Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 141 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I think it is so we don't forget his character and a way to keep the actor. Would be tough to go what would amount to 4 or 5 years(2 seasons per book) until we see him again even though he is alive. As an actor, he may not be around that long without a job.

People forgetting or even being forced to change actors would actually fit the book better IMO.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
This season has been a Game of Snores, you book people were saying how things were going to pick up compared to last season but with 3 episodes left I don't see it. So now what, look forward to the wedding? There's no (apparent) grand lead-up like the first 2 seasons had.

See below. I also got about 2/3rds through or so with Storm of Swords, then couldn't put it down until down. Pulled a near all nighter finishing it off. Then I had to wait another 2 years for the snoozefest that was A Feast for the Crows, another 5 for Dance with Dragons. :p

the season will pick up drastically. I remember this in the books. At one point, I got to a chapter, and had to just keep reading because it got insane. I remember staying up way too late reading just because I couldn't wait to read the next chapter. We are almost to that point in the show.

You also have to remember this is 1 book split into 2 seasons. Being 7 episodes in, we are only about a third of the way into the books. I think it was somewhat a mistake to expand it this much.

And that does throw off the pacing for the show. In the book, you know you're still in Martin's set up phase, in the TV series, you expect a payoff at the end of each season. Season 3 could well end with RW.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Holy crap this show is getting boring.

As a casual viewer (which is majority), it's just too boring.

-Sansa can't act.

-WTF happened to the clever, 'one-step-ahead' Tyrion from season 1? Even he's become a bumbling bore.

-Tyrion's whore's acting was so so terribly bad. She's just READING the lines. Made me cringe.

-Too many stories spread too thin. I understand they have no choice, but it's just not enough developments. I feel like they're constantly just trying to catch up to the book.

This is why S1 was amazing. It was focused, full of thrilling drama, and entertaining at the end of the day.

Last edited:

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
See below. I also got about 2/3rds through or so with Storm of Swords, then couldn't put it down until down. Pulled a near all nighter finishing it off. Then I had to wait another 2 years for the snoozefest that was A Feast for the Crows, another 5 for Dance with Dragons. :p

And that does throw off the pacing for the show. In the book, you know you're still in Martin's set up phase, in the TV series, you expect a payoff at the end of each season. Season 3 could well end with RW.

I'm starting to think it will end with the RW also, with season 4 starting out with a bang with the other wedding. The only problem with this would be Mel and her 3 leaches with having to wait another year to come true. When in the books it really is bang bang bang.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'm starting to think it will end with the RW also, with season 4 starting out with a bang with the other wedding. The only problem with this would be Mel and her 3 leaches with having to wait another year to come true. When in the books it really is bang bang bang.

Dance ends with a few cliffhangers too. :( Dany and Drogo being discovered by a rival Khal, Raegal and Viserion free in Meereen, Jon Snow being stabbed by Bowen Marsh and others in the Watch, Stannis' army bogged down marching to Winterfell and dying, Aemon VI invading Westeros, Victarion Greyjoy sailing to 'marry' Dany, etc. I recall Martin saying in an interview that Winds of Winter will start with a bang, but it'll be another 1500 page manuscript.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
-WTF happened to the clever, 'one-step-ahead' Tyrion from season 1? Even he's become a bumbling bore.

His father came into town. It looks like he finds his spine at his wedding according to the preview, I hope anyway.

-Too many stories spread too thin. I understand they have no choice, but it's just not enough developments. I feel like they're constantly just trying to catch up to the book.

I think they spread it out too much at times for no reason. An example of this from tonights episode is the scene with Bran and Osha. There is NO reason not to resolve their conflict at the end of that scene. It would take 1 or 2 minutes to finish it. It is a pointless "cliffhanger". Bran is deadset on finding the raven, Osha is deadset on not going north of the wall. There is only one solution.

Last edited:

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
For those complaining about the show who haven't read the books rest assured it's much worse for those of us who have read the books. This season is probably going to end in a crazy way so don't worry.

The problem you have is that they are trying to cut out certain characters, substitute others, develop characters in ways that are not developed in the book, and I imagine that someone thinks this makes sense but for most people I think the answer is just "read the books". I was on a beach in Africa with 4 other random people and we all had lounge chairs and by happenstance pulled out the same book. It's that good! None of us could put it down. The show is better than last season at least.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
For those complaining about the show who haven't read the books rest assured it's much worse for those of us who have read the books. This season is probably going to end in a crazy way so don't worry.

The small changes they've been making over the past seasons are going to start snowballing soon too. Hopefully, Martin has an active hand in guiding it though.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
the season will pick up drastically. I remember this in the books. At one point, I got to a chapter, and had to just keep reading because it got insane. I remember staying up way too late reading just because I couldn't wait to read the next chapter. We are almost to that point in the show.

You also have to remember this is 1 book split into 2 seasons. Being 7 episodes in, we are only about a third of the way into the books. I think it was somewhat a mistake to expand it this much.

But on the other hand, the books are just as much about character development and decisions as actual war/action. If not more so just about characters. The show is a game of thrones, so it is not as much about the endgame event like lord of the rings or something.

To me, some of the best scenes are the dialog from certain people, like Tywin and Tyrion especially.

I don't care about the books,. Right now the show is boring. I used my FF dvr button a lot.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I don't care about the books,. Right now the show is boring. I used my FF dvr button a lot.

I have to disagree. It's not all action, it's a lot of story building. I like it. I just wish there was more time each episode. We get so little of the story for each character. It feels rushed.

Mar 10, 2005
the 1st half of that episode stunk, but the 2nd was solid. the highlights were definitely tyrion in the throne room, and "what the fuck are you doing to my bear?!"

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
One thing I've noticed that some of you might want to pay attention to is that they are purposefully doing some reminding in the before episode preview or whatever you want to call it. If you're like me you're going to forget the back story of some of these characters but it's going to be important later on so pay attention.

Also, now that we're getting closer to it happening:
Why did they really waste that time with that dialogue between Tywin and Arya in the show? That character development makes no sense now at all and didn't even accurately reflect his personality.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
One thing I've noticed that some of you might want to pay attention to is that they are purposefully doing some reminding in the before episode preview or whatever you want to call it. If you're like me you're going to forget the back story of some of these characters but it's going to be important later on so pay attention.

Also, now that we're getting closer to it happening:
Why did they really waste that time with that dialogue between Tywin and Arya in the show? That character development makes no sense now at all and didn't even accurately reflect his personality.

If I remember correctly it was because they needed to fit an extended period of her being his cupbearer into a short very spelled out viewing experience for TV. If I remember the books correctly that is. not sure why you have a spoiler tag that already happened in the show.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
If I remember correctly it was because they needed to fit an extended period of her being his cupbearer into a short very spelled out viewing experience for TV. If I remember the books correctly that is. not sure why you have a spoiler tag that already happened in the show.

I was getting at
him being killed and it being completely unnecessary character development. That never happened in the books. She was a mouse working around the kitchens and not a cup bearer for Tywin. Did she ever even see him in the books?

