Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 490 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I liked the whole Arya and Nymeria story this week. Oh, how they both have changed since they last saw each other.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
The reality is that the attacking fleet would have been spotted hours before contact, but that if they has set up a good ambush it would already be too late to stop them. What would have followed is a full day of maneuvering to only end up in a similar situation. Tall ship naval combat in reality would be really boring to watch as everything happens in slow motion over hours only to end suddenly. The battle is mostly won or lost already by the time the ships are close enough to board or ram each other.

Of course you're right. But this is movie land and you MUST put your brain in the "off" switch, otherwise you'll be miserable with everything on the tube.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Of course you're right. But this is movie land and you MUST put your brain in the "off" switch, otherwise you'll be miserable with everything on the tube.
You mean dragons, white walkers, fire queens bringing people back to life, worgs, and faceless men/women aren't real?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
The reality is that the attacking fleet would have been spotted hours before contact, but that if they has set up a good ambush it would already be too late to stop them. What would have followed is a full day of maneuvering to only end up in a similar situation. Tall ship naval combat in reality would be really boring to watch as everything happens in slow motion over hours only to end suddenly. The battle is mostly won or lost already by the time the ships are close enough to board or ram each other.

Yes real sail combat looks much more like that depicted in Master and Commander, boring for hours/days then a quick brutal ending. But I can accept what we saw because it was very cool to watch.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
You mean dragons, white walkers, fire queens bringing people back to life, worgs, and faceless men/women aren't real?

It's called suspension of disbelief. You buy into the premise of dragons, white walkers, resurrections, whatever and go with it. But the story has a duty to be true to itself and to whatever reality it doesn't overwrite. So while in this world dragons are real and people can change faces via magic the physics are essentially unchanged. The gravity doesn't get turned off when it suddenly become inconvenient and fire still burns things.

But the show has jumped the shark on it's own reality 100 different times in 100 different places. They set the rules of what is and is not possible in that world and then they simply ignore them whenever they paint themselves into a corner. That sea battle was ridiculous. None of it made the least bit of sense even in a world where dragons are real.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's called suspension of disbelief. You buy into the premise of dragons, white walkers, resurrections, whatever and go with it. But the story has a duty to be true to itself and to whatever reality it doesn't overwrite. So while in this world dragons are real and people can change faces via magic the physics are essentially unchanged. The gravity doesn't get turned off when it suddenly become inconvenient and fire still burns things.

But the show has jumped the shark on it's own reality 100 different times in 100 different places. They set the rules of what is and is not possible in that world and then they simply ignore them whenever they paint themselves into a corner. That sea battle was ridiculous. None of it made the least bit of sense even in a world where dragons are real.
Pretty much anything dealing with sea travel in this show has been fake as shit from the get go. They can build 100+ ship fleets in weeks. They can travel across however huge the world is by sea in what seems like days. Having a "fake" battle on the sea fits perfectly into the fake portrayal of sea stuff they've had since day one in this show.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I don't care, it was fun. And like I said last week it is a TV show they have exactly as many troops or ships or time as required by the script.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
The whole fleet battle thing didn't bother me at all. Euron was pretty badass, and seeing the two sand snakes die was worth it. I figure Euron used blood magic or something to mask his fleet. There was a full moon, and there was a lookout in the crow's nest, and yet they were still ambushed.

What bothers me way more is the conversation Dany had with Vary's. One of the most treacherous and infamous person in westeros, and yet you only decide to question his loyalty now?, after you've sailed 1/2 way around the world, and made him privy to your council plans?

I guess it was supposed to setup/reinforce that there is perhaps a spy in Dany's camp or something, how else would Euron know when to attack, but people with holding information, or having a conversation that would naturally have happened much earlier just to make a scene more interesting drives me nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: thejunglegod

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The whole fleet battle thing didn't bother me at all. Euron was pretty badass, and seeing the two sand snakes die was worth it. I figure Euron used blood magic or something to mask his fleet. There was a full moon, and there was a lookout in the crow's nest, and yet they were still ambushed.

What bothers me way more is the conversation Dany had with Vary's. One of the most treacherous and infamous person in westeros, and yet you only decide to question his loyalty now?, after you've sailed 1/2 way around the world, and made him privy to your council plans?

