Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
It is some unexplained shit.

Unexplained?? It's Magic FFS, you are watching a fantasy show, Stanis bones the red woman and she gives birth to his shadow so he can kill Renly. Not that difficult to figure out.

FM2n

Aug 10, 2005
Loved the first season, lots of story development with medium to highly violent scenes.

In season 2, seems like a lot of uncomfortable scenes that don't really add to the overall story and week after week they're trying to top themselves in how much gore they can get away with so the storyline pace is slowing quite a bit for my taste.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
It is a "high fantasy" based series, so ... :hmm:

I guess what I liked about Season 1 was the general lack of "high fantasy" elements.

I mean, by excusing the ghost's existence based on the fact that the series is "high fantasy" doesn't make it any less deus ex machina.

Unexplained?? It's Magic FFS, you are watching a fantasy show, Stanis bones the red woman and she gives birth to his shadow so he can kill Renly. Not that difficult to figure out.

Thanks genius. I'm really glad your're here to explain these things to me.

Last edited:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I guess what I liked about Season 1 was the general lack of "high fantasy" elements.

I mean, by excusing the ghost's existence based on the fact that the series is "high fantasy" doesn't make it any less deus ex machina.
Maybe the first time. There will be future instances of followers of the Red God doing supernatural stuff, so at least you won't complain about DEM anymore.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007

I don't know about that - the very first scene of the first episode had "high fantasy" elements - the white walker.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Direwolves, 3 eyed crows, dragons, etc. :hmm:

Well, arguably none of them were responsible for the death of any major character, or influenced much of anything. Direwolves might as well have been regular wolves. 3 eyed crows, I didn't even notice. Dragons got borned, and that's it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
What is this plot device where he gets murder by this random, unstoppable black ghost shit?

Fucking magic and the way it would more than likely go down in 'real life'.

Some unstoppable spirit materializes behind you, your falcon punch and stance of dominance ain't going to mean shit.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
The point was to show the power of the red woman.

:thumbsup:

I would have thought that after drinking the poison from the Maester earlier in the season would have driven home the point that the red women is not one to be fucked with. Also suggesting at the fact that there is something mysterious about her.

I don't remember the scene in the book being so overly dramatic and drawn out. I pictured it as it being really dark outside, the wind kicks up, something swoops in, kills Renly, then the shadow's gone. Not the whole Brienne standing there watching the whole going going NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Last edited:

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Complaining about the use of magic in a fantasy series - hilarious. I think I will start complaining about guns killing people in cop shows.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Complaining about the use of magic in a fantasy series - hilarious. I think I will start complaining about guns killing people in cop shows.

More like complaining that bullets only hit the bad guys in cop shows.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Magic in Game of Thrones is like say, technology in normal movies and shows -- it's in the background. For instance, you may have a cop show where a dude sends an email. The focus is not the computer, it's a show about cops. Magic is treated the same way on Game of Thrones. Someone may cast a spell but it's really not in the forefront.

I hope that all makes sense.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The show gives a much more sympathetic portrayal of Theon than the books do.

In book 1 Theon fights with Robb and Robb trusts him, but I don't remember any real indication that Theon has a man crush on Robb. Absolutely no getting down on his knees and swearing that they are like brothers. In book 2 while he did suggest that Robb send his father the offer it was really suggested out of personal greed (Theon wanting to be a king after his father dies). IIRC there was no hesitation in him turning on Robb (no writing a warning letter and then burning it). The idea to
attack and take Winterfell
is totally Theon's also.

In short, he's a douche. But,
he's totally going to get what's coming to him and much, much more. You just have to wait a few seasons. :)

yeah, the show is very unconvincing of why Theon
switched sides.
one moment he's there to convince his father to ally w/Robb Stark. the next he want to fight along Dad's side AGAINST Robb.
and is pissed he only gets 1 ship to attack the family that raised/trusted him for the past 9yrs.

and this was only days since he set foot in Dad's house.
WTFBBQ!?

The show did a horrible sell on this. :mad:

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
What is this plot device where he gets murder by this random, unstoppable black ghost shit?

ahh.. so spoilers are allowed in this thread?

Loved the first season, lots of story development with medium to highly violent scenes.

In season 2, seems like a lot of uncomfortable scenes that don't really add to the overall story and week after week they're trying to top themselves in how much gore they can get away with so the storyline pace is slowing quite a bit for my taste.

ala spartacus!
tho thats all not bad

also, what happened to that prostitute that was prominent in Season 1?
i havent seen her yet in Season 2? or was that the girl crying in the Whore house?

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

It's not unstoppable there's one way to protect yourself from it. I doubt that it will be in the series because they will be cutting parts from the books out...

If you're going to complain about magic and magical creatures (whose occurences will only increase) because the 1st season only featured on or two short scenes of magically related events then you're watching the wrong show.
:whiste:

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
yeah, the show is very unconvincing of why Theon
switched sides.
one moment he's there to convince his father to ally w/Robb Stark. the next he want to fight along Dad's side AGAINST Robb.
and is pissed he only gets 1 ship to attack the family that raised/trusted him for the past 9yrs.

and this was only days since he set foot in Dad's house.
WTFBBQ!?

The show did a horrible sell on this. :mad:

As mentioned earlier, it's even worse in the books. At least he prepared a warning letter in the series.