Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The thing I was disappointed with this episode was when the Dothraki were riding into their city there was no statues along the road. :(

In the books there were dozens of them, each one from a city they had sacked and taken as a prize.

lol really? You're really upset about that...

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Also was it just me or when the actor that played Piggy scowled at people it looked like he was planning on murdering them and their families and everyone they knew?

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Also was it just me or when the actor that played Piggy scowled at people it looked like he was planning on murdering them and their families and everyone they knew?

the guy that played Samwell Tarley? I thought he did fine, I don't think it's easy to play a scared /paranoid without it coming off as cheesy or fake

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
the guy that played Samwell Tarley? I thought he did fine, I don't think it's easy to play a scared /paranoid without it coming off as cheesy or fake

CRAAAVEEEN

don't read unless gone through 1/2 of book 3:

i hate reading his chapters its such a struggle and a downer. "waaa waaa waaa" he was tolerable from other people POV...but i suppose that means martin did a bang up job on him if i truly feel is craven; although to be honest to go through what he did you can't fully be craven. But GEEEZ, do soething more than slowly walk up with a dagger and hoping they walk into the dragon glass...

Lummex

Apr 6, 2008
I'm enjoying the show so far, but the last two haven't been as strong to me. Of course they don't match up to the books, but I'm just able to take them for what they are, and don't expect them to be as good as the books.

One thing I think they're doing really well is the scenes with Ned and his family.

Potential spoiler:
Especially for me and maybe others who have read the books, I find myself getting choked up at the sweet scenes he has with his wife and daughters. Knowing his fate, it really satisfies the closure I know I'll need for his character. These seem to be very adequate "goodbyes" in a sense, even though none of the characters know what's in store. Although, I felt there was a quality in Catelyn's goodbye scene with Ned that hinted they both knew they may not see each other again.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Episode 4 was still a little too much background stuff, but that's probably unavoidable at this point in the story. Still, it was definitely an improvement over episode 3. My main objection to this episode was the scene between Viserys and Doreah dragging on way too long. I realize they were trying to throw some dragon history in there (which more or less replaces a book part where Tyrion is reading about dragons), but it still could have been shorter - and really, who wants to watch Viserys? Now that a bunch of the setup has been taken care of, I'm hopeful that the action will kick in shortly.

I was really glad they kept Tyrion's line to Bran about him not being a dwarf. Very funny both onscreen and off.

Last edited:

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
I was really glad they kept Tyrion's line to Bran about him not being a dwarf. Very funny both onscreen and off.

Bran was it in? I think Bran was the guy at the inn who offered Tyrion his room, but the guy he is traveling with so far is Yoren or the Night's Watch.

Glayde

Sep 30, 2004
For some reason I remember Hodor being around the same age as the older Stark children.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I'm rapidly losing interest in this series, sad because I absolutely love the books.

I do want to see who they cast as the beauty though.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I'm rapidly losing interest in this series, sad because I absolutely love the books.

I do want to see who they cast as the beauty though.

At first I had no idea who you were talking about, until I remembered Brienne's nickname. I'm guessing that, much like Tyrion, she won't be quite as homely in the series as what is described in the book.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Holy moley Gregor was huge. Where did they find a guy that big? I feel pretty bad for that horse. Great scene with Littlefinger and Sansa (different than the book though). Also the scene with Thorne, Sam, and Jon was really well done I thought.

They finally give some Greyjoy background! About time.

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
Episode 4 was still a little too much background stuff, but that's probably unavoidable at this point in the story. Still, it was definitely an improvement over episode 3. My main objection to this episode was the scene between Viserys and Doreah dragging on way too long. I realize they were trying to throw some dragon history in there (which more or less replaces a book part where Tyrion is reading about dragons), but it still could have been shorter - and really, who wants to watch Viserys? Now that a bunch of the setup has been taken care of, I'm hopeful that the action will kick in shortly.

+1
Half way thru I was like, "are they repeating the same lines over and over again? He has dragon blood, we went over this already, I get it."
I am thoroughly enjoying the series. ! have never read the books but may start them solely from the way you guys talk about them.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Holy moley Gregor was huge. Where did they find a guy that big? I feel pretty bad for that horse. Great scene with Littlefinger and Sansa (different than the book though). Also the scene with Thorne, Sam, and Jon was really well done I thought.

They finally give some Greyjoy background! About time.

Conan Stevens is 7 feet tall, though The Mountain is supposed to be even bigger than that, over 7 and a half feet. Either way, he's big! And yeah, I noticed that Theon finally got some airtime too.

Very mild spoiler:
In a world full of morally gray characters, Gregor is the exception to the rule. He's just one evil badass. :)

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
+1
Half way thru I was like, "are they repeating the same lines over and over again? He has dragon blood, we went over this already, I get it."
I am thoroughly enjoying the series. ! have never read the books but may start them solely from the way you guys talk about them.

I definitely recommend checking them out, they have so much more depth than you can fit into a TV series (though HBO is giving it a good try).

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Isn't he Nan's grandson? I always figured he was around 40 or 50.

He is her great-grandson. I just looked back through the first book and there is no specification of his age at all, it's left up to interpretation. I suspect what got me thinking of him as young was that he's referred to as a stableboy, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The only description you get of Hodor at all is that he's muscular and nearly seven feet tall.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
I am reading the books parallel with watching the tv series.

I am loving it so far!

Tyrion is my fave character... hopefully he'll survive (no spoilers please :))

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I am reading the books parallel with watching the tv series.

I am loving it so far!

Tyrion is my fave character... hopefully he'll survive (no spoilers please :))

Well, Tyrion's story kind of goes downhill after he's abducted and forced to perform as a jester and dragon-tamer in the Dothraki circus.

OK, OK, maybe not. :D

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
He is her great-grandson. I just looked back through the first book and there is no specification of his age at all, it's left up to interpretation. I suspect what got me thinking of him as young was that he's referred to as a stableboy, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The only description you get of Hodor at all is that he's muscular and nearly seven feet tall.

Yeah considering how young they started spitting out children, he could be older still. If they all started having kids at 13-14. It doesn't really say though.