Gainward Ti4200 Question: Video editing + Games

SnakeEyes45

Aug 14, 2002
I'm going to be getting an Gainward Ti4200 soon for my P4 2.26-based setup. Mostly for games, but I think I'll eventually be using it (<4 months) for some video editing. I'm a total newbie on the video editing side of things, so I have some basic questions...

Assuming I get a digital camcorder (e.g., Canon, or Sony PC110 or PC101) with a FireWire link, I'll just hook it up to my computer via FireWire. However, I will want to transfer some of my video to video-tape for distribution to family members. Will want to transfer to VHS both pre-edited and after some post-editing. Will I use any of the features of the Gainward cards to accomplish this? Can I just do this with the camcorder? I'm not sure.

I'm considering either the 128Mb version with TV-Out, or the 128Mb VIVO version. Basically, the question comes down to what does the VIVO version get me in relation to video editing.

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance!

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
Well, if you're going to use firewire, you don't have to worry about using the video-in option of a vid card (it will be alot faster to go with firewire too not to mention you will probably have better quality).

If you want to put it back out to tape, I don't know if you would want to use the tv-out part either cause the quality will probably be pretty poor cause it's not meant to be used as an editing tool. You would probably want to use a better card meant for outputting video (like a better capture card which will allow you to input or output). The GF4 won't be terrible for outputting to video, but it will look crappy if you plan on keeping the vhs tape for sometime.

It's certainly the cost effective way of outputting to video and you get a fast 3d vid card at the same time. I'm not positive, but I would almost think that the firewire would allow you to output back to the camera too, but it just depends if the camera would support the feature. I would check to see if this is possible cause that would be the way to go.

mityfowl

Sep 18, 2002
Like in the Pinnacle DV 7, all sound and video is transfered both ways through the firewire.

Its pretty fast and slick. And it will give you the best video quality that your camera can handle (digital). The s-video is analog and will probably never give you any better than 640x400.

SnakeEyes45

Aug 14, 2002
Thanks for your responses, folks. It seems like I'd have no problems with FireWire going to and from a MiniDV camcorder.

However, I still have some outstanding questions on this topic:

* What's the difference between TV-out on the GF4 and the VO part of VIVO? Is the latter higher quality?
* How can I best get video (edited or otherwise) from a digital camcorder to VHS?

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
When you do get a DV camcorder, be sure it has the AV->DV passthrough feature. Not all of them do. This allows the camcoder to be the A/D converter and send the video/audio out the firewire port. I've done this an it works great. I have never went back the other way though (back to VHS). I think you would have to first record the captured/edited video to the DV tape, then dub it to the VCR. I dont think the passthrough works DV->AV. You could use the video out from the GF4 card to connect to the VCR instead.

SnakeEyes45

Aug 14, 2002
Out of curiosity, oldfart, what camcorder do you use?

I'm looking at the Sony PC110 and PC101 as my top MiniDV candidates at the moment. Probably won't go for the VX series, though if I did step up that way it looks like I should consider the Canon GL1 or GL2...

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
I went kind of lower budget. Most camcorders have more features than I need such as the ability to store (crappy) still photos on a flash card. I went with the Canon ZR40. Nice, small camera with everything I need, 18X Optical/360 Digital zoom. My only complainy is the 2.5" LCD is small and hard to see in sunlight.