Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 268 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
the books might as well be Wuthering Heights as far as the show adaptation is concerned. Not only does adding book information spoil the books for others, it actually adds nothing to the discussion of the show.

The TV series is its own entity. If it departs, it departs for a reason. If the characters behave in different ways, if people appear that don't exist or die or survive differently, it is because the show is not the book, and should not be criticized in relation to the books.

If the books are required for people to enjoy the show, or to follow along, then the TV adaptation would be a miserable failure. I can promise you that I feel no loss whatsoever remaining ignorant of the books

If anything, this argument supports posting book spoilers in this thread, because the show doesn't necessarily follow the books. I honestly think people get too worked up over spoilers, anyway. Who cares if you know what's coming, does that really diminish seeing it happen? It really goes too far to say you have to put stuff in spoiler tags for the last aired episode! If you don't want to be spoiled on something that has already aired, stay out of the thread.

Of course, I have a weird way of watching shows and movies anyway. I almost always read what happens in a given show or movie before watching it. If I know where the show is going then I tend to catch subtle hints and foreshadowing that I may have otherwise missed.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
If anything, this argument supports posting book spoilers in this thread, because the show doesn't necessarily follow the books. I honestly think people get too worked up over spoilers, anyway. Who cares if you know what's coming, does that really diminish seeing it happen? It really goes too far to say you have to put stuff in spoiler tags for the last aired episode! If you don't want to be spoiled on something that has already aired, stay out of the thread.

Of course, I have a weird way of watching shows and movies anyway. I almost always read what happens in a given show or movie before watching it. If I know where the show is going then I tend to catch subtle hints and foreshadowing that I may have otherwise missed.

I am in agreement, as the journey is better than the destination in this show. But, I get where the people who don't want to be spoiled are coming from. And the mods have spoken, so it is left at that.

I don't think talking about the books and possibly differences or background (without giving away future events) shouldn't be outright banned, but I am not in charge so it doesn't really matter that I think that.

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
I am in agreement, as the journey is better than the destination in this show. But, I get where the people who don't want to be spoiled are coming from. And the mods have spoken, so it is left at that.

I don't think talking about the books and possibly differences or background (without giving away future events) shouldn't be outright banned, but I am not in charge so it doesn't really matter that I think that.

I understand putting spoiler tags over things that have yet to happen in the show, but to outright ban those discussions seems extreme. But, as you said, the mods have spoken.................

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I understand putting spoiler tags over things that have yet to happen in the show, but to outright ban those discussions seems extreme. But, as you said, the mods have spoken.................

I think the heavy handed ban is mostly because certain people couldn't distinguish between spoiler and background information, so they went with a "no grey area" approach.

Definitely looking forward to this week's episode! I don't think the aftermath has really set in yet.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
If anything, this argument supports posting book spoilers in this thread, because the show doesn't necessarily follow the books. I honestly think people get too worked up over spoilers, anyway. Who cares if you know what's coming, does that really diminish seeing it happen?

Are you serious?????

I will just type two words that destroy your argument:
Red Wedding

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I think the heavy handed ban is mostly because certain people couldn't distinguish between spoiler and background information, so they went with a "no grey area" approach.

Definitely looking forward to this week's episode! I don't think the aftermath has really set in yet.

The problem, and it has gone on for a very long time, is that there are people who don't put spoilers in spoiler tags. And just to show how crazy it had gotten, even when warned by mods not to post spoilers, they continued to post spoilers.

Anyone who doesn't care about spoilers can just go to the thread that allows spoilers.

What is growing old is the debate. There is one thread for book spoilers and one where you can't post them. Yet, apparently, some people still can't understand that.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Have started watching Boardwalk and the difference between that writing and GoT is like night and day. I'm in full agreement. Not just writing but overall quality as well

Can you and PHG go to PM or make a new thread of how much you hate GoT?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
there's a lot of value to be placed on experiencing surprise/shock that a spoiler steals away.

it would be like starting Walking Dead and already knowing that in the Season 4 finale, Michonne goes crazy and cuts Daryl in half.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

I think it's also because so many people use tapatalk on their mobile device, which doesn't honor the spoiler tags.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
there's a lot of value to be placed on experiencing surprise/shock that a spoiler steals away.

it would be like starting Walking Dead and already knowing that in the Season 4 finale, Michonne goes crazy and cuts Daryl in half.

