Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
season 2 not so much. i'm having a hard time w/theon's treachery.
the show just wasnt convincing in theons change of heart.

To be fair, the books were not all that convincing either. Theon has always been a very insecure person who bends any way the wind blows at the drop of a hat if he think it will help him get ahead. He's got no commitment to anything except trying to make himself look smart and capable.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
HBO GO is about getting HBO content you have paid for while on the 'GO'. They are not looking to give it away for free except to subscribers.

I was suggesting a reason why HBO doesn't let non cable subscribers pay ~$15 a month directly to HBO for HBO Go. I'm sure HBO would love to do that since they'd get %100 of that $15 instead of having to give a large chunk to the cable companies.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
season 2 not so much. i'm having a hard time w/theon's treachery.
the show just wasnt convincing in theons change of heart.
Being lord of his own kingdom one day and loyalty to his family vs. being a soldier for a childhood friend. I think most people would make the first choice with less hesitation than Theon.

You're calling it treachery because you like the Starks, but it could just as easily be called loyalty to his family. Family is first in their society. Catelyn's family motto is, Family, Duty, Honor. You heard Bran learning that. Theon's learned that to.

and i didnt think Daenerys had that many warriors left in her rag tag camp?
but there seemed to have been ALOT killed when they took her dragons.

She had 25-30 people outside of Qarth.

The dead soldeirs in the courtyard all belong to Xaro. The only dead Drothaki you see are two when she's climbing the step, and Irri in the room.

Xaro's guards are wearing brass breastplates with a pattern of holes in them, combined with baggy white cotton pants.

The Dothraki were wearing woven leather tops with heavy darker riding pants.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
well, I don't have tv at my house but I'd be happy to pay the $10-15 per month to get the HBO shows online, but they don't offer an option for that. I'm not about to pay $100 to get HBO on a TV(that was my satellite bill before I cancelled)

I know a couple of people besides myself who would do that. Luckily we all have a friend who has HBO and we gather at his place on sundays. We order the pizza and bring the booze as a "bribe" to let us watch GoT although after watching the 1st season he's getting into the show.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I wouldn't pay $10-15 for HBO GO. Have you used it? It's utter garbage. I've been trying to watch Game of Thrones on it (I have HBO, but I don't have a HD cable box), and it constantly freezes. This last time it froze, I paused it, but the audio started back up again. Then I unpaused it and ended up with two audio streams playing at the same time.

Not to mention the quality level was between YouTube's 320p and 480p.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
its always worked fine for me /shrug

It works if you're not trying to watch it when everyone else is. Even then, the quality is pretty crappy compared to just "acquiring" a 720p rip. It's not like there's a speed issue when it only takes 8 minutes for me to download a full scene rip of an hour show. :|

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
It's your connection then. I watch GoT when it airs and it's always solid HD, no buffering. I'd imagine that's peak view time.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's your connection then. I watch GoT when it airs and it's always solid HD, no buffering. I'd imagine that's peak view time.

I can download at a constant 3MB/s with no lag or stutter in my speeds. There's nothing wrong with my connection. As an example, Netflix works flawlessly.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
who were the two charred bodies that Theon was showing off? Are those the two Stark boys?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
GF and I are both thinking if Season 2 is going through a budget problem.

Did they blow all their $$$ in exciting season 1?

Season 2 has been nothing but dialogue, dialogue, and dialogue. And there's already 2 episodes left? wtf. What a total snoozefest vs season 1 that had you gripped to your seat every episode.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
who were the two charred bodies that Theon was showing off? Are those the two Stark boys?

In the books the two youngest Starks, Bran and Rickon, escape from Theon. He killed and flayed two peasant boys and passed them off as the Starks to cover up the fact that he couldn't find them. They likely changed flayed to burned for TV

urinesane

Jan 27, 2009
I watch the episodes on HBO GO using my 360. I've never had a problem with bad quality and I watched tonight's episode at 7pm pacific so I'm pretty sure that's considered high traffic time. Also Theon is a jerk.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I watch the episodes on HBO GO using my 360. I've never had a problem with bad quality and I watched tonight's episode at 7pm pacific so I'm pretty sure that's considered high traffic time. Also Theon is a jerk.

I was tempted to try it on my 360 instead of my PC. I don't really like using Flash as it tends to be a bit jittery and such if I leave Firefox open for extended periods.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
xyI6B.gif

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I can download at a constant 3MB/s with no lag or stutter in my speeds. There's nothing wrong with my connection. As an example, Netflix works flawlessly.

Idk what to tell you. I've streamed got twice. Both times it looked fine and functioned fine. Even when tethered to my phone (4g) or on the shitty hotel wireless

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It works if you're not trying to watch it when everyone else is. Even then, the quality is pretty crappy compared to just "acquiring" a 720p rip. It's not like there's a speed issue when it only takes 8 minutes for me to download a full scene rip of an hour show. :|

Dude, your shitty internet connection is no fault of HBO.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

Season 2 has been nothing but dialogue, dialogue, and dialogue. And there's already 2 episodes left? wtf. What a total snoozefest vs season 1 that had you gripped to your seat every episode.

Follows the book. However the book I think was more boring since there was a lot of Brienne/Catelyn. However, the last 2 episodes should be very good.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005

Not sure if serious, but I think Season 2 surpasses Season 1 so far, and that there is equally enough if not more action than last season. I mean the war didn't even begin until more than halfway through last year, and I hated the Dothraki stuff so I'm glad that side of things is pretty much over now.

Last edited:

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Nearly finished book 5 last night. Just the epilogue to go. ~5000 pages later what did I get out of it all? Not really sure :-/