Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 463 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Letting Cersei go back made for the good tv of the march, but made no sense. He had to know he signed his death warrant for no reason.

The episode's title was "Mother's Mercy", named for the release of Cersei apparently, implying it was the most significant thing in the episode.

I suspect because that act might be pivotal to the next season as she plays an important rule and takes revenge.

On another note, Jamie should have sailed back and had the king execute his sister in law for her treason. His son would certainly support the revenge and it'd help prevent a pointless war she wanted.

That makes more sense that taking him hostage or killing him and going to war and giving her what she wanted.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Letting Cersei go back made for the good tv of the march, but made no sense. He had to know he signed his death warrant for no reason.

The episode's title was "Mother's Mercy". I suspect because that act might be pivotal to the next season as she plays an important rule and takes revenge.

Yeah i'm wondering why the king just doesn't kill all the sparrows

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
You think so Craig? Tommen has shown he's a weak leader, but his army is played out too. He is relying on money and troops from Highgarden. They may be motivated to help because of Margaery and Loras, but they already had that chance and chose to negotiate.

Besides, its obvious that the shit is gonna hit the fan when Jaime gets back and Cersei finds out Myrcella is dead. War with Dorne? The Tyrells hate the Martells anyway, so they won't be hard to incite to that cause either.

Actually, I just made a pretty good case for the Lannisters and Highgarden to become besties.we'll see if it happens.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I'm trying to figure out if this can be discussed openly in this thread or not.

This show has dropped enough hints that it could be pieced together, but it would be an astonishing deduction by a show-only viewer. I wouldn't discuss that theory.

Seems like we need a 3rd thread for people who have both read and watched and just don't care about the blurred lines anymore.

The book thread already is that thread. Everyone has resigned themselves to having book events spoiled by the show. Anyone else trying to avoid spoilers is avoiding both threads...and probably the internet entirely.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

It doesn't really make sense for him to let her back into the Red Keep, which is heavily guarded. Maybe they need to introduce the concept of bail into Westeros. :p

I also wonder if Jaime is just going to turn his ship around as the last we saw the ship, it was pretty much right off the port. Bronn lasted for a while after being afflicted with that poison, but I don't know if there's a difference between where it's introduced into the system. I wonder what the sand lady is going to do now though. It's pretty obvious that she's responsible, and she knows that the king will not show her leniency.

EDIT:

Yeah i'm wondering why the king just doesn't kill all the sparrows

Because he has Margery and her brother held captive. The Faith Militant would kill them if they tried anything.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
It's Drogo's ring. They would probably enslave or kill her if they found her with it. (This was also verified by Benioff/Wiess in the after show bit about that scene)

The Dothraki are basically one large hoard, right? So that should be the riders that abandoned Drogo's corpse and Daeanaazrys way back in season 1?

I guess that dragon took her for bit of a ride, as I recall the Dothraki abandoned the plan to take ships across the sea when Drogo died; so no reason they should be on the same continent as Mereen.

There are other Khals, I presume of smaller roving bands since Drogo's seemed to be the largest. Ser friendzone mentioned them when Drogo died, how they would kill her not treat her as a queen as they would in Westeros.

Mereen is in Essos, the eastern continent with the other Dothraki, it's huge.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It just occurred to me as I flipped over to HBO just a minute ago and it was on the scene where Sam's about to get some...

Remember when Shae commented on Tyrion's story of marriage "a girl who was almost raped doesn't invite another man into her bed two hours later"?

Apparently some do.

but Gilly is used to being raped.

different mindset?

Sephire

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2011
:'( :| :'(

tumblr_npzxqnQ45D1uyxr12o1_1280.jpg

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
What was that item Daenerys dropped when the dothraki were coming?

Was that a ring her dothraki husband gave her or something?

I predict that somehow sir friendzone and the merc will find that ring and track her down.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I found it odd that Tommen wasn't there to receive his mom. Guess that's a scene for next season.

You found it odd that a young son wasn't there to receive his naked, shit-covered mother? I don't think either party would want that...

So her whole Stannis thing is that the Lord of Light favors king's blood, right?

Here's my theory:

The kings of Westeros have always been Targaryen, despite the latest Targaryen (the Mad King) being crazy and getting overthrown by Robert Baratheon.

King's blood is thus most likely Targaryen blood, not Baratheon.

The Targaryens are also the keepers of the dragons that breathe fire. It's only logical that the Lord of Light and the dragons are aligned.

