Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Well...

Maybe the guy should read the BOOKS.

Oh, wow, they killed the most notable character! What WILL they do??!?!?!

Sheesh.

And gee, I don't know, but maybe they could lean on the guy who won the Emmy? Someone needs to send Neil Genzlinger to the Wall.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Anybody pick up the blu-ray yet of Season 1? I'm pondering the purchase.

Just got done watching it for a refresh (though Ive read the books too).

I can say that besides the material being great, the Blu ray experience is one of the best I have seen. Top notch PQ, menus, extras, everything about it. An absolute steal @ $35.

Some of the best features on the Blu Ray are:

1. The history, which covers more than just Westeros, and is narrated by some of the character actors from the series. Several periods have multiple viewpoints, e.g. Robert's rebellion - Robert's version and Viserys' take.

2. In the in movei guide - for fans who havent read the books and have a hard time keeping places and names straight - every scene will have places and characters labeled, and you can click on icons for more info on each.

I have really cut back on buying movies on BR/DVD because I rarely re-watch them enough times. Very few are worth it, especially in the extra features dept. This is probably the best purchase I have made, as good or better than the original LotR EE's.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Unless there's another source that I'm not checking, Game of Thrones (Blu-Ray) was only $35 for its introductory week. Amazon has it at $44 and Best Buy is at $60 (or $50 for one of the special cover versions).

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Ferocious? Last night, a Moon Brother stabbed a Storm Crow over a sausage. Three Storm Crows seized the Moon Brother and opened his throat. Bronn managed to keep Shagga from chopping off the dead man's cock, which was fortunate but even still, Olf is demanding blood money. Which Shagga and Gunther refuse to pay.

why bother stopping shagga from chopping off a dead man's cock?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
For all you cheap bastards out there with 10 hours to spare and Dish, there's an HBO free preview and today they're rerunning the whole first season starting at 9am.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Same here, I just love this series!

I'm almost at the point where I consider this to be better than The Lord of the Rings series.

hard to compare IMO, season 1 of GOT is longer then all 3 LOTR movies

imagine all the crap they could have included if fellowship was a 10 hour movie

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
hard to compare IMO, season 1 of GOT is longer then all 3 LOTR movies

imagine all the crap they could have included if fellowship was a 10 hour movie

not longer if we count the extended editions :p

and while being a TV series can have its advantages in story telling over being movie, it comes at the cost of special effects and large scale battle scenes.

The Mines of Moria and the encounter with the Balrog would be entirely different, as well as the fight that lead to Boromir's last stand

I just don't think LoTR has the story that can exist without the action and be as good as GoT.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Way to start it off. I think this one was better than any of last seasons episodes, but may be just the anticipation paying off.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
CG direwolf looked pretty good

lol anyone else thinking 'fat captain america' with the drunk knight/new fool?

edit: MOAR JOFFREY SLAPPING

Last edited:

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Nice season premiere, though I wonder if anyone who hasn't read the books could follow what the heck was going on with Stannis and Melisandre at Dragonstone.

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Book 2 was easily my favorite to date, but I am concerned how they're going to do it justice this season. So many storylines to keep track of, tough to give they all their due every week.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Nice season premiere, though I wonder if anyone who hasn't read the books could follow what the heck was going on with Stannis and Melisandre at Dragonstone.
Not really, I mean ok chick brings new religion with her and sees Stannis as their savior... I'm sure there's a lot more to it but that's par for the course with the series, they feed you little bits here and there. I'm fine with that as long as the story is continuous and doesn't have major plot holes.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
a1ZES.gif

a1ZES.gif

a1ZES.gif

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007

i watched season 1 without reading the books and was able to follow along. who needs to read the books?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I really love the CG dire wolves, one thing that bugged me about season 1 was how tiny the wolves were because they were actual animals, although for the first half of the season it was ok because they were supposed to still be pups.

But now they're really giving a good impression at just how huge they really are, and it was a nice touch to show just how intimidating they really are with how they added that scene with Jaime showing fear of Robb's wolf, Grey Wind.

They also did a good job alluding to Bran's "dream" as Summer, and of course the reflection of a huge dire wolf in the pond.

I thought they did a good job and that the book was more confusing. I think the reason you might think otherwise is that you've probably read so much more and have since retroactively pieced everything together as was intended, but for the TV show I think they did a good job, and that once the show moves forward that viewers will get a better understanding of what is going on.