Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Drogo's death meant her death. There is absolutely NO indication that ANYWHERE in the book that she meant to kill Drogo. It is clear that she tried to save him. If you can't see that, then you're just bad at reading.

Except the whole dialog about her already being raped, her family and friends slaughtered, village plundered and her saving other villages from the same fate. I guess she didn't mind if it was only the local villages that Drogo was going to personally destroy but once some old crones declares an unborn baby to be the stallion that mounts the world, that is where she draws the line. But maybe there was a chapter with her as POV and explained everything that I missed?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Except the whole dialog about her already being raped, her family and friends slaughtered, village plundered and her saving other villages from the same fate. But, I guess she didn't mind if it was only the local villages that Drogo was going to personally destroy but once some old crones declares an unborn baby to be the stallion that mounts the world, that is where she draws the line. But maybe there was a chapter with her as POV and explained everything that I missed?

Why would Martin put in the whole part of drogo not following directions? Sorry, but you' suck at reading.

Nov 7, 2000
I'm with Kelvrick. She was still uber-pissed about the rape and pillage, so she intentionally mistreated Drogo, even knowing it would mean her death. Its possible she even planned to make him sick enough to have Dany offer the son for the black magic. She was a nasty evil lady and Dany was a fool to have trusted her.

Nov 7, 2000
Why would Martin put in the whole part of drogo not following directions? Sorry, but you' suck at reading.
Drogo figured out the gypsy was up to no good, and realized his mistake of trusting her and Dany instead of the traditional Dothraki way. Unfortunately... too late for him.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I'm with Kelvrick. She was still uber-pissed about the rape and pillage, so she intentionally mistreated Drogo, even knowing it would mean her death. Its possible she even planned to make him sick enough to have Dany offer the son for the black magic. She was a nasty evil lady and Dany was a fool to have trusted her.

I know it's fun to make shit up, but that wasn't in the book. Sorry.

Drogo figured out the gypsy was up to no good, and realized his mistake of trusting her and Dany instead of the traditional Dothraki way. Unfortunately... too late for him.

Traditional Dothraki way? What the fuck are you talking about?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
game%2Bof%2Bthrones.jpg
Who is "me"?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

You haven't read the book have you?

His wound was much worse in the book. Dany and others watched her treat Drogo's wound. Stinging nettles were used on the wound, which according to Wikipedia is a folk remedy for treating bleeding. He was also told not to drink poppy wine. He took the poultice off because it itched and replaced it with mud; he also drank lots of poppy wine.

They were surrounded by horses, goats, and sheep, so mud is probably not the most hygienic thing to be putting on an open wound. Drogo was so drunk and high on opiates, that he didn't even notice it getting infected.

She told Dany that death was cleaner than her spell. She also told Dany it was a life for a life. So right up until then, she had been completely honest. Far too honest if she had been planning it all along. When she tells Dany to get a horse, that's when she had decided to trick Dany into thinking it was the horse's life that was required.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Dude...the witch TELLS Danny that she did what she did because of how they raped her and her people and burned her village. You think she tried to help Drogo only to turn around and hurt him once the wound had festered? C'mon, really? Seems obvious the first priority was to kill Drogo and the second was to kill her baby.

WRONG. The TV series highlights that part. The book highlights Mirri trying to help Drogo and then turning on Daenerys at the end. Just read the freaking book, it's all there in black and white.

Nov 7, 2000

His wound was much worse in the book. Dany and others watched her treat Drogo's wound. Stinging nettles were used on the wound, which according to Wikipedia is a folk remedy for treating bleeding. He was also told not to drink poppy wine. He took the poultice off because it itched and replaced it with mud; he also drank lots of poppy wine.

They were surrounded by horses, goats, and sheep, so mud is probably not the most hygienic thing to be putting on an open wound. Drogo was so drunk and high on opiates, that he didn't even notice it getting infected.

She told Dany that death was cleaner than her spell. She also told Dany it was a life for a life. So right up until then, she had been completely honest. Far too honest if she had been planning it all along. When she tells Dany to get a horse, that's when she had decided to trick Dany into thinking it was the horse's life that was required.
Ill find the passages when I get home. Drogo was not even concerned about his wound, how is that 'worse'? Only by Dany's pleading did he even treat it at all.

Mirri Maz Duur was 'saved' by Dany mid-rape, and she never forgave for that. Her actions were vengeful. Ill pull some quotes once I get the book in front of me.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
WRONG. The TV series highlights that part. The book highlights Mirri trying to help Drogo and then turning on Daenerys at the end. Just read the freaking book, it's all there in black and white.
But there is no real indication if she was trying to help or hurt.

