Game Exe's not working on SSD?

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
So i have this weird problem with some old games (games from 2004 ~ 2009).

Some of them wont work when installed on an SSD, they outright crash/stop working and only work when installed on a HDD.

Please note that most of these games have mods and modified exes

as you can see Here

Its Sins of a solar empire rebellion with LAA (Large Address Aware) modified exe to run mods and as you can see the exe just shows up as blank when installed on SSD but works fine when installed on HDD. The game wont run even when you try with the normal exe, it just crashes and stops responding.

This problem seems to be present with older games, not all of them but some of them. Any help regarding this issue is highly appreciated.

My system specs are
  • i7 8700
  • Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB
  • Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB
  • 32 GB (2 x 16) cas 15 3200 MHZ Crucial ram
  • Seagate barracuda 7200 RPM 64MB catch HDD
  • GTX 1080 Ti MSi Gaming X Trio

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
So i have this weird problem with some old games (games from 2004 ~ 2009). Some of them wont work when installed on an SSD, they outright crash/stop working and only work when installed on a HDD.

Are you sure it isn't a drive letter thing rather than the drive itself? Eg, I still have Lemmings 2 (old DOS game). It "needs" to be on the SSD purely because the SSD is C:\ drive. It fails on the HDD simply because the HDD is the D:\ drive. It's unusual for a 2009 game to want to do that, but maybe the game is hard-wired to a certain drive letter or there's some pre-existing registry entry related to install location?

The type of drive (SSD vs HDD) should be completely transparent to the game. LAA should make zero difference. If you're using WinRAR, make sure "file types to exclude from extracting" is unticked in the Options -> Settings -> Security tab (it blocks extraction of .exe's if ticked). Just throwing ideas out there.