Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 173 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Ehh people always complain when they come in these types of threads and cry because they haven't watched the latest episodes so just ignore the trolls.

Personally I think more geeks here are just happy to drop spoilers and get all giddy about it.

Also it's hard to miss things when you are subscribed.

In general, in speaking about series; one usually knows to give 2-3 days before throwing spoilers out.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
I know the books aren't written yet, but this has to end with Stannis on the Iron Throne, and Kahleesi controlling the islands to the east, right? Tywin is going to be killed, Jaime has no interest in war later in the books, Rob's dead, Renly's dead, Ned Stark is dead, Cercei is going to be in dire straights, Joffrey's going to be dead. Who's left? I figure the Kahleesi ends up too bogged down with obligations over in her part of the world and feels an obligation to stay and rule over there, leaving no one to challenge Stannis.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
If you haven't watched the most recent show, you shouldn't be on this thread. And if you haven't read the books, you should assume all spoiler posts are actual spoilers for the show.
this

If you haven't watched the latest episode, why are you in the thread where people discuss what happened in the show?

That's just it: I HAVE watched the most recent episode, which is why I read a spoiler from the book presented as being from the show. If you don't see how this can affect people who are caught up, follow the quote tree. There are many, many, many examples of things that used the spoiler tags for events that happened in the show, so it's not like I'm making this up. We need to pay attention to the context of what we say outside of the tags if we expect them to do any good.

Also, HBO doing things like giving episodes early for HBO Go and such proves even more that discussion of the show often needs spoiler tags. We get HBO but we don't get HBO Go (small cable company).

The rule of thumb is once it airs, anything that happens in the show is fair game. People on the west coast know to avoid this thread just before the show airs because of the spoilers coming from the east.
The spoiler hasn't "aired." :colbert: Plenty of people give that courtesy anyway for things that have recently aired (need I give examples?) and there was every indication that this is what Desi was doing.

"I just finished season 3 and...
"
"Oh really? Me too. I can read that spoiler."
D:

Ehh people always complain when they come in these types of threads and cry because they haven't watched the latest episodes so just ignore the trolls.

You completely missed the point. Did you even read? I have seen every episode produced and released. The issue is that a huge spoiler from the book was presented as one from the "latest episodes" and that's why it completely failed to do the duty of a spoiler tag.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Personally I think more geeks here are just happy to drop spoilers and get all giddy about it.

Also it's hard to miss things when you are subscribed.

In general, in speaking about series; one usually knows to give 2-3 days before throwing spoilers out.

Spoilers are never needed to be used for the current episode that has aired for that long and that's the persons fault for not staying with a current episode yet viewing the thread.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Spoilers are never needed to be used for the current episode that has aired for that long and that's the persons fault for not staying with a current episode yet viewing the thread.

You STILL aren't reading. :colbert: I DID stay current. It's not my fault that people give courtesy spoilers for recent episodes anyway and that this was presented as one. I stay out of this thread for weeks at a time because I watch them two episodes at a time. I took those exact precautions. If you still don't see the problem with Desi's post, you are blind.

Yes, I watch the Red Wedding just before the season finale aired live and it was not spoiled for me specifically because I took those exact precautions. I then came here to catch up and saw Desi's BOOK spoiler that could have used a better warning.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If the books did not exist... what use would the spoiler tag have? Likely to discuss the most recent events in the series. The guy has a valid point, but I know of no easy solutions.

Only so many would follow a code of conduct to label their spoilers. You'd still get burned mousing over some of them.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
You completely missed the point. Did you even read? I have seen every episode produced and released. The issue is that a huge spoiler from the book was presented as one from the "latest episodes" and that's why it completely failed to do the duty of a spoiler tag.

Have you looked at any of the recent spoilers?

The majority of them are dealing with the books because the season is over and even then most people know spoilers in these thread deal with more about the books as there are no spoilers about episodes needed unless you are not watching the most recent episode.

Just stop viewing spoilers if it bothers you.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
If the books did not exist... what use would the spoiler tag have? Likely to discuss the most recent events in the series. The guy has a valid point, but I know of no easy solutions.

Only so many would follow a code of conduct to label their spoilers. You'd still get burned mousing over some of them.

Well to be fair it's one thing if they do something weird and show a early episode for a special select group but another to talk about the current episode and honestly spoilers should not be used for anything current that anyone can see.

Too many people spam them thinking they are needed when they are usually not except to talk about the book like many are here yet some people think it's something completely new.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Quit talking about spoilers from the show because that's not what this is about and you are only further proving that you can't/don't read.

Considering people have been talking about that persons death in spoilers for a few weeks easily just avoid reading any spoilers if you don't know what's going to come up in the books.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
The only thing in here that should be marked as spoilers are details from the books that haven't yet been covered in the show. However, there's no real way to know if a spoiler has been covered by the show yet or not so if you haven't read all the books then just avoid everything marked as a spoiler. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Have you looked at any of the recent spoilers?

