Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 379 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
I just started watching a couple of weeks ago. I'm on like episode 2 of season 3. Pretty cool. By the time I finish, the new season will be on. Lucky me

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Enjoy the high of binging through the seasons already aired. Pace yourself though, to keep a grip on everything that's happening. Avoid reading/watching online anything GOT related at all cost until you finish the aired seasons and get caught up. Delay the inevitable (getting all caught up and then being reduced to a junkie needed his weekly season 5 fix) for as long as possible. Ideally, slow pace should allow you to have more than a couple of season 5 episodes air before you finish season 4.

I got totally consumed with the show, to the point of annoying my friends with adding GOT quotes to our conversations. As much as I love the show, I wish I hadn't gotten into it until it was done filming.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
Ideally, slow pace should allow you to have more than a couple of season 5 episodes air before you finish season 4.

i watched seasons 1 and 2 on the saturday before the season 3 premier. come 9pm i had never been more ready to watch a show! i had the theme song playing in my head continuously for days.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
this is an excellent show for binge watching!
Yes it is!! I burned through all 4 Seasons of GoT in less than a month last year. So Good!! I also have burned through other shows like LOST, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead. Feels so good not having to wait one week for each episode.
i watched seasons 1 and 2 on the saturday before the season 3 premier. come 9pm i had never been more ready to watch a show! i had the theme song playing in my head continuously for days.
Yup that theme song just won't leave my head.Along with Bray Wyatt's theme song.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I actually feel like binge watching this show is too fast, you need to let some stuff sink in.

My wife blew threw the whole series in like a week a few months ago. She watched the red wedding and the death of Joffrey in the same day... I was like bish, you don't know the struggle.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So, it says in the title no book spoilers. What if I was at a filming location and saw what would be show spoilers? Can I post those?

Mar 10, 2005
So, it says in the title no book spoilers. What if I was at a filming location and saw what would be show spoilers? Can I post those?

zxl58Pv.jpg

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
With spoiler tags and appropriate disclaimers.

I dunno how that would fly, people have gotten in trouble in this thread even with spoiler tags, even when strictly posting information about how the book is different as an illustration as to how the show is likely to venture out on its own path and thus even book readers might not know what is going to happen.

So if its information that would definitely spoil something on the show it would (or at least should) be an even bigger no-no.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I dunno how that would fly, people have gotten in trouble in this thread even with spoiler tags, even when strictly posting information about how the book is different as an illustration as to how the show is likely to venture out on its own path and thus even book readers might not know what is going to happen.

So if its information that would definitely spoil something on the show it would (or at least should) be an even bigger no-no.
Just like the movie and TV show threads...
...before it airs: spoiler tags.
...once it airs: no spoiler tags.

The problem in this thread comes particularly from people who have read the books and don't even realize how they are spoiling things which isn't relevant to this particular scenario.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Just like the movie and TV show threads...
...before it airs: spoiler tags.
...once it airs: no spoiler tags.

The problem in this thread comes particularly from people who have read the books and don't even realize how they are spoiling things which isn't relevant to this particular scenario.

IIRC spoiler tags don't work on (some?) mobile devices, but that's never affected me. It's really best to keep it out of the thread, imo.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
How about the TV show spoiling the books? :cool:

Book purists beware!

Since the show has put pressure on GRRM to write faster, I have a feeling that once the show is done, he will write a much more extensive version for the books, and will likely even change a lot of what happened in the show.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Since the show has put pressure on GRRM to write faster, I have a feeling that once the show is done, he will write a much more extensive version for the books, and will likely even change a lot of what happened in the show.

I doubt it there will be significant changes, I wouldn't even be surprised if it's mentioned in the contractual language. Basically HBO is buying the end of the story before it's written. If he changes it after the fact, he didn't deliver the end of the story to HBO, he'd have provided a different ending.

Even if it's not in the contract, it'd be an incredibly douchy move.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I doubt it there will be significant changes, I wouldn't even be surprised if it's mentioned in the contractual language. Basically HBO is buying the end of the story before it's written. If he changes it after the fact, he didn't deliver the end of the story to HBO, he'd have provided a different ending.

How so? From what I understand the show covers less than half of what is in the books, and they've already deviated from major events anyways.

Once HBO is done making bank off the show... I'm sure they could give two shits about what happens in the books after the fact.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
How so? From what I understand the show covers less than half of what is in the books, and they've already deviated from major events anyways.

Once HBO is done making bank off the show... I'm sure they could give two shits about what happens in the books after the fact.

Events are changed due to character omissions, not because they wanted to write a new story. The story is mostly unchanged. If GRRM provided one ending to HBO (Danny saves the day, kills the zombies with dragons and take the crown), with the intent on writing a vastly different for the books (everyone dies) it'd be dishonest, imo.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
it'd be dishonest, imo.

That's quite a step down from contractually obligated.

It even makes sense, from a marketing standpoint, to allow a different story to unfold using his preferred writing style/pace.

It wouldn't be dishonest, it would just come to a different ending.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
That's quite a step down from contractually obligated.

It even makes sense, from a marketing standpoint, to allow a different story to unfold using his preferred writing style/pace.

It wouldn't be dishonest, it would just come to a different ending.

Which is why I said:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What I recall, is that the fat man and HBO producer dudes all know the actual ending, and it has been known from ~season 2, I believe.

Both series have been progressing towards that identical outcome. How each type of content gets to that point, well, there's an ample amount of potential variation between the two.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
What I recall, is that the fat man and HBO producer dudes all know the actual ending, and it has been known from ~season 2, I believe.

Both series have been progressing towards that identical outcome. How each type of content gets to that point, well, there's an ample amount of potential variation between the two.

Exactly, which is why I think it'd be douchy if he wrote a new ending, just for the book, after the fact. It's also why I think there's some contractual language in there.