And again here we go...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
So are most of you guys just trying to challenge the mods are really just retarded in this thread?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I can't say I would be upset watching a season of Aegon the Conqueror "uniting" the 7 kingdoms with his dragons.

He only united 6...

Dorne was never conquered, they came into the fold through marriage.

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"

Dorne is pretty badass.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

What if the Lord of Light is behind the zombie apocalypse?!?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

I disagree. Vehemently. I had just started watching season 1 after buying the season 1 and 2 Blu-Rays when some jerk said "someone kill a Lannister already!" in anticipation of season 3. I knew that Tyrion wasn't going to "fly" or die with the Hill people. I knew that Ned wouldn't kill Jamie. I knew that Sansa wouldn't push Joffery off after forcing her to look at her father's head. I knew that neither he nor Joffery would be killed at Blackwater Bay (ruined cliffhanger). I knew that Cersei wouldn't poison Tommen and herself. If you don't see how that ruins things then that right there is the reason you aren't supposed to be here after reading the books.

GRRM's picture of him holding a sign saying "Be nice to me or [character's name] gets it!" is the same kind of spoiler only it's going to ruin that character's suspense for at least four more seasons (sign tells me the character is still alive in the books and, therefore, the next four seasons).

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I disagree. Vehemently. I had just started watching season 1 after buying the season 1 and 2 Blu-Rays when some jerk said "someone kill a Lannister already!" in anticipation of season 3. I knew that Tyrion wasn't going to "fly" or die with the Hill people. I knew that Ned wouldn't kill Jamie. I knew that Sansa wouldn't push Joffery off after forcing her to look at her father's head. I knew that neither he nor Joffery would be killed at Blackwater Bay (ruined cliffhanger). I knew that Cersei wouldn't poison Tommen and herself. If you don't see how that ruins thing's then that right there is the reason you aren't supposed to be here after reading the books.

You also started watching it a few years too late. Plus, could you agree that despite knowing the characters would survive, you still enjoyed the movie? Here is a spoiler: Bruce Willis survives every Die Hard movie, including any future ones! The boat sinks and 99% of the people die at the end of Titanic!

If you are adverse to spoilers, partaking in conversations about the 3rd season of something in which you've not seen the first, is a bit silly.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I think it's also because so many people use tapatalk on their mobile device, which doesn't honor the spoiler tags.

It does but AT forums was broken in such a way that they only worked once in a blue moon. AT forums is still broken such that I can't search for a user's post or search a particular subforum.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
The TV series is its own entity. If it departs, it departs for a reason. If the characters behave in different ways, if people appear that don't exist or die or survive differently, it is because the show is not the book, and should not be criticized in relation to the books.

And how dare we criticize the producers for the choices that they have made, post facto, on presenting the source material - you know, the way every other discussion thread of every other similar tv show has ever done.

Ive been posting here since 1998, under two different user names (because I lost my login info about 10 years ago).

This is the first time I have been absolutely embarressed by the mentality of the mods.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You also started watching it a few years too late. Plus, could you agree that despite knowing the characters would survive, you still enjoyed the movie? Here is a spoiler: Bruce Willis survives every Die Hard movie, including any future ones! The boat sinks and 99% of the people die at the end of Titanic!

If you are adverse to spoilers, partaking in conversations about the 3rd season of something in which you've not seen the first, is a bit silly.
Your assumptions are completely wrong.

This happened completely outside of any GoT or TV thread. In fact, the jerk was talking to another person who had just purchased season 2 and had not watched it yet, so he spoiled it for both of us or anyone else happening by his post.

Next, while spoiling certain characters does not ruin the entire show, it certainly can ruin a lot of their best and most tense scenes.

And the show was not even two years old yet when we ran into that jerk (season 3 had yet to start).

There's nothing silly about waiting for the first opportunity to watch it legally when it is released on home video.

