GA-z170x-ud5 doesn't see sata drives when nvme connected.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
Hello,I have a Samsung 850 sata SSD - it boots perfectly with it in one of the first or last SATA ports on the motherboard. When I boot with an nvme Samsung 860 installed - it sees the drive however it no longer sees the sata drive which has the OS. I need for it to boot off the sata drive. If I go into the bios - peripherals - it does not have the Samsung 850 Sata SSD listed. If I go to boot options it does not have the SATA drive listed. I turn off the PC and remove just the nvme drive - nothing else the system boots no problem. I cannot add the nvme drive after the system boots off sata. I've also tried disabling the nvme boot options and it still won't see the sata drive. I have a 750 watt power enermax supply so the system has plenty of power.

I have a different gigabyte motherboard and don't seem to have this issue. Since it can't be seen in the bios anymore I know it isn't a driver issue.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Using the M.2 slots disables some of the SATA ports. You will have to look in your manual to see which ones are affected. Sometimes its different depending on if the M.2 drive is NVMe or SATA.

Also, do you mean you have a 960 EVO NVMe drive? The 860 (EVO and PRO) are SATA drives.