Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
New cast members for season 3, which has already started filming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpSDSgChsaI

Diana Rigg as Lady Olenna Tyrell
Mackenzie Crook as Orell
Clive Russell as Bryndon “The Blackfish” Tully
Nathalie Emannuel as Missandei
Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon
Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr
Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Jojen Reed
Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed
Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion
Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane
Philip McGinley as Anguy
Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse Baratheon
Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully
Anton Lesser as Qyburn

Pretty good! I read the books first, and kind of created how the characters would look in my head..and when I watched the series I was not dissappointed..the series actually got the characters look better than what I had imagined. Varys especially.

With one exception..Melisandre was horrible chosen..I'm sure this has been discussed.

Along these lines, Jojen pretty much looks like a perfect pick.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Beric Dondarrion
Beric Dondarrion
Beric Dondarrion
Beric Dondarrion
Beric Dondarrion
Beric Dondarrion
Beric Dondarrion

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
So WTF is the deal with Book 5 (A Dance with Dragons?)

I had it on my Amazon wish list (in paperback) to finish my current collection. It was supposed to come out in August and so I went ahead and threw it in my last Amazon order for free shipping.

I just got an email saying it won't be released until March 2013?

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Hmm, that is disappointing news. I am 2/3rds through book 4. I've bought all the paperbacks so far, but I'm not interested in spending more for a hardcover. I guess I'll have to grab book 5 from the library when I am ready for it.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
OK I am not so far along. Reading it and in book 2 now. Great book(s) but has anybody yet addressed the absurdity of thinking that carrier ravens can be taken out by archers? How many fvcking archers are you going to need shotgunning their arrows into the sky to have a reasonable chance of taking out a bird when you have no idea when it's going to be launched and you're sitting around a castle? They can't let the bird out barely at sunrise, for example?

That just bothers me. Anyway, off now to keep reading.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
OK I am not so far along. Reading it and in book 2 now. Great book(s) but has anybody yet addressed the absurdity of thinking that carrier ravens can be taken out by archers? How many fvcking archers are you going to need shotgunning their arrows into the sky to have a reasonable chance of taking out a bird when you have no idea when it's going to be launched and you're sitting around a castle? They can't let the bird out barely at sunrise, for example?

Superhuman bow markmanship is common to many fantasy universes.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

I knew a guy that would let you toss an aspirin in the air and he'd hit it with an arrow. Also there are many others out there that can knock birds out of the air...they really are that good. Some of them use different arrows that have wider areas of coverage (almost looks like a whisk stirrer on the end) to easier hit a bird.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Some of them use different arrows that have wider areas of coverage (almost looks like a whisk stirrer on the end) to easier hit a bird.

Some bird arrows are blunt. Turkey arrows have very long blades that decapitate the bird.

I think it helps in their setting that they knew exactly where they were coming from, and the birds didn't have time to gather speed.

But it would take a very good archer.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

out of ALL the crazy crap in the book, you have a problem believing THAT?!

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999

You mean the ravens that magically know where to deliver the message to?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
out of ALL the crazy crap in the book, you have a problem believing THAT?!
Yeah because the rest is in a different world., but nobody has yet really demonstrated super-human feats.
You mean the ravens that magically know where to deliver the message to?
That doesn't bother me, as carrier birds are based in factual history, even though they use pigeons, not ravens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_pigeon

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Da fug? It's a fantasy series. Wait until you get latter into the books/series. Your mind will be blown/assplod. :biggrin:

This was more or less going to be my response.
But I will also add that the books and the TV series open with the White Walkers as well, so he should have already had his mind blown.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
McKaylaGoT.jpg

McKaytalisa.jpg

MCKay-osha-hodor.jpg