GA-EP45-UD3P CPU speed fluctuations

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
I have a new GA-EP45-UD3P mobo and granted I am not familiar with the bios settings yet.

My processor is an E8400 3.0Ghz stock speed. When I check the CPU speed with CPU-Z it shows it idling at around 2Ghz. On occasion it ramps up to 3.0 Ghz . I noticed in the EasyTune6 software that the multiplier fluctuates between 6 and 9. Where 9 is the advertised multiplier.

I have the BIOS set to optimal performance default so possibly there are some "auto" functions causing my speed to fluctuate. I am only using EasyTune 6 to monitor the hardware speeds etc. not to overclock. Both core temps are running at 40C or lower so its not because of over heat protection.

Can anyone shed any light on this and what I need to change to get a stable 3.0Ghz. I don't want to change the wrong thing and fry something. If anyone has a website that shows how to setup the bios on a Gigabyte board that would be great as well. The owners manual doesn't go into any details about cause and effect. I suspect the problem lies with some "auto" setting in bios but I am not sure which one to change.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
thats a feature of the cpu (NOT the motherboard or the operating system), it is called power savings. All modern cpus and gpus do that and it saves you electricity. if you actually RUN something that needs it will stay at 3ghz for as long as that program is running.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
Whew thanks guys....I am upgrading from an older P4 processor and mobo and my old one didn't have this feature. I thought I had mobo or CPU issues...Thanks for the response

OK n7 what parameter exactly in the CMOS menu on that link you sent refers to the speedstep function?

Is it "C2/C2E state support"?

polarbear6

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2008
Originally posted by: n7

Here's where you disable Speedstep. Only do it if you are OCing, & technically even then, you can often leave it enabled without hurting anything.
http://images.hardwarecanucks....yte/EP45UD3P/bios8.jpg

i say u wont save a bomb on using these speed step and sh*t
besides u will see that fps in games has ups and downs
it feels very disturbing to play games with speed step on especially crysis and gta 4(i noticed it)

and i have caluculated it @ 6 hours a day u will hardly save 2 ~ 3 kwh of energy a month