Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I just got to the point in the book where
Dany is at the market and Mormont saves her from the poisoning. Then Drogo promises to get the iron thrown for his son.....
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I just got to the point in the book where
Dany is at the market and Mormont saves her from the poisoning. Then Drogo promises to get the iron thrown for his son.....
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

what iron is he going to throw for his son? or did you mean throne?
:sneaky:

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
"Reading" (audiobook) the second book now. Reminded of how hard it was to get through the first one. There are great characters and plots and the end result is quite rewarding, but for every one great page there's a hundred of mundane shit like people walking from here to there. Maybe I just don't get the genre.

Also, I get the "keep it real" angle of the story, but shit, sometimes you just want to read where the hero kicks the bad guy's ass. In aggregate, there's not a lot of that going on.

/blog

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
lol, just saw episode 7. epic lulz.

also, i'm really digging the drogo guy. reminds me of conan, "to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women" :cool:

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006

also, i'm really digging the drogo guy. reminds me of conan, "to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women" :cool:

Well, considering he will be playing Conan in the upcoming movie, you're not too far off.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Well, considering he will be playing Conan in the upcoming movie, you're not too far off.

know.gif

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
"Reading" (audiobook) the second book now. Reminded of how hard it was to get through the first one. There are great characters and plots and the end result is quite rewarding, but for every one great page there's a hundred of mundane shit like people walking from here to there. Maybe I just don't get the genre.

Also, I get the "keep it real" angle of the story, but shit, sometimes you just want to read where the hero kicks the bad guy's ass. In aggregate, there's not a lot of that going on.

/blog

i do agree the good guy getting a win occasionally would be nice. But i don't think he knows where the series is really going yet. hope it's not a lost repeat(worst ending ever)

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I haven't watch the show yet, but plan too. Have they gotten to the part in the book series were we learn those who are killed by the white walkers can be reanimated under there control. In the first episode we saw the girl he thought was killed start moving again. She was killed, but those killed by the white walkers become reanimated slaves.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I haven't watch the show yet, but plan too. Have they gotten to the part in the book series were we learn those who are killed by the white walkers can be reanimated under there control. In the first episode we saw the girl he thought was killed start moving again. She was killed, but those killed by the white walkers become reanimated slaves.

I don't think that was in the first book so I doubt it will be in the first season.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
i do agree the good guy getting a win occasionally would be nice. But i don't think he knows where the series is really going yet. hope it's not a lost repeat(worst ending ever)

I've caught up with the series, and I can guarantee you that there is approximately zero 'good guy wins' moments in the series, perhaps save of Tyrion Lannister's various sneaky victories. At most some 'good' guys enjoy temporary victory here or there, but ultimately suffer blindness, death, or other horrible suffering. And this is four huge books in :p

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Most watched it last week.

Some of us are stuck with TimeWarner (sadface).

I'm enjoying it, though my memory of the chain of events is turning out to be really fuzzy. That's actually making it more enjoyable.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

I dunno, he's too pretty to be a barbarian. Every time I see him I feel like I'm watching Baywatch.

Also, the dude playing Tywin is awesome.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Watched Ep.7 with the wife last night, and the LittleFinger scene in his brothel got her fired up enough to have to pause the show for a bit ;)

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
Do the Starks hold any significance later on? Their my favorite house and it looks like everything is going downhill for them.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

It's not like the bad guys are having a field day either. That's the most interesting thing about the books, you're never entirely sure about who is going to be left. GRRM has shown that nobody is safe and he's willing to off main characters at the drop of a hat. That makes every scene a nailbiter as it's a mystery who will win or even survive. That's something no other fantasy series does, all the seemingly life or death fights are ALWAYS going to end with the most important characters surviving so they can be there in the end. That's something unique to this series, as soon as somebody emerges as a major hero or a main villain they're in deep shit. At least 5 or 6 times in the first three books I was sure I had it figured out that the ultimate confrontation would be between character X and character Y. And every time I was wrong.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My thought is that the Lannisters seizing power when the Dothraki are planning to attack might just be... well... really bad timing :p.

Some of us are stuck with TimeWarner (sadface).

I'm enjoying it, though my memory of the chain of events is turning out to be really fuzzy. That's actually making it more enjoyable.

You don't get HBO GO with Time Warner? I thought all HBO subscribers could get it :eek:.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I dunno, he's too pretty to be a barbarian. Every time I see him I feel like I'm watching Baywatch.

Also, the dude playing Tywin is awesome.

When I saw the actor and how they made him look for the part I was very happy as he reminded me so much of the character in the book. :p

Do the Starks hold any significance later on? Their my favorite house and it looks like everything is going downhill for them.

They are in the next book a lot and are still important then and while they are in the later ones it's more of minor characters compared to early on like we have seen it.

So for the rest of the season and next season you will be happy but probably not so much later on with the exception of Jon but then again he really isn't considered a Stark.

The problem with the later books is so many new characters get added that many of the people you read about early on seem to get placed on the back burner.

Last edited: