Galaxy S 20 - Do we care?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I’m patiently waiting for a manufacturer to move away from using a google operating system as I don’t use google products for ethical and philosophical reasons.

samsung have the resources to make this happen but seem to not be interested in making this happen. It now appears to be Huawei who are likely to be doing this.

so, beautiful hardware by Samsung, ruined by the software, as usual. It would be great if we could put iOS on these things.
Wow, how many times are you going to say this over and over? Just stick to your iphones and leave the majority of the world alone.

Back on topic, This will be the second Sx phone I will not get. I didn't get the S6 because of what they took away, and I will not be getting the S20 because I will most likely be getting the Note 20. The headphone thing really bugs me mostly because for the amount of $$$ they could of at least thrown in an adapter. Sticking with my S10+ and Note 10+ until I see what the Note 20+ has to offer. Mostly interested in the 120hz screen and cameras.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Just means that lightly used S10s will be selling for pennies on the dollar. My wife has been eyeing an upgrade from her S7 which is really starting to show it's age

I don't like the idea of buying a used phone without a replaceable battery (I'm still on a used LG V20 I picked up 4 years ago), but honestly I haven't actually had to replace the battery on this thing in 4 years and I'm never too far away from an electrical socket.
surprisingly used galaxy's hold their value pretty well, check for galaxy s8+ and s9+ they still sell for damn near the same price i purchased years ago, galaxy s10+ 512gb will hold its price pretty good i imagine. i choose to purchase small crack on the back or something to make the price reasonable (goes in a case anyway) never had a issue with used batteries and can always have someone replace the battery if it comes down to it, charging the s10+ takes about 20 mins to get me another day of use so im super pleased.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm on an S9+ and feel no need to upgrade right now, I like everything about the phone. Battery life lasts me all day, camera is certainly good enough, performance is great (I dont see any slow downs), it's got the headphone jack, its slim and it feels nice to hold. I really cant justify moving on from it while it's working well.
That said I am curious about the S20 with the superzoom (S20 ultra?).

Reactions: killster1

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Wow, how many times are you going to say this over and over? Just stick to your iphones and leave the majority of the world alone.

Back on topic, This will be the second Sx phone I will not get. I didn't get the S6 because of what they took away, and I will not be getting the S20 because I will most likely be getting the Note 20. The headphone thing really bugs me mostly because for the amount of $$$ they could of at least thrown in an adapter. Sticking with my S10+ and Note 10+ until I see what the Note 20+ has to offer. Mostly interested in the 120hz screen and cameras.

Until someone does something about it. Why leave the majority of the world alone? They are all suffering from the situation we are in, we need to help them by demanding more competition.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I usually upgrade every year. But I"m on the fence about the S20 series. They did add 5G and a butt-ton of new camera tech. But I really doubt I'll have much use for 5G this year or even next year. I remember the 4G/LTE roll out, it was a crap-show. Those first 4G phones sucked and there were compatibility issues, along with the lack of coverage. So I'm not chomping at the bit to be the first with a 5G phone. Likewise, I think around the Pixel 2 is when camera tech got plenty good enough for me. All these camera and features are nice for some, but significant overkill for me.

So I don't want to pay $200+ more than last year for a phone with features that don't appeal to me as much.

Just a few weeks ago Samsung launched the S10 and Note 10 Lite phones. Which I don't quite understand when 4 weeks later they dropped the price of the regular S10 phones and they could already be had at pretty good prices now. Why is there not a S20 Lite? Where is the Samsung phone for the people that want the latest Snapdragon 865 processor, a really nice display, but don't want the 5G (yet) or multiple expensive cameras (and the half inch camera bump with it)? I don't want to wait until 2021 for this phone either.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I'm a Google fan. I know they are harvesting my data and selling it and I'm okay with it. Because I know nothing is free. Email isn't free, search isn't free, video platforms aren't free, chat isn't free, AI assistants aren't free. Google provides a massive number of services and the payment for those services is my data. I understand this relationship and choose to accept it. I also understand my data makes some of these services work even better. I remember a time when I had to pay for most of these things a long time ago. Now I think people take it for granted and think Google is stealing their data and getting nothing in return.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
I'm a Google fan. I know they are harvesting my data and selling it and I'm okay with it. Because I know nothing is free. Email isn't free, search isn't free, video platforms aren't free, chat isn't free, AI assistants aren't free. Google provides a massive number of services and the payment for those services is my data. I understand this relationship and choose to accept it. I also understand my data makes some of these services work even better. I remember a time when I had to pay for most of these things a long time ago. Now I think people take it for granted and think Google is stealing their data and getting nothing in return.