The majority of them are dealing with the books because the season is over and even then most people know spoilers in these thread deal with more about the books as there are no spoilers about episodes needed unless you are not watching the most recent episode.

Just stop viewing spoilers if it bothers you.

Yes, most people know that, including myself, which is why I don't just read any spoiler. In case you haven't realized, the whole issue is that this one was presented in a way that nearly anyone who has seen the entire series will think it is a courtesy spoiler for season 3 events that is safe to read for anyone who has seen seasons 1-3. We always delay 1 episode to watch two at a time here, yet I had no clue about the Red Wedding until just before I watched it followed by the season finale as it aired live. That's because I did exactly as I should have and stayed away from this thread, only returning after I had caught up. After watching both and completely catching up with the series, why would I have any issue reading Desi's post that seems to be only a courtesy spoiler about season 3?

I'm not complaining about all the book spoilers. I'm complaining about THAT SPECIFIC spoiler. I'm aware that the situation caused by the two discussions (books and show) will cause this to potentially be an ongoing problem, so I suggest that we label them appropriately when necessary. I'm not complaining about other book spoilers not being labeled as such. It's only the ones that appear to be courtesy show spoilers that I am frustrated with.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I know the books aren't written yet, but this has to end with Stannis on the Iron Throne, and Kahleesi controlling the islands to the east, right? Tywin is going to be killed, Jaime has no interest in war later in the books, Rob's dead, Renly's dead, Ned Stark is dead, Cercei is going to be in dire straights, Joffrey's going to be dead. Who's left? I figure the Kahleesi ends up too bogged down with obligations over in her part of the world and feels an obligation to stay and rule over there, leaving no one to challenge Stannis.

assuming she stays alive, I have to assume that "endgame" is Daenerys and her dragons coming to Westeros to fight the forces beyond the wall.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The only thing in here that should be marked as spoilers are details from the books that haven't yet been covered in the show. However, there's no real way to know if a spoiler has been covered by the show yet or not so if you haven't read all the books then just avoid everything marked as a spoiler. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Except that people keep giving courtesy spoilers for the show anyway and I have no control over them doing so. When wrongly I think I can tell by the context (see Desi's post) and see a spoiler I don't want anyway, I can complain about the misconstrued context. That's not a hard concept to grasp, is it? You can't possibly think that I'm the only one who has seen the entire series and would see that thinking it's a series finale spoiler, could you?

If you can't see why Desi's post needs to be edited, then I can't help you.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Yes, most people know that, including myself, which is why I don't just read any spoiler.

It's only the ones that appear to be courtesy show spoilers that I am frustrated with.

Sounds to me like you broke your own rule.

You can't have both kinds and not expect to run into one kind when you only want the other so just stop reading them at all or it's your own fault.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Just guessing:

The north unites under one faction, maybe Jon Snow coalesces what's left of the Stark bannermen, the Night's Watch and the Wildings.

The south unites under one faction, God only knows who. That whole situation is more of a mess than anywhere else.

They start to fight.

Daenerys lands her forces.

The Westeros factions unite to face off against Daenerys and her dragons.

The forces from beyond the wall break through and threaten the entire continent.

The Westeros groups unite with Daenerys to rid the world of The Others (and whatever else might be up there) once and for all so that whichever group of humans wins at least they have a world to rule.

The humans win and nobody has enough of an army left to do jack on their own, so they get together and Jon Snow marries the Khaleesi and rule jointly.

I think ultimately Tyrion and Arya are going to be major players in the end game, but behind the scenes. Tyrion as an advisor to Danny and Arya assassinating a couple of the key players left in Westeros to simplify things there and allow Jon Snow to win. Then Tyrion would broker the deal to unite Jon and Daenerys.

Or maybe not a single word of that is even close to being right.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Tyrion and Littlefinger really just need to go gay and stage a coup; other than Tywin, they really seem like the only competent people in the kingdom.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Tyrion and Littlefinger really just need to go gay and stage a coup; other than Tywin, they really seem like the only competent people in the kingdom.

Put them together with Olenna Tyrell and you might have something. But none of them can lead, or at least they are smart enough to not try. They're only going to be effective as puppetmasters, they need pawns to push around.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Just guessing:

The north unites under one faction, maybe Jon Snow coalesces what's left of the Stark bannermen, the Night's Watch and the Wildings.

The south unites under one faction, God only knows who. That whole situation is more of a mess than anywhere else.

They start to fight.

Daenerys lands her forces.

The Westeros factions unite to face off against Daenerys and her dragons.

The forces from beyond the wall break through and threaten the entire continent.

The Westeros groups unite with Daenerys to rid the world of The Others (and whatever else might be up there) once and for all so that whichever group of humans wins at least they have a world to rule.

The humans win and nobody has enough of an army left to do jack on their own, so they get together and Jon Snow marries the Khaleesi and rule jointly.