I guess it was supposed to setup/reinforce that there is perhaps a spy in Dany's camp or something, how else would Euron know when to attack, but people with holding information, or having a conversation that would naturally have happened much earlier just to make a scene more interesting drives me nuts.
Yeah that conversation seemed very random and like one that should have happened very long ago. It was kind of out of nowhere.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Some people here need to learn to think about things like the themes of the show, the meanings you can derive from other's actions for your own ways of thinking, and what might happen in the plot - and a lot less time thinking about pedantic crap like "oh, the fog wasn't heavy enough for me to believe that a tall ship running dark could ambush a rockus and well lit fleet that thinks they have no rival."

Check this establishing shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-QhWJzdsR4

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why'd you cancel?

didn't cancel. moved, got new service, no more TV, intentinonally.

BUT! I learned last week that I can get HBO GO (and AMC, Showtime, various cable channels etc etc streaming apps for free through my employer...wtf) anyhoo, I am now caught up.

So, hey...at least the sandsnakes bullshit is over and done with, right? right?

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the North remembers!

is this first episode to have a scene prior to title music rolling?

I think that was last season when Ian McShane showed up to herald the return of the Hound. (yes, I know this has probably already been answered by now, but I am so smart)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wrong. It made it's point extremely well. Sam is in his own version of hell now - a disgusting tedium.

I'm with you. I hate Sam the most out of all the characters, but I thought this was a brilliant montage, not because I hate him, but because his character is finally doing something.

anyhoo, the only issue I had was an army showing up across the sea to possibly the most fortified, impenetrable castle and stronghold in the history of both reality and what pure fantasy could possibly imagine...complete abandoned. I mean....WTF? How do you eradicate Stannis' army and not garrison that bitching fucking fort with the mountain gate, ocean wall, and 1 maile narrow stone walkway? what the holly fuck? Who the hell is responsible for not placing an army there?

Oh right..the fecking inbreeders.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not wrong at all. I'm not complaining about what the montage showed, I'm complaining that it was a stupid montage. It was completely out of style for the show. It had no place being presented in that manner.

you wanted more yakkity-sax during that scene, right?

me too.

Reactions: Homerboy

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is her first role too, she had NO experience. And the voice she's doing is a fake accent, not her normal speaking voice. VERY talented, the last actress I saw that impressed me so much at such a young age was Natalie Portman in Leon.

Oh yes, except for this girl in the Whale Rider. ....oh shit, I just learned she was in Star Wars pre-sequel something for some reason...oh fuck...anyway, her performance in her no-experience, breakout, academy-winning role is better than most anything I have ever seen, so she still wins. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They still seem to be dragging stuff out in this. That episode was an hour long and not a lot happened.
And the stuff that did happen, happened quickly so they could go back to having not a lot happening really slowly again.

Grumpy Mcburnhead was being grumpy and feeling guilty about being a dick the same as last series.
Deady Mcnolongerdead was being brooding and shouty in front of a hall full of people wearing black fur the same as last series.
Stabby Mcchangeface was great but the revenge bit was almost done as an aside and after that she was wandering around in the woods again.
Sulky Mcwooden was showing her terrible acting chops again unless she was aiming at sulking teenager.
Queeny Mcscantillycladdragonridingpostergirl was walking up extremely long stairs. Again.

It just seems like half the scenes were recycled from earlier episodes.

There's a huge fucking zombie army coming to kill you all! Fucking do something!

:D

:beer:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
When Stannis left who was in position to take it and garrison it? All the people that were loyal to the crown were otherwise occupied. And it's a freaking island, so for someone to set up shop there they're need both an army and a fleet of ships. The people that had ships didn't want it and the people that had an army couldn't use it.

no one needed anything to get there and open there, walk up the walk way. no one was there. dudes sailed their boats there, but that's just how they got there....and just opened the doors.

nope, doesn't compute. garrison like 100 folks there and that fortress is pretty damn well defendable (not from dragons, but you know, that was still myth to everyone over there in that part of the world). no excuse for leaving those bitching digs open like that. none.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Keep in mind all the time in GoT is never really accounted for properly. Things happen way too fast (or sometimes) too slow.

It's like Jack Baur is flying across all of Westeros in his helicopter 8 times per "day," but it really only ever takes 4 minutes total for all those trips.

Nerds need to get over their "perfect world" and perfect timing with this GoT bullshit and realize that the plot has issues.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've never read the books or watched an episode of the show, but heard about the nude scenes/naked women. Is it worth watching/spending my precious time to do so? ;)
Would the book/show be popular without nudity/violence? The local library has seasons 1-6 available in Blu-ray.

yes. just watch it. ignore the books. the books are for nerds that hate to read real literature. :cool:

the show is fucking entertaining otherwise.