It's not that people think they are getting nothing in return, it's just a bad trade. Google are raking in billions in profits from that data and all you are getting is a free search engine, email and mapping service. As consumers we should be demanding much much more from our personal data.

The trouble is people cannot easily put a value on their personal data because they've never had to think of it as a form of currency. Right now most people are putting far too small a price on their data (else google wouldn't be raking in billions in profits). The best way to think about your personal data is to think of it as a resource that has a monetary value. Think about how much you feel your data is worth in that way and then assess whether you can get an equivalent paid for service from someone else for less.

E.g., if you value your personal data at £10 per month, you are effectively paying google £10 per month for their services. If you can get all of the same services from another company for £5 per month and they aren't monetising your data then you are paying too much for google services.

EDIT - On a related but different topic it was really interesting when I asked people at work why they accepted paying money for Sky TV but are also shown adverts. They hadn't thought of the fact that Sky are essentially double-dipping, charging you money for the service and then raking in money from advertising too! It just doesn't cross people's minds that their personal data and attention has value.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Until someone does something about it. Why leave the majority of the world alone? They are all suffering from the situation we are in, we need to help them by demanding more competition.
Stop whining about it and do something about it yourself for yourself.
Stop trying to "help" people that dont agree with you or want your "help".

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You can pick and choose what to share. Anything that I consider "sensitive" that I dont want to share is kept on end to end encrypted services. Other stuff is shared out.

Reactions: Tlh97 and killster1

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I care. While the price of phones is borderline ridiculous... Buying from samsung.com makes it not too bad. The camera alone seems worthy of an upgrade. I am a Samsung homer though, love the phones, ear buds and watches. The flip was just not there for me yet, maybe next year. The idea of a smaller, but thicker phone is very enticing. I do not want the Ultra, just too big. I dont like carrying a huge phone in my front pocket.

Trading in my S10 Plus gave me a $600 credit. And it gave me a $150 credit for accessories, which I used to get the new earbuds, I have the previous two versions and I like them. Out the door price is $661, for a new S20 Plus, and earbuds. That makes it not bad. I think I paid $1000 last year for the S10 Plus, so I basically rented the phone for $400.

If I would have gone with Verizon financing it would have given me $150 Verizon credit. But you have to add a line or upgrade a line, and I cannot do that. I have the old school real unlimited data plan, and I cannot do that or I lose it. Not willing to give it up yet, its 100% unlimited and no throttling. I dont want a new plan with all the tiers and restrictions. I use it to mobile hotspot when we are away from home for everyone else.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I care. While the price of phones is borderline ridiculous... Buying from samsung.com makes it not too bad. The camera alone seems worthy of an upgrade. I am a Samsung homer though, love the phones, ear buds and watches. The flip was just not there for me yet, maybe next year. The idea of a smaller, but thicker phone is very enticing. I do not want the Ultra, just too big. I dont like carrying a huge phone in my front pocket.

Trading in my S10 Plus gave me a $600 credit. And it gave me a $150 credit for accessories, which I used to get the new earbuds, I have the previous two versions and I like them. Out the door price is $661, for a new S20 Plus, and earbuds. That makes it not bad. I think I paid $1000 last year for the S10 Plus, so I basically rented the phone for $400.

If I would have gone with Verizon financing it would have given me $150 Verizon credit. But you have to add a line or upgrade a line, and I cannot do that. I have the old school real unlimited data plan, and I cannot do that or I lose it. Not willing to give it up yet, its 100% unlimited and no throttling. I dont want a new plan with all the tiers and restrictions. I use it to mobile hotspot when we are away from home for everyone else.
Im going to sell my S10+ for cash and when the Note 20+ comes out I will trade my Note 10+ for that. I am still on a payment plan on the S10+ so selling it for 450 cash will pay that off. I used to get the S series every year then the Note series and swapped every 6 months. But I am just going to stick with the Note series from now on.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
If your purpose is saving as much money as possible,then I don't see why you would stick to samsung.Other android phones don't bite.Why don't you take a look at price/performance champions like xiaomi?In any case,i wouldn't buy the S20 ultra.With that money you can get a computer(and a very good one even) that will last 5 years,not 2 like a phone does.

