GA Republicans using new voter law to oust officials in the largest Democratic county

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Trump's share of the vote in WV increased between 2016 and 2020. Doesn't sound like a state that is trending blue to me.
I don't know what you are smoking, Trump's share only increased by a whole 0.12 %.. That really isn't considered an increase by any means.. Democrats however increased by 3.26%. In fact, Republican's turnout only increased by 11% from 2016 to 2020, where democratic turnout increased by 24% from 2016 to 2020. Those numbers are in democrats favor, not republican's.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don't know what you are smoking, Trump's share only increased by a whole 0.12 %.. That really isn't considered an increase by any means.. Democrats however increased by 3.26%. In fact, Republican's turnout only increased by 11% from 2016 to 2020, where democratic turnout increased by 24% from 2016 to 2020. Those numbers are in democrats favor, not republican's.

I was replying to a post where someone said he thinks WV is "going to turn blue quite quickly."

Good luck using that analysis to prove his point. He's wrong.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I was replying to a post where someone said he thinks WV is "going to turn blue quite quickly."

Good luck using that analysis to prove his point. He's wrong.

What is considered quickly in a Presidential election that takes place ever 4 years? It's going to happen quicker than you realize when you look at it in election cycles and not years, specially if the democrat gains continue.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
What is considered quickly in a Presidential election that takes place ever 4 years? It's going to happen quicker than you realize when you look at it in election cycles and not years, specially if the democrat gains continue.

Your own link says Trump carried the state in 2020 by 38.6%. The only state he carried by a wider margin was Wyoming. Which makes it the second reddest state in the country.

I'm not holding my breath for the state to turn blue any time in the foreseeable future. Not in years, nor in election cycles.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Your own link says Trump carried the state in 2020 by 38.6%. The only state he carried by a wider margin was Wyoming. Which makes it the second reddest state in the country.

I'm not holding my breath for the state to turn blue any time in the foreseeable future. Not in years, nor in election cycles.
It's only 7 election cycles away if the current democrat gains stay the same, as those gains will eat away at the GOP numbers, but they will increase over time, so you are looking at 4 to 5 presidential election cycles... That a short time in Presidential election cycles, which is the only realistic way to measure it.

Of course, if the GOP keep heading down the road of self destruction, killing off their based, it will happen sooner.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's only 7 election cycles away if the current democrat gains stay the same, as those gains will eat away at the GOP numbers, but they will increase over time, so you are looking at 4 to 5 presidential election cycles... That a short time in Presidential election cycles, which is the only realistic way to measure it.

Of course, if the GOP keep heading down the road of self destruction, killing off their based, it will happen sooner.

You take a gain over one election cycle, project it out over 7, then assume it will accelerate. In spite of the fact that historically, states can go up or down, then back again from one cycle to the next. You're reading way too much into it.

Besides, if WV ever goes blue, the rest of the country will likely have gone blue first, making it irrelevant by then.

It's nice to ponder these fantasy scenarios, but that's all they are.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You take a gain over one election cycle, project it out over 7, then assume it will accelerate. In spite of the fact that historically, states can go up or down, then back again from one cycle to the next. You're reading way too much into it.

Besides, if WV ever goes blue, the rest of the country will likely have gone blue first, making it irrelevant by then.

It's nice to ponder these fantasy scenarios, but that's all they are.
Go look up WV history. The only person who is reading way to much into the numbers is you. Who by the way, brought the numbers into the discussion in an attempt to justify your belief WV won't go blue any time soon. It's happened very quickly in their own voting history both going blue and going red. The candidate plays a huge roll in the outcome.

Here, you don't even have to look it up. take note how quickly it changed from 1996 to 2000, please explain what stops it from happening that quickly to go back to blue. :

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Go look up WV history. The only person who is reading way to much into the numbers is you. Who by the way, brought the numbers into the discussion in an attempt to justify your belief WV won't go blue any time soon. It's happened very quickly in their own voting history both going blue and going red. The candidate plays a huge roll in the outcome.

Here, you don't even have to look it up. take note how quickly it changed from 1996 to 2000, please explain what stops it from happening that quickly to go back to blue. :

Good luck with your prediction!