Remember that Martin's book is full of people saying one thing and doing another. If there is a theme to the books it is 'trust no one'

Another theme is that there is no reward for good behavior.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
Ill find the passages when I get home. Drogo was not even concerned about his wound, how is that 'worse'? Only by Dany's pleading did he even treat it at all.

Mirri Maz Duur was 'saved' by Dany mid-rape, and she never forgave for that. Her actions were vengeful. Ill pull some quotes once I get the book in front of me.

IIRC in the book it was much worse, Drogo was the kind of guy to downplay everything. Also I read it as Drogo kinda killed himself not following instructions. I also recall him taking off what Mirri gave him because it itched.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

This is the best explanation of the witch's actions so far. If you think that witch didn't try to heal him you can't fucking read. She would have known that killing Drogo would have meant certain death for her. Drogo TOOK OFF her poultice. To blame the poultice for his death is idiocy.

lol, you're illiterate.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Just finished the first season (amazing). I have not read through all of the thread; are you guys spoiling from the books and/or season 2 news? I've rather not get spoiled, so if you are discussing that stuff I will just stay away. :)

KT

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Just finished the first season (amazing). I have not read through all of the thread; are you guys spoiling from the books and/or season 2 news? I've rather not get spoiled, so if you are discussing that stuff I will just stay away. :)

KT
I "think" that all the book spoilers are marked as such.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

KT
Nothing really about book two in here.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
This is the best explanation of the witch's actions so far. If you think that witch didn't try to heal him you can't fucking read. She would have known that killing Drogo would have meant certain death for her. Drogo TOOK OFF her poultice. To blame the poultice for his death is idiocy.
You assume to much.

Why would she try to help him then try to kill him?

And why does Drogo's death mean her death? She wasn't order to die until her treachery became known.

It is never made clear if she wanted to help or hurt Drogo and based on Martin's writings we would be foolish to think that she had completely noble intent. There are too many other places where we see noble intent at first only to see it turned around at the last second.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
You assume to much.

Why would she try to help him then try to kill him?

And why does Drogo's death mean her death? She wasn't order to die until her treachery became known.

It is never made clear if she wanted to help or hurt Drogo and based on Martin's writings we would be foolish to think that she had completely noble intent. There are too many other places where we see noble intent at first only to see it turned around at the last second.

No, I just know how to read. If she had healed him then it would have meant further survival and probably a place in the khalasar as a healer/wise woman. All those other place EXPLICITLY show the noble intent turned around. In this case THERE IS NOTHING to back up the contention that she poisoned him. Srsly, you people are making bullshit up.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

Drogo had an arrow through his upper arm and a wide shallow cut on his chest that took off his nipple and left a flap of skin hanging.

The village was already being attacked by two other Khals when Drogo got there. He killed the two other Khals, drove off their men, and took the spoils.

So while Mirri might not like Drogo, he was just another Khal who attacked them. One of many. His child however would have been a far greater conqueror.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
No, I just know how to read. If she had healed him then it would have meant further survival and probably a place in the khalasar as a healer/wise woman. All those other place EXPLICITLY show the noble intent turned around. In this case THERE IS NOTHING to back up the contention that she poisoned him. Srsly, you people are making bullshit up.
She killed the unborn baby as revenge for the attack on her village. If she is willing to kill an unborn baby then why wouldn't she be willing to kill Drogo?

All of us have read the book too and just because you think one thing doesn't mean that you are correct, nor does it mean we are correct either. But there is enough evidence to suggest that either may be true.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Here are a few lines from the book I found on a site that calls Mirri a hero for killing Drogo and the baby because it saved the lives of thousands of innocent people that would have suffered their wrath and destruction.
"You knew," Dany said when [Jorah and the others] were gone. She ached, inside and out, but her fury gave her strength. "You knew what I was buying, and you knew the price, and yet you let me pay it."

"It was wrong of them to burn my temple," the heavy, flat-nosed woman said placidly. "That angered the Great Shepherd."

"This was no god's work," Dany said coldly. If I look back I am lost. "You cheated me. You murdered my child within me."

"The stallion who mounts the world will burn no cities now. His khalasar shall trample no nations into dust."

"I spoke for you," she said, anguished. "I saved you."

"Saved me?" The Lhazareen woman spat. "Three riders had taken me, not as a man takes a woman but from behind, as a dog takes a bitch. The fourth was in me when you rode past. How then did you save me? I saw my god's house burn, where I had healed good men beyond counting. My home they burned as well, and in the street I saw piles of heads. I saw the head of a baker who made my bread. I saw the head of a boy I had saved from deadeye fever, only three moons past. I heard children crying as the riders drove them off with their whips. Tell me again what you saved."

"Your life."

Mirri Maz Duur laughed cruelly. "Look to your khal and see what life is worth, when all the rest is gone."
The bolded part is key.