• Haha

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
If your purpose is saving as much money as possible,then I don't see why you would stick to samsung.Other android phones don't bite.Why don't you take a look at price/performance champions like xiaomi?In any case,i wouldn't buy the S20 ultra.With that money you can get a computer(and a very good one even) that will last 5 years,not 2 like a phone does.
Can't carry a computer in your pocket. Phones today are basically pocket PCs.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I said 2k because i was lazy to tell the exact price,but S20 ultra isn't far from 2k.Anyway,my point stands.
No it doesn't, because there are no 2k phones! The S20 Ultra is $1400 at Best buy, which is still a long way from 2K.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I said 2k because i was lazy to tell the exact price,but S20 ultra isn't far from 2k.Anyway,my point stands.
what camera and LTE modem does your computer come with? oh whats that none? you need another modem ontop of that and a freaking cart to haul it around like a hobo? i think we will just stick to using phones thank you very much!

xiaomi why dont we save 500$ and buy one? well my #1 reason (which should be spyware) is quality control! i KNOW samsung has error bad phones etc, but the chance you get a bad screen or a issue is 999% less then xiaomi, i do however use their dashcamera in two of my cars and enjoy yelling at it "record video" and it does a good job of placing in a new folder the video im asking it to record for easy access :p So yea i stick to samsung, it would be nice if they had a stock rom and unlocked bootloader but i stopped caring about any fancy apps that required root long ago. (closest i use is backround screen recorder? and it doesnt require root thankfully) when are the cracked s20 ultra+ going to be on ebay :p guess i can wait another 2 months.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
No it doesn't, because there are no 2k phones! The S20 Ultra is $1400 at Best buy, which is still a long way from 2K.

Unlocked 512 GB (with 16GB of ram vs 12GB of the 128GB phone) is $1599...after taxes, over $1700....

The fold is $1789 plus taxes is pretty close $2k

• Wow
Reactions: Tlh97 and killster1

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Unlocked 512 GB (with 16GB of ram vs 12GB of the 128GB phone) is $1599...after taxes, over $1700....

The fold is $1789 plus taxes is pretty close $2k

Close only counts with horse shoes and hand grenades.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
what camera and LTE modem does your computer come with? oh whats that none? you need another modem ontop of that and a freaking cart to haul it around like a hobo? i think we will just stick to using phones thank you very much!
not my point tho.I never said you shouldn't own a phone.I just said that phones will never replace computers.If you really wanna carry it around,get a laptop.A phone has many utilities and you should definitely have good one,but you can never compare it to a computer.Computers can do what takes a phone's max performance without breaking a sweat.This just isn't debatable.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
not my point tho.I never said you shouldn't own a phone.I just said that phones will never replace computers.If you really wanna carry it around,get a laptop.A phone has many utilities and you should definitely have good one,but you can never compare it to a computer.Computers can do what takes a phone's max performance without breaking a sweat.This just isn't debatable.

depends what you do on your computer, phones can very well replace most folks pc's. if you are not rendering you could actually use a doc with keyboard mouse / hdmi to bigscreen and get 95% of what you need done from your snapdragon soc. Name some things you do that your phone wouldnt be able to? play pc games? well duh, photoshop? guess phones could do something similar, funny how you say now to geta a good phone but a few posts ago you said to buy a cheapie xiamoi and a PC instead of a samsung. Spyware / camera / modem / quality control / battery life / SOC power was my answer.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

It'd be fairer to say they're unlikely to completely replace computers, but that doesn't mean they can't replace computers for some people. Think about it -- if you only check social networks, browse the web, read email and play the occasional game on your computer (even something like Fortnite or PUBG), why do you have a computer in the first place?

To borrow from Steve Jobs: mobile devices are cars, and computers are trucks. There will be some things only a truck can do, but not everyone needs a truck... and for some, the car will actually be a more efficient and elegant solution.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Just came from a Samsung store that has all their new stuff showcased. Played with the fold Z and it is a really nice feeling gadget. Looked at and ayed with the S20 ultra and it felt odd in hand. Felt too thick and heavy. The main thing I hated about this phone is that all of the buttons are on the right hand side. I just got used to the power button moved tk the left side now the power and volume buttons are all on the right side. Ug.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just came from a Samsung store that has all their new stuff showcased. Played with the fold Z and it is a really nice feeling gadget. Looked at and ayed with the S20 ultra and it felt odd in hand. Felt too thick and heavy. The main thing I hated about this phone is that all of the buttons are on the right hand side. I just got used to the power button moved tk the left side now the power and volume buttons are all on the right side. Ug.

I'd be alright with the button layout (it helps that I'm left-handed), but I've heard about the bulk... it feels like the S20 Ultra was an experiment that didn't quite pan out. I'm curious to see how the smaller S20 models fare.