Galaxy S8 Active, really great phone

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
So I was using an OG 32gb pixel XL for a while and I wanted something with an SD card, decent screen, speakers, etc.

On a whim I decided to try the S8 Active. I bought it on ebay and am using it in Canada. I got the Sprint/ t-mobile version.

1.I have to say, it's been a great phone so far. I really like the battery life. ..easily 2 days for me even with 5-6 hours of SOT. Way better than the Pixel XL which would last about a day with 4-5 hrs of SOT, sometimes less.

2.Speakers are MUCH better than the tinny one on the pixel, especially speakerphone which is very important for me.

3.Screen is about the same for me, but I do prefer 16:9 rather than the taller aspect ratios, but it's easily livable. And thank goodness the screen on the S8 active is flat unlike the regular galaxy phones...I really can't stand curved screens. It also gets very bright.

4.pixel is marginally smoother but not by much. I'm running Action Launcher.

5.security updates, of course the pixel wins but so far there has been monthly updates for the s8a, although it's about a month behind what the pixel gets.

6. I haven't tried the camera much on the s8a, but most likely the pixel is slightly better as Google is doing very well in this area.

7. Design wise I think it looks a bit better than the pixel as the bezels are smaller. I kinda like the rugged looks. Not as good looking as the regular S8, but not bad. It's also shorter and narrower than the pixel, but it's noticeably heavier.

If anyone has any questions about the s8a feel free to respond to this thread or PM me.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I recommended the S8 active to my parents specifically because they don't like the idea of a curved smartphone screen, and they're fairly clumsy when it comes to their phones, having a phone that is somewhat built for taking a beating really helps. My mother had cracked screens on all her previous smartphones, but so far 1 year in on the S8 active and it's still going strong.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
im in the market for a new phone. I keep waiting and waiting. I like the 9 plus galaxy nice big screen awesome camera. but the galaxy s7 now is so easy to fit in pocket hard to decide if want such big phone again. When i had nOte 4 I loved teh size etc, but sometimes it would fly out of my hand during one hand use :p going to check out the specs on the s8 active usually its a cut down galaxy with worse camera worse battery etc.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
usually its a cut down galaxy with worse camera worse battery etc
It's identical cameras, SoC, RAM, etc.

Only difference is a flat screen instead of curved, the rugged shell, and a larger battery than the standard S8/8+

Mar 11, 2004
Yeah the Active versions have been equal to the normal S line in terms of specs since what the 6? Or maybe even the 5?

The Active 7 and 8 were both especially nice. Guess there isn't going to be a 9 Active since it was normally announced and out before now. Unless they're delaying it for around the Note launch, but guessing they couldn't get it to hold up with the curved screens yet, plus with the regular ones being waterproof now its less of a need for a fair amount of people.