• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
7,685
0
0
Having now seen the first 3 eps, I have to say I'm a little let down from eps 2/3. It's possible that having read the books there's no surprises, but I felt several of the scenes had the fantasy cheese thing happening, where the dialogue doesn't come across as believable and feels like bad Shakespeare imitation. None of these scenes involved Ned or Tyrion though.
how did you see eps 2 and 3?
 

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
13,926
18
81
but then you'd just have to wait until forever to see ep7. I couldn't in good conscience do that to you.
 

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
11,632
11
76
Your motivations perplex me.
I don't enjoy spending several days of my time reading something that isn't all that rewarding. There are plenty of great fantasy series out there which are deep, well-paced, vibrant, and actually enjoyable to read. And many of them, unlike Game of Therones, don't have sex scenes written in a manner that makes one think the author is a 16 year old hormone-crazed virgin. It's strange to write with a cold style 99% of the time and then turn into a porn writer for the remaining 1%.
 

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
18,441
5
76
I don't enjoy spending several days of my time reading something that isn't all that rewarding. There are plenty of great fantasy series out there which are deep, well-paced, vibrant, and actually enjoyable to read. And many of them, unlike Game of Therones, don't have sex scenes written in a manner that makes one think the author is a 16 year old hormone-crazed virgin. It's strange to write with a cold style 99% of the time and then turn into a porn writer for the remaining 1%.
Can you give examples? I'd like to read the books that you are describing.

I think the sex scenes are accurate enough with how people tend to treat sex and how it would happen between people on the opposite spectrum of power (a lord and say a whore)
 
Nov 7, 2000
16,410
3
81
I don't enjoy spending several days of my time reading something that isn't all that rewarding. There are plenty of great fantasy series out there which are deep, well-paced, vibrant, and actually enjoyable to read. And many of them, unlike Game of Therones, don't have sex scenes written in a manner that makes one think the author is a 16 year old hormone-crazed virgin. It's strange to write with a cold style 99% of the time and then turn into a porn writer for the remaining 1%.
haha PRUDE :p
 

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
5,190
0
0
I think the book's "sex scenes" were pretty tame. The show obviously tweaked it for the audience, like Tyrion getting it on with five whores @ Winterfell. That wasn't even in the book.
 

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
2,541
1
76
I don't enjoy spending several days of my time reading something that isn't all that rewarding. There are plenty of great fantasy series out there which are deep, well-paced, vibrant, and actually enjoyable to read. And many of them, unlike Game of Therones, don't have sex scenes written in a manner that makes one think the author is a 16 year old hormone-crazed virgin. It's strange to write with a cold style 99% of the time and then turn into a porn writer for the remaining 1%.
I get the sense you have not read the books at all, and are either trolling or basing your opinions on media coverage of the HBO series. The books rarely depict anything pornographic, as GRRM usually "pans out" when the actual erotica business begins. The closest thing to "porn" is the [something's] "kiss" mentioned in one chapter. Since I doubt you've read the novels, I won't cite where that happens here.
 

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
17,952
31
91
Ahhh this show is bringing out all the anger again that I built up against certain houses while reading the books.
 

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
2,567
0
76
Just watched today. Loved it, ordering the books soon. Can't wait for episode 2.
 

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
2,433
18
81
Ep 2 was just as good as the first, glad to see that they are following the books. I will have to go back and read through all of them again before the next book comes out in August
 

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
7,582
0
0
Has anyone mentioned how amazing the intro is yet? It's great seeing those dorky inner cover maps coming to life.
 
Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY