Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 188 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Guess I can't read that Wiki if I don't want things spoiled on the tv show, right?

The last wiki above is about the books and they are more progressed than the TV series.

You will find spoilers there.

Not everything in the books happens exactly the same way on TV though.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
I just started watching it again from the beginning for second time. It's amazing the things that I've forgotten about since I haven't watched season 1 since it aired originally.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
finished season 3,

freaking fabulous!!

I'll admit the ending was sort of a whimper...but I guess they needed it to set up season 4.

I honestly don't feel like I'm left on a big cliff hanger...which is nice for a change.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I wish there was a way to find out what happened to him...even in the books Arya runs away and you never learn his fate.

He's dead. Unless somewhere down the line GRRM needs him to be alive, then he's alive.

Simple.

There could be a whole Syrio thread, his non-death death is interesting. Given how readily and graphically other characters are whacked leaving Syrio's fate that uncertain is a pretty big deal. The more I think about it the more I believe he's actually alive and is one of the Faceless Men.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
He's dead. Unless somewhere down the line GRRM needs him to be alive, then he's alive.

Simple.

There could be a whole Syrio thread, his non-death death is interesting. Given how readily and graphically other characters are whacked leaving Syrio's fate that uncertain is a pretty big deal. The more I think about it the more I believe he's actually alive and is one of the Faceless Men.

Well, they made it appear that he's accepting death, even though the point he kept reiterating to Arya (even in his "last" moments) is that is one should never, ever accept death/defeat. I think there has to be meaning to this contradiction.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

Simple.

Through all the books I've expected him to make an appearance. He took out like 6 guys in armor with steel weapons with a wooden sword and then one guy(a member of the kingsguard that according to the story a shadow of it's former members) is supposed to kill him? I don't buy it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Through all the books I've expected him to make an appearance. He took out like 6 guys in armor with steel weapons with a wooden sword and then one guy(a member of the kingsguard that according to the story a shadow of it's former members) is supposed to kill him? I don't buy it.

With Arya traveling abroad, you would have thought they would run into each other if he was truly alive. Maybe I haen't read far enough, but that would have been the point to reintroduce him IMO.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I just started watching it again from the beginning for second time. It's amazing the things that I've forgotten about since I haven't watched season 1 since it aired originally.

There's a lot going on, hard to hold it all in your head. Gotta wonder how George RR Martin does it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
There's a lot going on, hard to hold it all in your head. Gotta wonder how George RR Martin does it.

He has it already written down. He just spends years and years taking his notes/writings and making it into an actual book. From everything I read, he is pretty prescriptive on how he compiles his thoughts.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

Syrio the pirate "dance partner"?

I thought his head was on a pike beside the other ones. Guess not? I couldn't believe how he didn't manage to pick up a single steel sword from the 6 guys he knocked down to take the last one out.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Syrio the pirate "dance partner"?

I thought his head was on a pike beside the other ones. Guess not? I couldn't believe how he didn't manage to pick up a single steel sword from the 6 guys he knocked down to take the last one out.

Which is why I sort of believe he's alive. He was good enough to kill Meryn Trant and the rest of them. But killing them wouldn't help him, they'd just keep sending more and better knights after him. But if he defeated them, left them unconscious and slipped away he would trust that Trant was a big enough weasel to claim that Syrio was dead so he didn't get taken out by an angry Cersei for failing to kill him. That leaves Syrio free to go about his work without fear of more henchman trying to kill him. So he's going to stay "dead" for now, but somewhere down the line there's a chance that he'll pop up.

Last edited:

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Which is why I sort of believe he's alive. He was good enough to kill Meryn Trant and the rest of them. But killing them wouldn't help him, they'd just keep sending more and better knights after him. But if he defeated them, left them unconscious and slipped away he would trust that Trant was a big enough weasel to claim that Syrio was dead so he didn't get taken out by an angry Cersei for failing to kill him. That leaves Syrio free to go about his work without fear of more henchman trying to kill him. So he's going to stay "dead" for now, but somewhere down the line there's a chance that he'll pop up.

nah, he dead

even if he not dead, GRRM smart enough to know that the only thing more painful than knowing one of your favorite characters is dead, is not knowing for sure.