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Good luck with your prediction!
Sad that you are not even man enough to admit that WV's own voting history destroys your whole argument. Which is just another one of your no faith arguments because you have nothing that supports your position that it won't happen, because history shows it has and can happen in a single election cycle. Along with ignoring the other points I brought up. Yet, you claim I am reading to much into the numbers, which is all your argument is based on (the 2020 numbers).

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Sad that you are not even man enough to admit that WV's own voting history destroys your whole argument. Which is just another one of your no faith arguments because you have nothing that supports your position that it won't happen, because history shows it has and can happen in a single election cycle. Along with ignoring the other points I brought up. Yet, you claim I am reading to much into the numbers, which is all your argument is based on (the 2020 numbers).

Yeah, sure, you're right, one time in history the state had a huge shift over one cycle. That means sometime real soon it's going to happen again. And of course, it will happen in the direction we want it to. Definitely. The second reddest state in the country will soon go blue.

Never mind that the southern states were are dem until the southern strategy, with a few holding out until the 90's. WV is a socially conservative state, then and now. It was when it voted democrat. They just didn't figure out who their political party was for awhile. Why it happened that quickly is anyone's guess.

I see no demographic shifts in that state indicating a leftward trend. Are lots of Hispanics or blacks moving there? Is there is big migration from blue states like what we've seen in Texas? I see nothing indicating a leftward trend. A small move from one cycle to the next means nothing.

Frankly, I don't really care if you choose to believe that a state that Trump won by 39% is "quickly going blue" or not. You're entitled to your predictions.

Be aware that there's a decent chance the entire country will be run by republicans before it would even have a chance to happen. Which is why we're wasting our time even discussing this.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Yeah, sure, you're right, one time in history the state had a huge shift over one cycle. That means sometime real soon it's going to happen again. And of course, it will happen in the direction we want it to. Definitely. The second reddest state in the country will soon go blue.

Never mind that the southern states were are dem until the southern strategy, with a few holding out until the 90's. WV is a socially conservative state, then and now. It was when it voted democrat. They just didn't figure out who their political party was for awhile. Why it happened that quickly is anyone's guess.

I see no demographic shifts in that state indicating a leftward trend. Are lots of Hispanics or blacks moving there? Is there is big migration from blue states like what we've seen in Texas? I see nothing indicating a leftward trend. A small move from one cycle to the next means nothing.

Frankly, I don't really care if you choose to believe that a state that Trump won by 39% is "quickly going blue" or not. You're entitled to your predictions.
You seem to be ignoring that what I said can happen with the state turning blue is exactly what happened with the state turning red from blue (happened over roughly 7 election cycles). You fixate on only what you think supports your argument and ignore everything that destroys it. But in your mind, it's could never happen from red to blue because you believe the states around them have to go blue too. What a stupid theory.

You are also ignoring the current political climate with the GOP on a self destruction path and killing off it's base. GOP is dying, which is why they are doing everything they can to suppress voters and change the voting laws.

And, now you want to set the stage that it requires Hispanics and Blacks to move there for it to happen? Are you implying that only Hispanics and Blacks vote democrat?

Are you aware that WV's population is decreasing.. people are leaving.. what kind of an impact do you think that will have? Oh wait, in your mind it will effect it turning blue only if it's the Hispanics or blacks that are staying..

And you end your response with the same 2020 numbers you started your argument. Which I have already shown you doesn't mean shit.. yet, you still are fixated on that number.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Trump backs three different candidates for Secretary of State in 2022 who have publicly endorsed "stop the steal" lies. All in key swing states.

These candidates must be aggressively attacked for their anti-democracy stances and their flagrant dishonesty, and must be defeated.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Trump backs three different candidates for Secretary of State in 2022 who have publicly endorsed "stop the steal" lies. All in key swing states.

These candidates must be aggressively attacked for their anti-democracy stances and their flagrant dishonesty, and must be defeated.
Scary thoughts:
Roughly half of republican voters still think Jan 6 was either a legitimate largely non-violent protest and/or was the handiwork of "left wing activists". Despite extensive video evidence and confessions from the actual offenders ~ not on Fox so it didn't happen.

60% R's have been brainwashed to believe Trump's laughably false claims that the election was stolen. This is basically becoming a litmus test in republican primaries.

These are also the same people that are now being placed into local and county election boards to supervise the next election. Worries aren't just at the visible state officials, these hyper-partisan, anti-democracy brainwashed fine folks are going to be largely running and supervising the next election in many localities.