Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 291 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The Iron Bank funding the enemies of the crown does make some sense. For example, it's likely that nobody save for Tywin, Tyrion and Petyr know how indebted the crown is. Nobody except Tywin and Cersei know that the gold mines are bare. The crown owed the Iron Bank a "considerable sum" of money which could be tens or hundreds of millions. From the Iron Bank's perspective they could fund someone like Stannis by buying him mercenaries. Pay a few hundred thousand gold for 10,000 troops to put Stannis on the throne with the promise that when he's king he will repay what's owed the bank. Stannis (or whomever) would agree because they don't know the size of the entire debt. From the bank's standpoint it's risking a few hundred thousand for the chance at repayment of a sum 100 or 1000 times as large.

And I think that saying a hundreds of millions might not be too far off. Joffrey was king for only a short while but he blew a ton of money on an elaborate wedding and had a little war to deal with and pay for. Robert was king for about 20 years and didn't care about money at all the entire time. Aerys was king for a long time and was completely insane; it's not likely that he was a penny-pincher. Oh, and he had a war or two to fight as well.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Yea all the stuff with snow is pretty much filmed in Iceland
A lot of the rest is in Ireland

Kings landing is in Croatia, castle-town of Dubrovnik.

not sure where the stuff with Danny is filmed.

I've wanted to go to Dubrovnik for years. Now I want to even more!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Croatia is super gorgeous, and I've wanted to go for some time as well. It's sort of the "in place" for vacationing northern and eastern Europeans.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
the link is removed.

the pictures are posted exactly where i meant to post them. they are for enjoyment, and you are free to not get that.

Ok. It was just a comment just in case you're mistaken, because when I replied there were three pictures and all of them were about show vs. books. I personally don't really care, but others might.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The Iron Bank funding the enemies of the crown does make some sense. For example, it's likely that nobody save for Tywin, Tyrion and Petyr know how indebted the crown is. Nobody except Tywin and Cersei know that the gold mines are bare. The crown owed the Iron Bank a "considerable sum" of money which could be tens or hundreds of millions. From the Iron Bank's perspective they could fund someone like Stannis by buying him mercenaries. Pay a few hundred thousand gold for 10,000 troops to put Stannis on the throne with the promise that when he's king he will repay what's owed the bank. Stannis (or whomever) would agree because they don't know the size of the entire debt. From the bank's standpoint it's risking a few hundred thousand for the chance at repayment of a sum 100 or 1000 times as large.

And I think that saying a hundreds of millions might not be too far off. Joffrey was king for only a short while but he blew a ton of money on an elaborate wedding and had a little war to deal with and pay for. Robert was king for about 20 years and didn't care about money at all the entire time. Aerys was king for a long time and was completely insane; it's not likely that he was a penny-pincher. Oh, and he had a war or two to fight as well.

This. And, even if the risk of a few hundred thousand for repayment isn't enough, it eliminates the previous debtors (violently, I might add) and continues to give incentive for the current debtor to repay, lest he also be unseated. Tywin is trying to marry the Tyrells (who are the richest now, but don't know) to the debt to help pay it.

I didn't think the episode last night was terrible. I liked the Hound and Arya scene. The Hound giving Arya a lesson in strength over substance after relating with her somewhat the night before.

Dany's scene was near pointless. Oh, she isn't this great ruler everyone has been tell her she is? Who would have thunk it?!? And how her planning doesn't include "train dragons until they are full grown" is pretty stupid IMO.

The Wall wasn't terrible, even if it was disappointing for some reasons. Hodor realizing what he had done was a nice touch though, even if he doesn't fully understand it. I also really dislike who a guy with two knives fights a guy with a sword. If you can parry with one hand, why would you attack in the same vicinity as the sword? Why not stab under, forcing an advantage? Jon would have to find a way to avoid a strike in a completely different area than he is ready for. Clearly, the best knife fighter in Flea Bottom hadn't fought very many armed people. Sort of a let down that Bolton's man died before anyone knew anything though.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
when cersei was talking w/Tywin about Tyrions trial, she said something:
"what does tyrion deserve?"

I couldnt understand the rest.

What did she say?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I did not see it coming that Lysa is batshit crazy like that. Seriously! Katelyn wasn't a flawless character (nobody in this story is), but she's normal. Her sister though, is apparently certifiably nuts! No wonder her son is like that.

Oh, and since now we know that LF and Lysa planned pretty much all the mess that started this story, can we now make an assumption that it was them too that framed Tyrion with the dagger thing (attempted murder of Bran while he was recovering from the fall)? It appears they *really* hated the Lannisters and have been playing a very long game to take them all out.

There were some Arya-The Hound scenes last night and those are always good. It's a little weird though that after weeks (and probably months) they've been on the road together that it's the first time he heard his name mentioned on Arya's kill list. I guess the writers just didn't have the slot before and decided to just plug that scene right there (i.e. it could have been anywhere during their long trip together).

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

What did she say?

something like "what does Tyrion deserve for burning down the family legacy?"

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

What did she say?

they were talking about protecting the family name and legacy

she said "what does tyrion deserve for setting that future on fire"

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I did not see it coming that Lysa is batshit crazy like that. Seriously! Katelyn wasn't a flawless character (nobody in this story is), but she's normal. Her sister though, is apparently certifiably nuts! No wonder her son is like that.
You didn't see the lady who breast fed her 10 year old as not being batshit crazy?

