Galveston, Texas: Photo Catches Mounted Police Leading Black Man By a Rope

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Those boys look really proud at getting to cosplay old-timey slave catchers. I'm sure it's the highlight of their awful lives.

Keep creating that racism and division where there was none. I have seen this exact same thing in the past happen with mounted police.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Keep creating that racism and division where there was none. I have seen this exact same thing in the past happen with mounted police.
Hollow words. You don't think George Wallace was racist.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I have not lied. And I did see this happen. This is yet another case of those that want to be victims, those that need something to whine about, those that must create racism for the sake of creating racism fulfilling their destiny.

1. I've never seen a mounted cop in Vegas. Not sure what the point would even be. The only place with pedestrians is LV boulevard (or maybe Fremont), and a horse would either be crapping all over the sidewalk where tourists are walking or blocking the already awful traffic. So this sounds made up.

2. Surely even a racist could acknowledge that humiliating a mentally ill homeless black man by parading him down main street like a captured slave is absolutely the opposite of helpful for anyone.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
1. I've never seen a mounted cop in Vegas. Not sure what the point would even be. The only place with pedestrians is LV boulevard (or maybe Fremont), and a horse would either be crapping all over the sidewalk where tourists are walking or blocking the already awful traffic. So this sounds made up.

2. Surely even a racist could acknowledge that humiliating a mentally ill homeless black man by parading him down main street like a captured slave is absolutely the opposite of helpful for anyone.
Vegas has seven horses and four officers in their mounted division, probably why you nor I haven't seen any there. I used to work in Vegas once or twice a year for over a decade.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Slow thinks it's fine

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Yea, they could have called a vehicle to transfer him, I agree. But, the fact that they didn't doesn't make this an act of racism, no matter how hard the racism-building left tries to make it so.
<=-- Theme from the Twi light zone plays in the back ground!!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

This would have been about ~12 year ago. I saw something very, very similar with my own two eyes off of Fremont St ( was staying at the Golden Nugget). There were live bands, street art, etc. etc. and cops on horseback, they had a guy tethered and walking away from a crowd of people with him.

I understand that this isn't a great look, but only because those that want to see racism everywhere they look will see it here. If the police in the picture are indeed racists looking to belittle the man simply for the color of his skin, I am right there with you all in being appalled. But, I'm not going to invent it because two cops detained someone and used rope so he couldn't get away and a vehicle wasn't available right away. That's just racists creating racism at this point.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
"In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread." - Anatole France

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
This would have been about ~12 year ago. I saw something very, very similar with my own two eyes off of Fremont St ( was staying at the Golden Nugget). There were live bands, street art, etc. etc. and cops on horseback, they had a guy tethered and walking away from a crowd of people with him.

I understand that this isn't a great look, but only because those that want to see racism everywhere they look will see it here. If the police in the picture are indeed racists looking to belittle the man simply for the color of his skin, I am right there with you all in being appalled. But, I'm not going to invent it because two cops detained someone and used rope so he couldn't get away and a vehicle wasn't available right away. That's just racists creating racism at this point.

Why are you so eager to downplay the possibility of racism so that you can accuse others of creating racism? How do you know that a vehicle wasn't available right away? Why would you rather 'invent' that, but disparage others for 'inventing' a similarly plausible motive? Why was it so important to get this suspect (whose crime was a minor misdemeanor) to the jail that they couldn't wait for a vehicle? How often do the Galveston police do this, and when was the last time they did it? And can you find a recent pic of mounted police doing the same to another suspect? Sorry, I'm not going to take your word on Vegas, because I know how little your word is worth.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why are you so eager to downplay the possibility of racism so that you can accuse others of creating racism? How do you know that a vehicle wasn't available right away? Why would you rather 'invent' that, but disparage others for 'inventing' a similarly plausible motive? Why was it so important to get this suspect (whose crime was a minor misdemeanor) to the jail that they couldn't wait for a vehicle? How often do the Galveston police do this, and when was the last time they did it? And can you find a recent pic of mounted police doing the same to another suspect? Sorry, I'm not going to take your word on Vegas, because I know how little your word is worth.

I'm eager not to create racism and division out of thin air. I give our police the benefit of the doubt over a law breaking mentally ill detainee. I know it is easy to play Monday morning arm chair police chief when we weren't part of the situation, but I assume they weren't acting out of racism until there is reason to believe otherwise. Show me racist tweets by the cops, show me a history of iffy behavior by these officers, give me something other than a picture that only is racist to those indoctrinated to by hypersensitive to racism and create it every chance they get.