Last edited:

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
While I agree that Robert's Rebellion would be the best prequel type thing, I wouldn't mind a "History of Westeros" season, where every episode (or two) is a retelling of some ancient history. Aegon the Conqueror, Robert's Rebellion, Ser Duncan the Tall, something with the wall. Similar to like a one shot in comics; just some expanding on the story. Maybe Davos during this smuggling days?

The full story of Robert's Rebellion has not been shown on the show. Careful what you discuss.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Can you and PHG go to PM or make a new thread of how much you hate GoT?

I don't hate GoT at all. The sets, costumes, and some of the characters are amazing. Also some of the scenes have really good writing.

For example, when I look back at Jamie's exploits last year almost every scene with him and the amazon were captivating. Great great stuff.

Then we jump to this year, and that freaking picture earlier in the thread nailed what should have been in the show (the "like a brother" line for the amazon when Cersei asks if she loved him).

I mean, heck episode to episode its streaky. The chicken scene with the hound was amazing, the farmer scene less so. The writing quality is all over the place.

Honestly part of the problem I think is how popular the show has gotten. I have talked to too many people who "love" GoT but JUST BARELY follow along with the plot. Like some characters they have no clue what is going on (and they will admit that), so they spend the entire episode waiting for their favorite character (always Dany) to come back on.

Just like TBBT changed from a nerd show to "The Zoo of Sheldon," I think in some cases the GoT writers push the audience too hard on what characters they should be loving and hating. And because of that heavy-handed approach some of us love characters we should hate (I was a Joff fan) and hate characters they want us to love (I am SO tired of Dany's Abraham Lincoln bit).

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So how did the Dornes resist the Dragons?

spears/scorpions (super spears on wheels ala Sparticus final fight scene)?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
And how dare we criticize the producers for the choices that they have made, post facto, on presenting the source material - you know, the way every other discussion thread of every other similar tv show has ever done.

Ive been posting here since 1998, under two different user names (because I lost my login info about 10 years ago).

This is the first time I have been absolutely embarressed by the mentality of the mods.

It's the mentality of the users, not the mods. They were acting on multiple complaints over an extended period from multiple members. As usual, it was a few members causing the problems, but in order to solve the problem for everyone, you have to make a general rule to prohibit the behaviour.

Fortunately there is an already existing thread to discuss all of those book and show related things you want, so go forth and have fun discussing it all in that thread.

It still truly boggles my mind that people are having difficulties understanding this and the ongoing discussion has become extremely tedious.

KT

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
I don't hate GoT at all. The sets, costumes, and some of the characters are amazing. Also some of the scenes have really good writing.

For example, when I look back at Jamie's exploits last year almost every scene with him and the amazon were captivating. Great great stuff.

Then we jump to this year, and that freaking picture earlier in the thread nailed what should have been in the show (the "like a brother" line for the amazon when Cersei asks if she loved him).

I mean, heck episode to episode its streaky. The chicken scene with the hound was amazing, the farmer scene less so. The writing quality is all over the place.

Honestly part of the problem I think is how popular the show has gotten. I have talked to too many people who "love" GoT but JUST BARELY follow along with the plot. Like some characters they have no clue what is going on (and they will admit that), so they spend the entire episode waiting for their favorite character (always Dany) to come back on.

Just like TBBT changed from a nerd show to "The Zoo of Sheldon," I think in some cases the GoT writers push the audience too hard on what characters they should be loving and hating. And because of that heavy-handed approach some of us love characters we should hate (I was a Joff fan) and hate characters they want us to love (I am SO tired of Dany's Abraham Lincoln bit).

In my experience, there are three broad categories of fans of the show/books:

1. Loves the world building, likes the way that the series plays with and violates normal fantasy tropes. These people tend to be book fans.
  2. Likes the plot advancement and specific characters. Can be either book or show fans.
  3. Likes the battle, gore, sex, and wedding scenes, but doesn't really follow the story. Tend to be show (and Dany/Dragon) fans.
None of these ways of enjoying the series is "wrong", but I think the first group tends to get a more consistent experience out of both the show and the books. Every episode (and most chapters in the book) has something to offer if you're interested in knowing a bit more about this world and place. Plot advancement, though, is certainly less consistent. Martin in particular seems to like toying with the very idea of plot advancement, moving a step forward, then immediately a step back, as if to taunt you for thinking we were getting somewhere.