Galaxy S8 & S8 Plus Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Bigger than the S7e's pack, of course. And besides, battery capacity ain't everything... an iPhone 7 Plus will definitely last longer on a charge than its Samsung counterpart despite the smaller power pack. Some of it is the 1080p screen, but some of it is also iOS' ridiculously good power efficiency.

I'd have to disagree with that. iPhones have amazing standby battery life for sure, but in my experience if you put both phones through a good amount of usage I find the iPhone dies first. I'm comparing the Plus to something like the 7 Edge. Not even factoring in that I always have Google Now doing its thing on my Android phones unlike on an iPhone.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd personally like a way to quickly temp-disable physical buttons (with a gesture or button press combo) while gaming/media, or handing off the phone to someone. It may even be possible, I've just never looked into it.

The game launcher thingy will let you do that. Second option down here...

087dd625099d60e14a38f951941eccb2.jpg

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
True, the downsides of buttons. For me, they're all things I've gotten used to and therefore worth it to me.

Nothing beats the double tap home for quick camera access to me- amazes me how well that works and I'm never the one missing a kid-photo op fiddling with my screen as opposed to the closest thing I know of to just point and shoot with a phone.

I'd personally like a way to quickly temp-disable physical buttons (with a gesture or button press combo) while gaming/media, or handing off the phone to someone. It may even be possible, I've just never looked into it.

I'm not sure how Samsung will handle it, but I've been dealing with soft keys on the nexus 6p for a while now and it's not bad. Instead of double tap home to open the camera, it's double tap the power button. Works great, even when locked (as I'm sure the Samsung does too)

Games maximize the screen and automatically close the soft buttons. If you want them back, you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen where the buttons usually are and they'll pop up again as an overlay. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The renders tie in with increasingly consistent talk of dramatically slimmer bezels and removal of the home button (possible to be integrated into the display) and a repositioned flash and heart rate sensor above the camera rather than to the side. Just as interesting is the render shows Samsung has finally moved the Galaxy S series to USB Type-C and retained the headphone jack.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/olixar-ultra-thin-samsung-galaxy-s8-edge-case-100-clear-p62529.htm#
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/01/13/samsung-galaxy-s8-design-images/#34dca64b2ac3

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

"Just as interesting is the render shows Samsung has finally moved the Galaxy S series to USB Type-C and retained the headphone jack. Bravo!"

Unless I'm missing some images, I have no idea how they drew the conclusion of USB-C and the headphone jack from that one image. You can't see the top or bottom clearly. Not that I don't expect them to go USB-C, I just don't understand what they think they see.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
"Just as interesting is the render shows Samsung has finally moved the Galaxy S series to USB Type-C and retained the headphone jack. Bravo!"

Unless I'm missing some images, I have no idea how they drew the conclusion of USB-C and the headphone jack from that one image. You can't see the top or bottom clearly. Not that I don't expect them to go USB-C, I just don't understand what they think they see.

Forbes link has it

Screenshot-2017-01-13-at-16.01.05.png

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
My old 2nd Gen Moto G had soft buttons years ago, they work very well swiping up from the bottom to get them. What's old is new again I guess... cause... Apple.

If the S8 does indeed have 4K resolution and has the headphone jack then it looks like I'll early upgrade from my S7 as 4K for VR will be awesome! (2K is good, but 4K should go along way towards eliminating that slight blurriness)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Forbes link has it

Screenshot-2017-01-13-at-16.01.05.png
I see

Well it'll be interesting when it releases to see if their early sales show an impact from the note 7 debacle. I'd be interested in an s8 with a headphone jack, but wouldn't jump on it until I heard it didn't have any issues

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
So the S8 Plus sports a 6.2'' screen in a device the size of my (5.7'') Note 4? Damn impressive if true.

I'm skeptical of both claimed leaks. Wasn't the first image already debunked? And the second is just an abstract render, so it's hard to say whether it's real or just a fan's dream.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
So the S8 Plus sports a 6.2'' screen in a device the size of my (5.7'') Note 4? Damn impressive if true.

S8-real-1-1.jpg

http://www.macdigger.ru/iphone-ipod...a-fotografiya-flagmana-samsung-galaxy-s8.html
Nice, especially as you'd expect their screens to keep improving on top of their already best in class quality. Gaining that type of screen real estate in that body is a real step forward for smartphones this year, with the Mi Mix being the first. More content per screen, more immersive media and games, all without the previous trade-offs in size and portability.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Oh and superior to the Mi Mix if true, these would still be normal sized phones unlike the Mi Mix which is around iPhone 7 Plus sized but even wider.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Don't think I'd buy another curved glass handset again, getting a good screen protector for it has been a PITA.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
it's still the best smartphone out right now.

What makes it the best? It's obviously not hardware, so it must be software? if so, I don't see the appeal AT ALL to anyone not reading these forums.

..photos, videos, games, and really anything can take advantage of the larger screen size. That's the beauty of software buttons, they can be hidden.

And what happens when you need them? It's always an extra swipe, whatever you do. It gets extremely annoying really fast.

Mar 11, 2004
What makes it the best? It's obviously not hardware, so it must be software? if so, I don't see the appeal AT ALL to anyone not reading these forums.

And what happens when you need them? It's always an extra swipe, whatever you do. It gets extremely annoying really fast.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more touch sensitive backsides that would be used for navigation (kinda like on the Vita). Wonder if they could maybe use the haptic feedback mechanisms to also receive information, so it wouldn't need to be touch sensitive like normal but rather could detect you tapping on the body.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Oh wow... that S8 looks perfect in size. 140mm is the absolute max I consider comfortable to use one-handed. Let's hope it looks like on the leaked images. Obviously I will go and check it out first. But if it's OK, it would be my first Samsung phone ever then... :dizzy:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I am mixed. I do like thin bezels but for whatever reason the leaked photo does not wow me. Though often times these things look very different in person so I am going to reserve my judgment. I hope Samsung brings back white ones, assuming it keeps the glass back. White surface has a lot easier time hiding fingerprints.

My prediction is that the Plus one will get a new display (likely 4K), and the regular one will stay with 2K.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Seeing some case rumor leaks showing cutouts for an S Pen. If true it kinda makes sense. They want to offer something to the Note 7 user base.

Reactions: lopri

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
I'm surprised we haven't seen more touch sensitive backsides that would be used for navigation (kinda like on the Vita). Wonder if they could maybe use the haptic feedback mechanisms to also receive information, so it wouldn't need to be touch sensitive like normal but rather could detect you tapping on the body.

Since i use my phone a lot when lying on it's back on the table (mostly at work), I really really hate the idea of anything essential (like a fp reader) being put on the back.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Since i use my phone a lot when lying on it's back on the table (mostly at work), I really really hate the idea of anything essential (like a fp reader) being put on the back.
Not to mention the pain in the ass factor of having to constantly remove the case.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
If these rumors are true, I'd get one day one. Looks great, and a good size. I have the 7 edge and love it. I don't care if they drop the headphone jack, I use wireless anyways. I would want it to retain water resistant though, I actually did use it a few times, snorkeling in the ocean.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
If Samsung keeps the headjack and HTC 11 removes it.. I may have to begrudgingly go back to Samsung...

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If Samsung keeps the headjack and HTC 11 removes it.. I may have to begrudgingly go back to Samsung...

And if both ditch the headphone jack?

Like it or not, this may be the direction going forward... I'd rather embrace it and get a phone that will make me happier overall than pick based on which one lets me plug cans in without an adapter.