I think ultimately Tyrion and Arya are going to be major players in the end game, but behind the scenes. Tyrion as an advisor to Danny and Arya assassinating a couple of the key players left in Westeros to simplify things there and allow Jon Snow to win. Then Tyrion would broker the deal to unite Jon and Daenerys.

Or maybe not a single word of that is even close to being right.

You don't believe Aegon VI will have any impact? He has the backing Varys, a master puppeteer.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Sounds to me like you broke your own rule.

You can't have both kinds and not expect to run into one kind when you only want the other so just stop reading them at all or it's your own fault.
Saying "I don't just read any spoiler" is like saying "I don't just date any girl."

Reading a spoiler is not breaking that "rule."

Are you seriously saying that there is nothing wrong with DesiPower's post and that no one but me will think it's a season 3 spoiler the way it was presented?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Are you seriously saying that there is nothing wrong with DesiPower's post and that no one but me will think it's a season 3 spoiler the way it was presented?

There is no such thing as a season 3 spoiler now because when it was posted season 3 was over.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Saying "I don't just read any spoiler" is like saying "I don't just date any girl."

Reading a spoiler is not breaking that "rule."

Stop whining, you stupid fucking baby. If you care so much about spoilers GTFO!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
You don't believe Aegon VI will have any impact? He has the backing Varys, a master puppeteer.

Well he's currently traveling to meet up with Daenerys, that much we know. His motivations are not clear and even less clear is Danny's reception should he arrive. He's technically got a better claim to the throne, so that's a double edged sword. Does she make nice with him to get his army or does she eliminate him as a rival? At this stage her forces are WAY bigger than his and she could grind him into dust.

So either they unite with her maintaining control of the relationship by virtue of the dragons and her bigger army or he's dead. If they unite she owns his ass and he's expendable somewhere down the road after they've used his ships to get to Westeros and after she's assimilated his forces into hers. Just looking at the big picture I think she'll need to ally with somebody on Westeros somewhere along the line and Aegon would be in the way of that, so his life expectancy might not be all that high.

The $64K question is whether Varys is REALLY backing Aegon or whether he's playing a different game we don't see yet. Could he be there to kill Danny, to steal the dragons or just as a ruse to help unite Westeros by allowing Varys to point to a now more powerful enemy and say that Westeros needs to take care of THAT first before wiping everyone out in a civil war?

Or hell, maybe he becomes a 4th major player and Tyrion sides with him and becomes his adviser. I still keep expecting GRRM to reduce the pieces on the chessboard so the endgame can start, he's got two books left and a lot of balls still in the air. It's hard to believe that he could spin Aegon off as an entirely new faction opposed to Daenerys and the Westeros groups. That doesn't mean that it won't happen. Instead of making things more clear and setting up the final showdowns he keeps introducing more characters and more storylines. It wouldn't be impossible to believe he's got something bigger planned for Aegon than being a small part in somebody else's plan.

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I haven't read the books, but people who have said the show changed the bid geal about killing a guest after the 'salt ceremony'.

But in the last episode, I think they replaced that with the story about how killing a king's son and feeding the son to the king wasn't a problem, but killing a guest was.

Frey has clearly been put in a position fer a lot of revenge next season.

Nope that was in the books too.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Well he's currently traveling to meet up with Daenerys, that much we know. His motivations are not clear and even less clear is Danny's reception should he arrive. He's technically got a better claim to the throne, so that's a double edged sword. Does she make nice with him to get his army or does she eliminate him as a rival? At this stage her forces are WAY bigger than his and she could grind him into dust.

So either they unite with her maintaining control of the relationship by virtue of the dragons and her bigger army or he's dead. If they unite she owns his ass and he's expendable somewhere down the road after they've used his ships to get to Westeros and after she's assimilated his forces into hers. Just looking at the big picture I think she'll need to ally with somebody on Westeros somewhere along the line and Aegon would be in the way of that, so his life expectancy might not be all that high.

The $64K question is whether Varys is REALLY backing Aegon or whether he's playing a different game we don't see yet. Could he be there to kill Danny, to steal the dragons or just as a ruse to help unite Westeros by allowing Varys to point to a now more powerful enemy and say that Westeros needs to take care of THAT first before wiping everyone out in a civil war?

Or hell, maybe he becomes a 4th major player and Tyrion sides with him and becomes his adviser. I still keep expecting GRRM to reduce the pieces on the chessboard so the endgame can start, he's got two books left and a lot of balls still in the air. It's hard to believe that he could spin Aegon off as an entirely new faction opposed to Daenerys and the Westeros groups. That doesn't mean that it won't happen. Instead of making things more clear and setting up the final showdowns he keeps introducing more characters and more storylines. It wouldn't be impossible to believe he's got something bigger planned for Aegon than being a small part in somebody else's plan.
Do not read unless you have read A Dance With Dragons
Don't forget the Greyjoys. Euron has a horn that can control dragons, Victarion a red priest and a fleet, and Asha and Theon are 'guests' of Stannis so you never know how that will turn out.