I was in Vegas a while back (this was before my 12 year old was born) and saw a situation very, very similar to the story in the OP. I'm kind of surprised that some of you think that is such an impossible situation to have happened in the past.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm eager not to create racism and division out of thin air. I give our police the benefit of the doubt over a law breaking mentally ill detainee. I know it is easy to play Monday morning arm chair police chief when we weren't part of the situation, but I assume they weren't acting out of racism until there is reason to believe otherwise. Show me racist tweets by the cops, show me a history of iffy behavior by these officers, give me something other than a picture that only is racist to those indoctrinated to by hypersensitive to racism and create it every chance they get.

I was in Vegas a while back (this was before my 12 year old was born) and saw a situation very, very similar to the story in the OP. I'm kind of surprised that some of you think that is such an impossible situation to have happened in the past.

I would disagree with this police tactic even if the suspect had been white. Probably because I don't share your unquestioning loyalty to govt authority.

Now how about that pic?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I would disagree with this police tactic even if the suspect had been white. Probably because I don't share your unquestioning loyalty to govt authority.

Now how about that pic?

If they're not making him walk a ridiculous distance or at a fast pace, etc. etc., if they are just moving him to another location that is in a reasonable distance and he is of able body, I don't see the issue. But, racists see racism everywhere.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If they're not making him walk a ridiculous distance or at a fast pace, etc. etc., if they are just moving him to another location that is in a reasonable distance and he is of able body, I don't see the issue. But, racists see racism everywhere.
Did you somehow miss the part where I said, I would disagree with this police tactic even if the suspect had been white?

Now how about that pic?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You guys never look at the positive side. At least they didn't just shoot him! /s

Even though this is Texas, I do not think this was racially motivated, but yea..poor judgement is an understatement.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
People like you look at mass lynchings and say "No racism here. Nothing to see"

The fact of the matter is parading a black guy like a dog on a leash seems to me to violate both the equal protection clause of the constitution and probably the cruel and probably constitutes cruel and unusual punishment, with the emphasis on both cruelty and unusualness. Unless you can prove that this practice was at the time being applied broadly and he wasn't cherry picked because he was 1) black and 2 ) homeless for additional embarrassment, he probably has a strong case against the city that he civil rights were being defly violated.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
If some loud noise scares that horse... that man will be dragged to death. AKA tortured. THIS IS NOT OKAY.

No. I disagree with the practice, but he would not be dragged to death or tortured as the rope is being held by one hand of the officer. More likely he would be pulled from the horse or he would drop the rope.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
06xp-galveston1-superJumbo.jpg

Every picture tells a story, don't it? When I saw the headline for this, I thought the outrage would be because the Galveston police had a circa 1900s photo on the wall in their station. That would have been bad enough.

I'm just glad we live in a post racial paradise, with a President who leads the way.

Hey Billy Bob! Caught us another one tryin' to get to that thar Railroad Underground, or whatevea' theys call it.

If these assholes aren't fired, they need the Dallas Remedy.

If some female had been crazy enough to allow you to procreate, and this happened to your demon spawn, you would sing a totally different tune.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Hey Billy Bob! Caught us another one tryin' to get to that thar Railroad Underground, or whatevea' theys call it.

If these assholes aren't fired, they need the Dallas Remedy.

If some female had been crazy enough to allow you to procreate, and this happened to your demon spawn, you would sing a totally different tune.

What exactly is the "Dallas Remedy"?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The incident demonstrates a lack of sensitivity and poor judgement as the logistics of being mounted dictates that they have some type of restraint on a detainee. They should've waited for a transport at the scene rather than doing this. However, if they consistently only do this to certain members of the community then I would call it racism.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The incident demonstrates a lack of sensitivity and poor judgement as the logistics of being mounted dictates that they have some type of restraint on a detainee. They should've waited for a transport at the scene rather than doing this. However, if they consistently only do this to certain members of the community then I would call it racism.

Some eagle eyed local activists could probably snap up some good pics of these "mounted" officers in action on their daily routine when they engage with and arrest suspects. Build up a history of their action(s) to prove whether or not everyone gets the rope. Hell, the ACLU or other groups could award a "bounty" for keeping such records.