Oh, and since now we know that LF and Lysa planned pretty much all the mess that started this story, can we now make an assumption that it was them too that framed Tyrion with the dagger thing (attempted murder of Bran while he was recovering from the fall)? It appears they *really* hated the Lannisters and have been playing a very long game to take them all out.
I am pretty sure this was in the show, but I am not entirely sure. I remember seeing it, but I could be senile. So, I will spoiler this.
LF merely took the opportunity to frame Tyrion, as the culprit was Joffrey. He admits he did it out of pity to his mother.

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
).

im gonna say no. theres no way they could have known about it that quickly

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
well, no characters introduced so far. the miners, management and the towns built on mines would know there is exactly zero gold coming out.

This. Nobody of import or in King's Landing knows the mines are dried up. However, I wouldn't put it past Tywin to silence all the miners and their families. You know, all for the legacy.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I am wondering if last night's scene with Arya and Sandor was GRRM's way of telling the audience "Syrio Forel is dead, damnit!"

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
well, no characters introduced so far. the miners, management and the towns built on mines would know there is exactly zero gold coming out.

With someone like Tywin I wouldn't be surprised if no one else knew the entire picture. Some plebes might know that a particular vein is no longer productive but I'd bet that Tywin would keep the big picture knowledge to himself.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I've wanted to go to Dubrovnik for years. Now I want to even more!

Cool looking city

dubrovnik_01.jpg

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Here is what I don't get about the whole Iron Bank thing:

So the Iron Bank lent money to Robert when he was king in a time of peace, and kept that credit line open for the Lannisters apparently.

But what will be the income that pays this money back?

If it was just money borrowed during a time of war then when it was a time of peace with one ruler I guess it could be paid back for taxes or something.

But if Robert needed the credit line during a time of peace, when could the leaders of Westeros EVER get ahead?

I am starting to think the Iron Bank doesn't care as much about payback and cares more about having leverage against the most powerful force in the western part of the world.

And if that is the case, LF is complicit in that desire and might be backed by much more important players than we have seen so far.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

It seems like they'll go that way.

It doesn't make much sense that they'd be able to pull that off so quickly, unless they had someone with the knife just looking for the best opportunity to frame Tyrion and that one presented itself.

But I just hate this kind of stuff in tv shows, where they lead you on a misdirection for so long, then throw in the plot twist. Anything we discuss or try to figure out about the show, can be changed at the author's whim at any point in time. For 3+ seasons the show has built up this Lannister vs. Stark rivalry and now we find out the war and the killing could have been avoided if they would have just taken even 10 minutes to just sit down and talk with each other.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again: I'm rooting for the white walkers to march South and kill off every last noble in Westeros. Let the people who just want to live in peace, live in peace without these nobles abusing them jockeying for their own power.

Last edited:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
But if Robert needed the credit line during a time of peace, when could the leaders of Westeros EVER get ahead?

Robert was a big spender who loved wasting money on feasts and tournaments and other suchsilliness. I think the assumption is that a well-run kingdom could make a profit. People keep lending money to the USA and we just get deeper in debt every year, so there is a precedent set for that sort of economic plan.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Here is what I don't get about the whole Iron Bank thing:

So the Iron Bank lent money to Robert when he was king in a time of peace, and kept that credit line open for the Lannisters apparently.

But what will be the income that pays this money back?

If it was just money borrowed during a time of war then when it was a time of peace with one ruler I guess it could be paid back for taxes or something.

I am starting to think the Iron Bank doesn't care as much about payback and cares more about having leverage against the most powerful force in the western part of the world.

And if that is the case, LF is complicit in that desire and might be backed by much more important players than we have seen so far.

The Iron Bank doesn't necessarily need for the money to be paid back. It only needs for interest payments to continue. Eventually, if the bank plays it right it gets back the principle and more from these payments even though there is still an amount equal to the principle still outstanding.

You see it all the time on credit card debt today. You can max out the card and just keep paying your monthly amount which only slightly reduces your principle. After awhile you can have paid two or three times the amount you "borrowed" in payments to the credit card company yet still have a large balance. And the credit card company will even increase your limit, in effect loaning you more money, as long as you can continue to make your monthly payment.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
You didn't see the lady who breast fed her 10 year old as not being batshit crazy?

Well.... not *that* crazy! The breastfeeding thing actually really happens in our real world even now (probably not that extreme, but you never know), so no, I didn't see it.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I am still surprised LF turned out the be a mastermind.

Whether LF planned on Tyrion being framed or not, he is in a perfect position.

He married crazy lady. Now once there is an accident and crazy lady and nursing boy are killed, King Little Finger can marry Sansa. LF gets everything he wanted.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Wasn't she breastfeeding her ~12 year-old son when we first saw her in season 1? or was that season 2?

Either that, or the personality of her son was quite disturbing, owing to how we saw her handling him. I thought it was pretty clear that this lady was disturbed.

But aiding LittleFinger with the murder(s), I did not expect. Her interaction with Sansa later in the episode was not surprising to me.