Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 288 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Sorry, I was merely objecting to the idea that we could spoil someone so old. Are we still not allowed to say what Bruce Willis was at the end of The Sixth Sense?

I've tried to do nothing but discuss what has aired, but I might not have been perfect at it.

You think you're clever, but you're not. If you think the age of the books means that it has significantly more exposure than a mainstream movie, you are mistaken. If everyone read the books then much of the show would be pointless. If you think the show is for book readers and, thus, a thread about the show is appropriate for book spoilers, you are down-right retarded.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
bran's story has really improved since the scene in the tower, where he splits from his brother. going to craster's is a matter of convenience for the writers, though. "all the wildling settlements are abandoned"...yes, which is why they should take shelter there and not fucking craster's.
Bran is going to Craster's for the direwolves after he wharged and saw them. The Watch is going to Craster's to prevent an intel leak to Mance Rayder. Neither are going because other settlements are or aren't abandoned.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Tyrions trial prediction:
1) he's found guilty
2) Tyrion chooses his sellsword as his champion for trial by combat.
3) Tywin chooses Jamie (leader of the king's guard) to represent the empire.

Jamie and the sellsword fight for real.

And the winner is?

edit:
and I wonder how Jamie will explain his missing Valarian sword?

Isn't that "trial by combat" just an Eeyrie thing? Anyway, I thought that was the dumbest thing I've seen in the show by far.

So...let's say you're on trial for attempted murder as Tyrion was in the Eeyrie. Even if you actually did it, you can redeem yourself by...killing someone?! What? So, if you're good at killing, you can get away with killing someone by killing someone else.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Isn't that "trial by combat" just an Eeyrie thing? Anyway, I thought that was the dumbest thing I've seen in the show by far.

No, seems pretty universal AFAICT. It was also used when the Hound was captured by the Brotherhood without Banners.

It is lifted from history, according to Wikipedia Germanic tribes used it. Supposedly the god(s) were supposed to give the right one the strength to win.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Yes, in trial by combat the winner is not determined by the better fighter but by the fighter with the favor of the correct god or gods.

Which, if you think about it, makes the Hound's fight a pretty telling statement by GRRM. He murdered that boy. Arya knows he murdered that boy. The audience knows he murdered that boy. Yet he still won his trial by combat. The only possible answers are that either the gods, in this case the red god specifically, don't exist despite the "proof" shown to believers in the form of magic powers or the gods do exist but they just don't care.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

So...let's say you're on trial for attempted murder as Tyrion was in the Eeyrie. Even if you actually did it, you can redeem yourself by...killing someone?! What? So, if you're good at killing, you can get away with killing someone by killing someone else.

is it any dumber than "trial by dunking you, bound, in a lake and letting God proclaim your withcraft guilt or your innocence (after death, obviously)?"

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
is it any dumber than "trial by dunking you, bound, in a lake and letting God proclaim your withcraft guilt or your innocence (after death, obviously)?"
Wood! Wood!

I'm surprised no one is talking about the implication Sansa will kill someone (soon?).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wood! Wood!

I'm surprised no one is talking about the implication Sansa will kill someone (soon?).

Anyone else totally fucked by seeing the next week preview by mistake? (NOT Sansa related)

SPOILER FROM PREVIEWS SPOILER FROM PREVIEWS! AVERT YOUR EYES, YE DELICATE MEN!

WTF--Arya stabbing the Hound? I mean, not shocking that she was heading that way...but fuck, why show this? unless it actually isn't serious

END PREVIEW SPOILER

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Lord of the Rings trilogy versus Game of Thrones.

Your opinion?

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Lord of the Rings versus Game of Thrones.

Your opinion?

Completely different types of stories in my opinion. LotR is a fantasy epic, with a clear quest. Classic good vs evil. A Song of Ice and Fire is far more about the characters and their motivations themselves, not necessarily the end.

Personally, from a pure one or the other perspective, I prefer ASOIAF over LOTR. Westeros is far more interesting because their isn't a Sauron for everyone to rally against. I guess, technically there is (white walkers), but nobody even cares about them except the Wall (and maybe Stannis, if he'd ever do anything except talk down to Davos).

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Anyone else totally fucked by seeing the next week preview by mistake? (NOT Sansa related)

SPOILER FROM PREVIEWS SPOILER FROM PREVIEWS! AVERT YOUR EYES, YE DELICATE MEN!

WTF--Arya stabbing the Hound? I mean, not shocking that she was heading that way...but fuck, why show this? unless it actually isn't serious

END PREVIEW SPOILER

It was rather strange for that to be in the preview. I suppose the outcome from said event is what they were hoping would be the enticing part, not the event itself? Idk. Even the show synopsis had a screw up spoiler (for book readers, at least), so maybe someone dun goofed.

Mar 10, 2005
So you are basically saying you want this thread dead?

O37DFUc.gif

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

So you think she'll kill Littlefinger?

There was another bit of foreshadowing last episode, "I was the best archer in my hamlet." Or was that one so obvious no one bothered mentioning it?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Ned Stark's daughter is not going to make a solemn vow to someone to wear that necklace and then not follow through. Well, maybe Arya. But Sansa values honor too highly to swear to do something and then renege on her promise.

So their plan hinged on the assumption that Sansa would make a solemn vow to wear it? What if she insisted "Sorry, I can't." -- never agreeing to do I at all?

Even then, why was it so important to use the necklace to deliver poison? It would have been FAR easier for Oleanna to simply conceal a few drops somewhere. That's much better than depending on an unwitting accomplice. Lots of things could go wrong. What if Sansa had accidentally poisoned herself? What if she noticed Oleanna taking the jewel and confronted her in the open?

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Tyrion says, "Sansa is not a killer. Not yet anyways." Which may be foreshadowing that she is eventually going to kill someone.
It's a little more than that, it's the format of the show. As they switch scenes the character often says something important to the next scene. Next scene was Sansa with LF.

So you think she'll kill Littlefinger?

There was another bit of foreshadowing last episode, "I was the best archer in my hamlet." Or was that one so obvious no one bothered mentioning it?
It's pretty reasonable, but I think he'll stick around until next season. If she makes it to the Vale she doesn't have a motive to kill anyone else up there.

So who do you think the boy will snipe? Ygritte?