out of this series. It is so weirdly placed (others, Stannis, dragons, etc) that it really is not required. I feel the written series thus far works better as an alternate history than a fantastic tale.