Last edited:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
nah, he dead

even if he not dead, GRRM smart enough to know that the only thing more painful than knowing one of your favorite characters is dead, is not knowing for sure.

2 problems with that line of reasoning:

1) Even when characters are dead, they're not necessarily dead. Berric has returned from the dead and so have a couple of others.

2)
GRRM doesn't seem to agree about it being more painful to not know. When he kills off characters he generally does it definitively and with great gusto. Even major characters like Robb and Ned, there's no doubt that they're well and truly whacked. He's only left 2 characters in the nebulous realm of not knowing whether they're alive or not, Syrio and Sandor. And nobody really believes Sandor is dead, so why make that assumption on Syrio? There's a reason they're not dead beyond the shadow of a doubt and it's most definitely not the supposed pain of not knowing. They're left up in the air for a reason and logically it's so that they can return.

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
2 problems with that line of reasoning:

1) Even when characters are dead, they're not necessarily dead. Berric has returned from the dead and so have a couple of others.

2)
GRRM doesn't seem to agree about it being more painful to not know. When he kills off characters he generally does it definitively and with great gusto. Even major characters like Robb and Ned, there's no doubt that they're well and truly whacked. He's only left 2 characters in the nebulous realm of not knowing whether they're alive or not, Syrio and Sandor. And nobody really believes Sandor is dead, so why make that assumption on Syrio? There's a reason they're not dead beyond the shadow of a doubt and it's most definitely not the supposed pain of not knowing. They're left up in the air for a reason and logically it's so that they can return.

I definitely don't think Sandor Clegane is dead either, but then again GRRM is the antithesis of normal fantasy writing so who knows. It just doesn't fit into normal literary works for Sandor (the anti-hero) to not have some form of major redemption prior to getting killed off. He just kinda fizzled out and was left laying there. In this type of low fantasy I guess that could happen, but most other characters like you said go out with a big bang, and he just layed down and stopped moving. Doesn't seem like something he would do.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I definitely don't think Sandor Clegane is dead either, but then again GRRM is the antithesis of normal fantasy writing so who knows. It just doesn't fit into normal literary works for Sandor (the anti-hero) to not have some form of major redemption prior to getting killed off. He just kinda fizzled out and was left laying there. In this type of low fantasy I guess that could happen, but most other characters like you said go out with a big bang, and he just layed down and stopped moving. Doesn't seem like something he would do.

Even more than trying to fit Sandor's redemption into the narrative and not leaving his storyline unfinished, there are clues scattered around that Sandor is really alive. He hasn't truly fizzled out, he's just gone into hiding. When the abbot in the monastery is asked about Sandor's fate, he replies with lines like "He is at peace" and "The Hound is dead". I, and generally everyone else that followed that plot sideline, took those lines to mean that Sandor is alive, has found peace and has cast away the last shreds of "The Hound" to become just Sandor.

I think he'll eventually make the complete turn to the side of good and will probably come back to play a major role against Cersei and her minions. Hell, of all the anti-heroes in the series he's already the one least in need of major redemption. He's protected Sansa and Arya and prevented Gregor from killing Loras. Over the last couple of books he's behaved fairly honorably. He and Tyrion were the only two characters on the Lannister side that had a conscience.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Watched the Joffrey video and he seemed like a good kid. Seems like hes tired of playing an asshole with little depth. Well theres depth of depravity but still.

Really looking forward to the new season. Finally caught up to new season. Thanks guys for watching the spoilers as well.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
My GF couldn't wait until April for my bday and gave me the Limited Edition BR set for S3 last night. Now we'll start up a marathon of watching S1 - S3, mostly to avoid all the "Who was that guy again? Why does she want to do that? etc." type questions (even though they'll still happen, but with less frequency).