Since the removal of the Targaryens and the coming of the White Walkers (the latter probably mobilizing massively after centuries of hiding because they now sense that the throne of Fire/Light/Targaryens is weak), the Lord of Light (LoL) probably wants to bring the Targaryens back into power.

But first the Baratheons need to be removed since they feel they have the true claim to the throne. So the LoL uses Stannis as a pawn to get the Baratheons to die out in a dose of epic irony.

- Robert Baratheon dies.

- Stannis Baratheon kills his own brother, Renly Baratheon, at the urging of Melissandra.

- Stannis Baratheon kills his own daughter, at the urging of Melissandra.

- Stannis Baratheon "kills himself" by sending his woefully-outnumbered and unprepared army into a suicide mission. Stannis is a very experienced war commander but the fact that he still sent his men into such an obviously-hopeless situation shows just how badly he got played by the LoL - either in belief of the "prophecy" (which was fabricated by the LoL) or inflation of his own ego. The most delicious irony is that he doesn't die by the hand of a Bolton (even though two tried and failed), but by that of Brienne, who kills him to avenge the death of... drumroll... Renly, his own brother which he had killed.

- Melissandra senses king's blood in John Snow, but he dies and all his blood is spilled, so he might have been a Baratheon, possibly one of Robert Baratheon's bastard sons who he entrusted to Eddard Stark's care.

- Gendry is the only other known person with Baratheon blood still left alive at this point, and he has joined the Brotherhood without Banners that worship the LoL.

So now that Baratheon blood - and more importantly - Baratheon forces, are all wiped out, there is a clearing for a Targaryen with fire-breathing dragons to come back in and reclaim the throne. The LoL played Stannis and used the zealot Melissandra to do so.

Gendry is still out there but he's a bastard, has no forces under him, and has a tenuous claim to the throne. Despite this, the LoL still keeps him close since he's now joined with a group that worships the LoL ("keep your enemies closer...")

And the Lord of Light just happens to be "LoL".

fun theory, but Baratheons should fit the bill for kings blood

the founder of House Baratheon, Orys Baratheon, was a bastard half-brother of Aegon the Conqueror. Orys then married the daughter of the last Storm King, Argilac the Arrogant, so whether its from Taragyans or from the kings of the original 7 kingdoms (much like how Stark blood could possibly be king's blood), Baratheon should fit the bill.

Then there's Rhaelle Targaryan (paternal grandmother to Robert, Stannis, and Renly), the daughter of Aegon V, married into House Baratheon and so there's a very recent Targaryan connection

I think its more likely that she simply realized that she misinterpreted the flames all this time

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So her whole Stannis thing is that the Lord of Light favors king's blood, right?

Here's my theory:

The kings of Westeros have always been Targaryen, despite the latest Targaryen (the Mad King) being crazy and getting overthrown by Robert Baratheon.

King's blood is thus most likely Targaryen blood, not Baratheon.

The Targaryens are also the keepers of the dragons that breathe fire. It's only logical that the Lord of Light and the dragons are aligned.

Since the removal of the Targaryens and the coming of the White Walkers (the latter probably mobilizing massively after centuries of hiding because they now sense that the throne of Fire/Light/Targaryens is weak), the Lord of Light (LoL) probably wants to bring the Targaryens back into power.

But first the Baratheons need to be removed since they feel they have the true claim to the throne. So the LoL uses Stannis as a pawn to get the Baratheons to die out in a dose of epic irony.

- Robert Baratheon dies.

- Stannis Baratheon kills his own brother, Renly Baratheon, at the urging of Melissandra.

- Stannis Baratheon kills his own daughter, at the urging of Melissandra.

- Stannis Baratheon "kills himself" by sending his woefully-outnumbered and unprepared army into a suicide mission. Stannis is a very experienced war commander but the fact that he still sent his men into such an obviously-hopeless situation shows just how badly he got played by the LoL - either in belief of the "prophecy" (which was fabricated by the LoL) or inflation of his own ego. The most delicious irony is that he doesn't die by the hand of a Bolton (even though two tried and failed), but by that of Brienne, who kills him to avenge the death of... drumroll... Renly, his own brother which he had killed.

- Melissandra senses king's blood in John Snow, but he dies and all his blood is spilled, so he might have been a Baratheon, possibly one of Robert Baratheon's bastard sons who he entrusted to Eddard Stark's care.

- Gendry is the only other known person with Baratheon blood still left alive at this point, and he has joined the Brotherhood without Banners that worship the LoL.

So now that Baratheon blood - and more importantly - Baratheon forces, are all wiped out, there is a clearing for a Targaryen with fire-breathing dragons to come back in and reclaim the throne. The LoL played Stannis and used the zealot Melissandra to do so.

Gendry is still out there but he's a bastard, has no forces under him, and has a tenuous claim to the throne. Despite this, the LoL still keeps him close since he's now joined with a group that worships the LoL ("keep your enemies closer...")

And the Lord of Light just happens to be "LoL".

yup, that's what I said in one of my posts weeks ago, as well.

it seems like the Lord of Light wants the Brathenon blood line dead.
Why, I don't know.

maybe the LoL is an magical entity that's the opposite of the White Walkers?
he's trying to save the world form the White Walkers in his own way? and eliminating the Brathelon blood line was necessary for his plans?

as I said it b4 many times.. whats so special about King's blood?
just because you sit on the throne doesn't make your blood special. What if it was Ned Stark who became king instead of Roberts after the death of the Mad king?

Elimination of the Baratheon blood line makes more sense instead of 'kings blood' being special.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I kind of lost the point of this show. Does anyone know anymore?

Is it the winter and keeping the undead from reclaiming everything? Is it good vs bad? Is it slavery vs freedom? Is it who religion is true and more righteous?

I am at a serious loss here, cause all I've seen so far was atrocity after atrocity.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012

It's possible that the High Sparrow is deliberately instigating a revolution. He's hinted at wanting this. Tommen and especially Cersei have low popular support right now, and also don't have a lot of support from the heads of the other houses, nor a lot of resources. There's a huge crowd of people who won't stand for her killing the Faith Militant to get out of her trial.

On another note, Jamie should have sailed back and had the king execute his sister in law for her treason. His son would certainly support the revenge and it'd help prevent a pointless war she wanted.

That makes more sense that taking him hostage or killing him and going to war and giving her what she wanted.

Jaime hasn't seen Doran like we have so he's not going to trust him as much. There's a risk that he's complicit in Myrcella's assassination in some way and going back would be very dangerous if this were true. Even if he isn't there's a risk of the Sand Snakes watching them and waiting for their return.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
That episode just had too many things to tell and wrap-up (or intentionally left as cliffhangers) for one hour, which is why everything seems extremely rushed and fast paced. Except maybe for Cersei's walk of shame, which is about 3 minutes too long, give or take. I understand that they wanted to emphasize the magnitude of this humiliation for Cersei, but we all knew that even after the first 20 seconds of her being paraded around naked with spit and crap being thrown her way, that as soon as she gets back she'll make every single one of them pay for this. She's going to go berserk. It's not going to be pretty.
im surprised the high sparrow let her out.

he has to expect revenge from her.
I wonder what his counter plan is?

cant be as stupid as die a martyr?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
as he pointed out in his conversation with Oleana, though, the High Sparrow has the people on his side.

if they go to war with the church, they'll be going to war with all of King's Landing.

much like Danaerys found out, it's one thing to have an army that's unbeatable in the field but quite another when that same army isn't even safe walking down the street in their hometown.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
im surprised the high sparrow let her out.

he has to expect revenge from her.
I wonder what his counter plan is?

cant be as stupid as die a martyr?

It has been pointed out that he is a True Believer. It is possible that he expects that the Gods will protect him.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Jaime hasn't seen Doran like we have so he's not going to trust him as much. There's a risk that he's complicit in Myrcella's assassination in some way and going back would be very dangerous if this were true. Even if he isn't there's a risk of the Sand Snakes watching them and waiting for their return.

Jaime has Doran's son on board. Why would Doran be complicit in an assassination plot when Jaime holds all the cards?

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Seems to me the high sparrow was proving a point and humiliating the throne at the same time. He seemed to be showing that even the rulers of the land bow to the church. Humiliating Cersei was a huge fuck you at the throne and them not doing anything (not sure what they can do that won't make matters even worse) shows that he has higher power than them. It'll only add to his following.

I've no doubt it'll end really badly for him and the members of his following, but there is a point he made. How else could he show how strong he is?

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
It has been pointed out that he is a True Believer. It is possible that he expects that the Gods will protect him.

I think he banks more on the commoners protecting him. He really does believe that he wields more power than the high lords as he showed in his talks with whatshername..