Game developers are adopting DirectX 10.1

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Good news to ati users...

AMD has announced support for three new games. The graphics cards will be used in EA Phenomic Studio?s game Battleforge, Sega?s Stormrise, and NHN Games? Cloud 9. All three of the games will be using DirectX 10.1. The games that are expected to use the cards and Direct 10.1 together range from strategy games, to a sci-fi title.

Computers need to be using Windows Vista in order to take full advantage of DirectX 10.1, but DirectX is compliant with AMD?s 3000 and 4800 series cards. According to the companies public statement ?Only AMD graphics offer top-to-bottom DirectX 10.1 support?.

This Ping Pong Demonstration can give you a good look at what sorts of new features you can expect from the new games. The demo ?shows off a new lighting technique known as real-time global illumination, together with a scalable physics simulation optimized for multi-core systems.?

Ping Pong 10.1 Demo

Source

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good to hear the DX10.1 titles are going to start rolling out. It will be interesting to see visual/speed comparisons between DX10.1 and DX10.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Congratulations, Aberforth. You're the 5,000th person to post a link to that tired, old video. Hopefuuly, the games actually have something worth seeing in them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: myocardia
Congratulations, Aberforth. You're the 5,000th person to post a link to that tired, old video. Hopefuuly, the games actually have something worth seeing in them, but I'm not holding my breath.

thnx :D - but that isn't a video...its a tech demo.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
AMD has announced support for three new games. The graphics cards will be used in EA Phenomic Studio?s game Battleforge, Sega?s Stormrise, and NHN Games? Cloud 9. All three of the games will be using DirectX 10.1. The games that are expected to use the cards and Direct 10.1 together range from strategy games, to a sci-fi title.

this looks suspiciously like a PhysX announcement about "new games"

*when* are these games coming?
- next month - when it MATTERS - or in 2 years when we have DX11
:confused:

here is the *source*

http://pc.ign.com/articles/902...25_134800&RSSid=902591
August 25, 2008 - Graphics card manufacturer AMD is going to support EA Phenomic Studio's real-time strategy game Battleforge, Sega's sci-fi RTS Stormrise, and NHN Games' RPG Cloud 9 with DirectX 10.1, the latest application programming interface.

"Going to support DX10.1" looks like 2010
- anyone have any real info?

EDIT: i do

http://pc.ign.com/articles/870...29_104600&RSSid=870348

BattleForge is set for a Fall 2008 release

So SOON .. :cool:

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: apoppin

this looks suspiciously like a PhysX announcement about "new games"

*when* are these games coming?
- next month - when it MATTERS - or in 2 years when we have DX11
:confused:

here is the *source*

http://pc.ign.com/articles/902...25_134800&RSSid=902591
August 25, 2008 - Graphics card manufacturer AMD is going to support EA Phenomic Studio's real-time strategy game Battleforge, Sega's sci-fi RTS Stormrise, and NHN Games' RPG Cloud 9 with DirectX 10.1, the latest application programming interface.

"Going to support DX10.1" looks like 2010
- anyone have any real info?
:roll:

Yes, but I doubt we will see DX 11 games in just two years. Because even though it is built upon DX 10 architecture it still has a wide learning curve.

There will be at least one 10.1 game this year because sega had announced it last dec or Jan 08.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Yes, but I doubt we will see DX 11 games in just two years. Because even though it is built upon DX 10 architecture it still has a wide learning curve.

There will be at least one 10.1 game this year because sega had announced it last dec or Jan 08.
i edited my post .. DX10.1 is this fall for BattleForge :p

and because of premade engines, games are only 1-2 years from start to gold instead of the previous 3-5; unless the devs use their own - or it is extremely complicated
... so if DX11 is released in 2010, the very first [patched in DX11 games] will likely be 2011; 2012 sees mainstream [projecting it]

Just like DX10 and the early releases were within a year of Vista. With Crysis, we see DX10 included early [mostly] from the ground up [it was DX9/DX10; i guess Alan Wake will be out next year]; Vista was released in January 07 .. this is August 08; so we can expect similar with DX11.

times they are a changin'
:music:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Aberforth
Originally posted by: myocardia

God, you two need to get a room or something. :disgust:

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

LOL and people complain about the lack of PhysX games.

A ping pong demo :laugh:

I almost shot coffee out my nose.

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Wreckage

LOL and people complain about the lack of PhysX games.

A ping pong demo :laugh:

I almost shot coffee out my nose.

That demo is intended to highlight dx10.1 features. If you have a Geforce card you have no chance of running it.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
BattleForge looks soo good!!!

dx10.1 POWER!!!! hehehe!!!....

Can't wait to test this game with my RV670. :)

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Not impressed with the demo.
3000 spheres ? Thats it ? Supposed to be amazed by 48000 polygons ?
Come back when that this in the millions.

I do hope the games do well though. If they don't they will probably blame it on piracy anyway and not that there aren't that many 10.1 capable pc out there.

Jingato

Jan 18, 2006
I was under the impression that the only difference between DX10 and DX10.1 was that it made certain optional features mandatory. If that's the case than wouldn't any DX10 card be able to play a DX10.1 game exactly the same....including that ping pong thing......Someone please fill me in :)

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Jingato
I was under the impression that the only difference between DX10 and DX10.1 was that it made certain optional features mandatory. If that's the case than wouldn't any DX10 card be able to play a DX10.1 game exactly the same....including that ping pong thing......Someone please fill me in :)

No, dx10.1 adds new features like cubic array mapping, better performance with AA, improved image quality and lightning effects.

http://ati.amd.com/developer/gdc/2008/DirectX10.1.pdf

Jingato

Jan 18, 2006
So why is Nvidia still using DX10? But I guess that's a whole nother topic..lol I'm going to be buying a new video card in the coming months. Should DX10.1 be a deciding factor?

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
So why is Nvidia still using DX10? But I guess that's a whole nother topic..lol I'm going to be buying a new video card in the coming months. Should DX10.1 be a deciding factor?

Yes, as you can see there will be dx 10.1 games in the coming months but I also think you should look at the price : performance. Radeon 4870X2 is the fastest and they are improving the crossfire support and you can also get a 4870 512 mb for 250 bucks - it is the fastest mid-range card available today with dx 10.1 support.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Absolutely, Not! imo

For 3 or 4 games? a little eyecandy and *maybe* better performance?

it is the same thing with PhysX ..

unless the games you are playing have that feature and it is a "must have" for you, price and performance in the games you play should be the deciding factor - not "marketing" advantages

and in the "coming months" we will also see the transition to 55nm by Nvidia; that will bring our new cards and price pressure the current cards bringing in new options
rose.gif

right now 4850 sits as undesputed bang-for-buck in its price range but the situation is currently unclear regarding the performance of the 260 vs the 4870; and a new 260+ is out shortly - before the transition to 55nm.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
By The time DX10.1 becomes a real factor we will probably be on DX11 anyways. I wouldnt base a card decision around DX10.1 Buy a card based on the games you plan to play and the value\cost ratio.

I grabbed a 4850 a month ago because it fit my value\cost ratio the best. Not because it will play DX10.1 games in that mode.