Galaxy Shows Off Dual-GPU GTX 470

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Didn't see a thread yet:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/26717/

Computex is full of surprises and
videocard maker Galaxy certainly has a big one. The company has shown off a dual-GPU GTX 470 card. Thats right folks, a dual-GPU card using two GF100 chips. The card is a monster at 12 inches long and it requires two 8 pin PCI-e connectors. You read that right, two 8 pin PCI-e connectors just to make this power hungry beast work. A single GTX 470 has a TDP of 215W so you can imagine that two of them will double that figure to 430W. However, the two 8 pin connectors only supply 150W each and then the PCI-e x16 slot supplies another 75W which brings the maximum yield to 375W. That does not sound like enough juice to make the card work but perhaps Galaxy has downclocked each GPU in order to consume less power which would be one of the only ways to make it work. The card only has 2GB of memory which is far less than the 2.56GB two GTX470s would use so perhaps the memory interface is only 256-bit to further reduce power usage. All in all though, this card is simply a prototype as NVIDIA has no plans for an official dual-GPU GF100-based card anytime soon.

12" long! Jesus I'd have to cut off the bottom of the 5.25" bay to get that to fit into a CM Scout.

It's a joke, that that I wouldn't stick that monster in such a small case to begin with :D

Last edited:

CitanUzuki

Jan 8, 2009
kyle says:

"You guys have seen Galaxy's dual 470 card and gotten excited about it, but I wanted to let you know not to expect it anytime soon.

It was DEMO ONLY card with no production in current consideration. In fact, NVIDIA is actually blocking the card from being made as it is not supplying all the software code for the chipsets to communicate between each other on a single board."

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
Galaxy showed off a GTX 480 with an onboard GT 240 for Physx.

I'm glad these guys don't make cars...they'd make a Ferrari V-12 front engined car with a VW I-4 TDI behind the rear seats.