Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
lulz

"cut off his manhood and feed it to the goats"
"there are no goats, half-man!"
"well, make due!"

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I don't like how they made Balon Greyjoy want to claim the land north of the neck to keep instead of simply to pillage for goods.

That was one of the things that was different I thought was different between him and Theon as Theon wanted to keep the land while Balon always commented on they belong to the sea and causes issues later on between the two especially as what Theon is able to do.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
That's basically the way it was in the book. They were looking to conquer the North. The biggest difference was Victarion was there in the book.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
I really liked this show until all hell broke loose with the war starting (Stark's death), now things are falling off for me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was disappointed at the lack of an Arrow to the Knee meme for Spartacus with the Egyptian. Something like...

"I was about to kill Crixus, until I took an arrow to the knee." :p

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
All the changes from the book were fine with one quibble: They should have drowned Theon and then given him CPR.

Why? That never happened to Theon. Only the priests of the drowned god go through that ritual.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Why? That never happened to Theon. Only the priests of the drowned god go through that ritual.
Can we get confirmation?
I agree, it is not shown happening to Theon in the books, but I did get the impression it happened to everyone, not just the priests. Has anyone else read the books and can comment?

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Can we get confirmation?
I agree, it is not shown happening to Theon in the books, but I did get the impression it happened to everyone, not just the priests. Has anyone else read the books and can comment?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Drowned_God

The normal people just get seawater dumped on their heads. Only the priests aka "Drowned Men" go through the drowning/revival process (which is not guaranteed to work given the complete lack of technology).

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
GF and I agree first 2 episodes have been SUPER DULL. It pales in comparison to first episodes of S1 that hooked you right in. I hope some fun happens tonight.

I think Episode 4 will show something interesting and give some information as to why Melisandre has been getting jiggy with Stannis.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
brienneimpregnable.jpg

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
So many changes to the story. Some I like, others less so.

The pace may seem slow at times, but at times they are condensing so much material and leaving out entire characters and story arcs...

Compare/contrast that with Walking Dead Season 2. I feel like I have gone from one extreme to the other.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
GF and I didn't like the last part of giving birth to a shadow creature.

It felt too 'fantasy' for us. Do you know what I mean? I liked the series so far as a serious period piece with a splash of fantasy, not become a cartoon LOTR.

Anyone else agree? Or explain the ending?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

It felt too 'fantasy' for us. Do you know what I mean? I liked the series so far as a serious period piece with a splash of fantasy, not become a cartoon LOTR.

Magic was, and is, a strong force in the weave of this story's fabric. How do you feel about the Wall and the Others?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

there is going to be a lot more magic going forward.

The Shadows / Stannis' children are key elements in the books.

I would think once you knew Dragons existed you'd have just switched channels if fantasy was not acceptable to you and 'her'.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
there is going to be a lot more magic going forward.

The Shadows / Stannis' children are key elements in the books.

I would think once you knew Dragons existed you'd have just switched channels if fantasy was not acceptable to you and 'her'.

I'm pretty sure I remember someone here saying that Stannis never got with the fire chick in the book. So, how the hell did he end up fathering the Shadows?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure I remember someone here saying that Stannis never got with the fire chick in the book. So, how the hell did he end up fathering the Shadows?

I don't think it showed them going at it but it was implied in the books.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007

Gotcha. But I swear I read someone going on about how it ruined his character because he would never cheat on his wife in the book. I'd go through the thread looking for it but... nah.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007

Gotcha. But I swear I read someone going on about how it ruined his character because he would never cheat on his wife in the book. I'd go through the thread looking for it but... nah.

Sorry, double post.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
It was implied. Of course the same people who couldn't figure out Renly was gay, probably missed that Melisandre got impregnated by Stannis to produce a shadow baby.