Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 299 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
that's my entire theory about Syrio being alive, as well. He would have to be one of the faceless for it to be true. Either he sneaked away never to be seen until whenever, is actually the Jaqun Huguerre dude, or--this is nuts--actually killed Meryn Trent and just decided to walk in his shoes this whole time.

I don't give a dick about Syrio, honestly. His character was nothing special to me and I'd be fine if he were dead. I just happen to think that he could very well be alive.
Damn, you just gave me a whole new branch to that theory. :awe:

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
that's my entire theory about Syrio being alive, as well. He would have to be one of the faceless for it to be true. Either he sneaked away never to be seen until whenever, is actually the Jaqun Huguerre dude, or--this is nuts--actually killed Meryn Trent and just decided to walk in his shoes this whole time.

I don't give a dick about Syrio, honestly. His character was nothing special to me and I'd be fine if he were dead. I just happen to think that he could very well be alive.

Hey, I was right about the Lannisters actually being in debt--based soley on my hunch that most of the wealthiest people are actually either in debt, or flat out bankrupt; and that would actually be a real reason to ally with the Tyrells. People chided me for suggesting that because "the show has spent innumerable amounts of time telling us that the Lannisters are the wealthiest in all of Westeros!" So, it takes a 1 minute scene from Tywin to inform us all of that, and suddenly all of the rest of you are like "Of course!"

I bite my thumb at these people! :colbert:

The Lannisters aren't in debt, the crown is. Tywin was just sharing why he couldn't just bail out the crown.

Mar 10, 2005
I liked Robb, but in this story, he is pretty boring when compared to other characters. Like Ned, he was the "always just and noble" beloved by all protagonist. Still, I was pulling for his march towards justice.

hey, look, both of those character types were unjustly murdered!

:hmm:

in game of thrones, stupid = dead, except theon and sansa who are kept around to be constantly tortured. edmure tully, too.

in fact, since the 1st episode barely any smart people have died.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Lannisters aren't in debt, the crown is. Tywin was just sharing why he couldn't just bail out the crown.

well, I said they are either in dept or bankrupt--meaning, empty gold mines.

Tywin said that their gold mines have been empty for 3 years. Not sure what I was wrong about, there. I think I directly stated a few weeks ago that those gold mines are probably dry and we just don't know about it yet.

He would have to be in debt to someone--and I think it's pretty clear that he is now in debt to the Tyrells, even if they don't know it yet.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
well, I said they are either in dept or bankrupt--meaning, empty gold mines.

Tywin said that their gold mines have been empty for 3 years. Not sure what I was wrong about, there. I think I directly stated a few weeks ago that those gold mines are probably dry and we just don't know about it yet.

He would have to be in debt to someone--and I think it's pretty clear that he is now in debt to the Tyrells, even if they don't know it yet.
Dry mines means no income. It doesn't necessarily mean your in debt, but I expect that was the intended meaning. Both the crown and Lannisers are broke. In the scene where he's talking about how the mines are dry he immediately transitions to the crown has massive debts. He didn't separate the two.

Last season when Tyrion was looking at the book he noted the crown owed two factions lots of money, the bank and the Lannisters.

It's a bit confusing.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The Throne borrowed money from the Lannisters and the Iron bank under King Robert. I would imagine at some point, Tywin cut them off and they started borrowing everything from the Iron Bank.

The Lannisters might have it's mines dried up, but that doesn't mean they don't have stock piles of gold. Tywin understands that even if they have a stock pile of gold and a bunch of debts to call in, it still isn't close to settling the debt incurred to the Iron Bank. The Tyrells, upon being married into the crown will inherit responsibility of this debt, same as the Lannisters. And since it is assumed by Tywin that they still have wealth, unlike his family, this is something he wants to make sure happens.

Also, wtf zin posting spoilers that weren't in the books! OMG!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Also, wtf zin posting spoilers that weren't in the books! OMG!
spoilers that weren't in the books? :confused:

/taps sarcasm meter

also, when stannis marches his army towards the Wall, wont it leave him open to attack from the Lannisters?

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Well you sure didn't hesitate to click on a spoiler tag that I said would DEFINITELY spoil the story and PM me about it.

Not the actions of someone who doesn't want to know or already know what's going on.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well you sure didn't hesitate to click on a spoiler tag that I said would DEFINITELY spoil the story and PM me about it.

Not the actions of someone who doesn't want to know or already know what's going on.

again, this airtight strategy of yours is pretty obviously laughable.

hover over spoiler, see "zinfamous!" Obviously, nothing will inherently be spoiled for me, having not read anything, if the spoiler accuses me of knowing "something."

Someone else had already pm'd me with this accusation; so naturally, I already assumed you were accusing me of this, as well.

I don't get this thread--well, the mentality of some of the people here. It's very peculiar.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
another thing that's not in the books:
Uncle Ben comes back to life.

who's uncle ben? and when did he die, you ask?

he's the uncle of that minor char that likes spiders.
the uncle died b4 season 1, in the prequel.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
another thing that's not in the books:
Uncle Ben comes back to life.

who's uncle ben? and when did he die, you ask?

he's the uncle of that minor char that likes spiders.
the uncle died b4 season 1, in the prequel.

18s07flxp3jbcjpg.jpg

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

Grow up. I also read that spoiler tag in that childish post of yours because your wording made it obvious you were just being a little brat child.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so if King Roberts didn't do much oversight over the Small Council, then could Littlefinger have cooked the accounting books?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
so if King Roberts didn't do much oversight over the Small Council, then could Littlefinger have cooked the accounting books?
It's more like he said "oh, throw a tournament? SURE!!!" and ran up the debt. Tyrion said of LF "he waves his hands and gold appears". Run up the debt on the crown, then move out as the bank takes the king out. More chaos, more chance for power.

The crown-wearer is a "Baratheon" in name.
Sure, but what's Tywin going to do? Not pay, and lose the power he's enjoying because the Lannisters are really in control? He's only Baratheon in name when it comes to his title to the crown.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
I'm psyched for a good episode tonite.

We regret to inform you that Game of Thrones will not be shown at it's regularly scheduled time tonight. In it's place we bring you this timeless classic: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
We regret to inform you that Game of Thrones will not be shown at it's regularly scheduled time tonight. In it's place we bring you this timeless classic: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn.

Don't even joke about it.
Though, there is one week in this years run where there will be no episode due to the Memorial Day holiday.