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
Maybe I phrased it way too softly - the entire point of my post was that the RW was likely not preconceived as Robb marrying Jeyne to get the Frey's to turn on the Starks, but rather an opportunity that Tywin used to help finish off the War of the Five Kings after the marriage occurred. Anything else at this point is a theory - I don't think there is enough evidence to say otherwise, though the Maggy the Frog connection is at least curious. I've read those theories on that forum BTW :p
This wiki made it easier for me to search for the text I was looking for. WARNING : please don't go there if you are worried about spoilers; that whole site is a big huge spoiler.
As the text on that page shows, there was an arrangement between Tywin and Jeyne's mother before the RW, that was not disclosed even to her son or daughter. I can't imagine what other arrangement Tywin would make with the mom, other than ask her to pimp her daughter to Robb, because the mom has no control on anything else in the scenario. And the only purpose of the pimping would be to put a spanner into Robb's alliance with the Freys. The plotting is also indicated by the fact that a lot of effort was put into ensuring Jeyne doesn't get pregnant (to avoid an heir to Robb).
At this point I should note that this is one of the reasons I find the TV series pales in comparison with the books - limited scope to supply background detail ; and gratuitous character-swaps just don't add anything of value. But I guess you work with the medium you have.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
This season has been a Game of Snores, you book people were saying how things were going to pick up compared to last season but with 3 episodes left I don't see it. So now what, look forward to the wedding? There's no (apparent) grand lead-up like the first 2 seasons had.

i agree. Everyone has said that the 3rd book is non-stop action. But this season has been anything but (even though it's only half of 3rd book)

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
This wiki made it easier for me to search for the text I was looking for. WARNING : please don't go there if you are worried about spoilers; that whole site is a big huge spoiler.
As the text on that page shows, there was an arrangement between Tywin and Jeyne's mother before the RW, that was not disclosed even to her son or daughter. I can't imagine what other arrangement Tywin would make with the mom, other than ask her to pimp her daughter to Robb, because the mom has no control on anything else in the scenario. And the only purpose of the pimping would be to put a spanner into Robb's alliance with the Freys. The plotting is also indicated by the fact that a lot of effort was put into ensuring Jeyne doesn't get pregnant (to avoid an heir to Robb).
At this point I should note that this is one of the reasons I find the TV series pales in comparison with the books - limited scope to supply background detail ; and gratuitous character-swaps just don't add anything of value. But I guess you work with the medium you have.

Yeah, that doesn't contradict what I said. Jeyne's mother was clearly in on the RW, wasn't refuting that. I'm just saying there was no proof it was planned until after Robb met - or married - Jeyne. It's more probable that Tywin seized on the fact Robb broke his vows to the Freys and conspired with the mom than it is to think Tywin plotted with her before Robb attacked the Crag - which was a surprise attack.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I was getting at
him being killed and it being completely unnecessary character development. That never happened in the books. She was a mouse working around the kitchens and not a cup bearer for Tywin. Did she ever even see him in the books?

No, Arya never saw Tywin in the books. She cupheld for Roose Bolton.

In addition to the character development, my theory:
They needed to establish that there were spies within Robb's ranks detailing troop movements and whatnot, reporting back to Tywin. I know one outright traitor already from the books, but suspect the Talisa character could turn out to be one as well...she's always sending off letters...

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Same here, the 4th book clearly wasn't up to the previous books. I hated the allusion to the killing at the river which I didn't quite get until later while browsing the wiki. And the lousy prologue-ending thing.
I can only hope the much thicker Dragons is not going to be worse.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
This season has been brutal. There's only 3 episodes left so it needs to pick up DRASTICALLY, I know people say it picks up, but it pretty much has to happen next episode or there's not enough time left to fit in anything resembling cogent scenes. The only vaguely interesting story lines I feel like are Jaime's and Arya's. The rest is just whining, or people spinning their wheels. The crap with Theon getting tortured...that was played out about 3 episodes ago, and it's STILL happening. Even the stuff with Dany is getting old, here I'll write a scene for her:

1. Dany sees downtrodden people and decides to try helping them by doing something that makes no sense
2. Her advisers caution against it.
3. Some people underestimate her.
4. She seems to go through with it...but then DRAGONS! The day is saved and it was all a clever ruse by her.
5. She talks about being the mother of dragons.
6. The plot does not move forward at all.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
This season has been brutal. There's only 3 episodes left so it needs to pick up DRASTICALLY,.....

Well not that drastically, since season 3 will only be part of book 3 SOS. So season 4 will be the leftover of SOS going forward.

The producers are going to stretch this money maker into as many seasons as they can.