Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 116 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Good stuff. The dragons are excellent.

I wanted Dany to tell the army broker dude, "No need for an interpreter next time. I understand your language."

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Do you really think I believe you? I am not that stupid.

I am a expert on usenet.

Not too much of an expert, otherwise you would have seen episode 2 by now.

I can't believe they're making Sam bitch out like he is in the second episode!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I really hope HBO finishes this series to completion. There's been a few HBO's series that stopped mid way through and I was disappointed.

Carnivale, Deadwood (iirc), Bored to Death...probably more in there..

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I really hope HBO finishes this series to completion. There's been a few HBO's series that stopped mid way through and I was disappointed.

Carnivale, Deadwood (iirc), Bored to Death...probably more in there..

I fear they'll have to become very clever to adapt books 4 and 5 into good TV. Moreover, it means Martin would need to complete Book 6 and then allow the series to take over to be the first medium of Book 7. Imagine that - Martin would certainly be forced to write that last book after the series - just due to time constraints. That's if he even finishes Book 6 in time.

It'd be a very brave and generous thing, for HBO to be able to carry this series to completion. Let's not hold our breath with expectation.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
yeah, I have to think books 4 and 5 may just be combined for 3 seasons or so. No way they can do a TV show like they did the books, it has to be fully chronological for TV.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
The Umbrella Knight.
tumblr_mklc35CPnZ1qbe1v2o2_400.gif

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I was expecting where it ended last season to pick up and be epic but man what a letdown. I hope we see more of the stuff from North of the wall.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Was kind of a disappointing episode as it only had one pair of tits. ;)
and they weren't that great either, although the potential of future tits such as with that super hawt translator girl is titillating

It seems kinda odd they revealed who Selmy was so early and does this mean there will be no
Belwas
? :(
yeah, I was curious how they might handle that, granted, it works in the book because we can't see who all the characters are and are largely in the same position as the characters

I imagine they did it this way for a couple reasons

1. it is likely the average viewer completely forgot who he was and thus the whole reminder of the scene from season 1 that happened at the beginning of this episode, and thus the audience would know who it was

2. they did it to save time,
although the Selmy reveal in the books ultimately leads to a conflict that will obviously have to be handled differently now for the show

it makes me very curious as to how they'll handle Reek

That being said, the absence of Strong Belwas is unforgivable

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2...turing_spoilers_by_sir_heartsalot-d50i8a8.jpg

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Ugh I can't stress this enough. If you want a good story just stop watching and read the books. This first episode was terrible.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
That being said, the absence of Strong Belwas is unforgivable

He had a couple of funny moments, but the few important things he does, could be done by a number of other characters. With a 1,000+ characters in the books, Strong Belwas was one that could easily be cut.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
yeah, I have to think books 4 and 5 may just be combined for 3 seasons or so. No way they can do a TV show like they did the books, it has to be fully chronological for TV.

I think so too.

2 seasons for ASOS and 3 seasons for AFFC+ADWD. Gives GRRM 5 years to finish book 6, which will almost certainly happen.

I expect 2 seasons for TWOW if its going to be as large or larger than ASOS. So 7 years total for GRRM to start and complete book 7....and that assumes he sticks to 7 books. Given his pace of writing, there's no way GRRM isn't overtaken by the show.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I fear they'll have to become very clever to adapt books 4 and 5 into good TV. Moreover, it means Martin would need to complete Book 6 and then allow the series to take over to be the first medium of Book 7. Imagine that - Martin would certainly be forced to write that last book after the series - just due to time constraints. That's if he even finishes Book 6 in time.

It'd be a very brave and generous thing, for HBO to be able to carry this series to completion. Let's not hold our breath with expectation.

Expecting too much, I am.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
He had a couple of funny moments, but the few important things he does, could be done by a number of other characters. With a 1,000+ characters in the books, Strong Belwas was one that could easily be cut.

Strong Belwas shits upon you and your silly ideas! of course Strong Belwas can be easily cut, for he lets all of his victims cut him once before he kills them in order for there to be a scar to show how many people he has killed!

Last edited:

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I didn't like this Game of Thrones beginning.

Hopefully next episode is better. I found this one boring.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I didn't like this Game of Thrones beginning.

Hopefully next episode is better. I found this one boring.

It's a table setter. They had A LOT to explain and get laid out before getting into the meat of the book/season.

Not every episode can be filled with action and suspense and thrilling.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
It's a table setter. They had A LOT to explain and get laid out before getting into the meat of the book/season.

Not every episode can be filled with action and suspense and thrilling.

But typically season premieres and (finales) are supposed to be among the best episodes of a season.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
But typically season premieres and (finales) are supposed to be among the best episodes of a season.

People are impatient.
And, for what it's worth, I really liked the episode. I thought they handled many thing quite well and really set the table for future storylines.

If they jumped right into stuff, there'd be masses bitching about "I'm CONFUSED!!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!??!?"