GA-EP35-DS3L as an OCing board.

axy1985

Apr 14, 2008
Hi!
I just got my E7200, but since the "old" GA-P35-DS3L was out of stock, I borrowed a cheap board from a friend to play with in the meantime. Now, I see that the DS3L is somewhat replaced by the newer EP35-DS3L, that has this power management thing, DES.
I intend to overclock, not to extremes, but to get around 3.2GHz out of this CPU.
Is this mobo an OCing sweetie just as its "predecessor"? Does this power saving feature get in the way when OCing? I'm guessing it does, and that it's kind of unlikely that using it WHILE overclocking is a good idea. Then can you disable it and have a "normal" P35-DS3L for OCing?

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh in case it matters... the RAM would be a 2GB kit of OCZ Plat Rev. 2 DDR2-800.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Don't know much about the new board, but if you have a Fry's nearby you should still be able to pick up the older tried and true version as they had a ton of stock a couple of days ago when I picked one up for my son.

fallsroad

Dec 31, 2006
You don't have to use the power saving features of the EP version of the DS3L at all, if you don't want to. It is basically a software package add on - it is even backwards compatible with many non "E" boards.

There have been a couple of articles about how to use the power saving settings with an over clock.

FWIW, my EP35-DS4 is identical to the "regular" DS4 in all respects except the packaging and the additional software. It over clocks just fine. :)

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Get the newer board. Improvements are made with each revision or newer version, so I wouldnt expect any less from the EP version.

RocKKer

Dec 10, 2000
I just got this MB, I am using a e2200, can only get 355 fsb with 8X, I think to go higher I need to up the voltage a little - there is a setting for for CPU voltage control but it seems to do nothing acccording the easy tune 5 and cpu-z.

it has the F4 bios, which I believe is the latest - is there some trick to increasing the voltage?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: RocKKer
is there some trick to increasing the voltage?

What are you asking? There are so many voltage adjusting options in the bios.

Never do an overclock using a software within windows. BIOS is the only way for overclocking when it comes to cpus and ram.

EDIT: Read the guide that this section of the forums has for overclocking before doing anything.

RocKKer

Dec 10, 2000
Thanks or the replies. Sorry for the confusion. I used the BIOS to OC, I only used the easy tune to verify the cpu Vcore, because cpuz was reporting 1.29 v. Vcore is the voltage I am trying to increase.

I have read the guide by graysky, is that the one your suggesting I read? I have also OC an e2180 (9X373), so I am not a complete newbie, but it was awhile back on an Abit - not the Gigabyte.

Here is what I have set in the MB Intelligent tweaker. Can't seem to fine an EIST setting.

Limit CPUID Max to 3 = Disabled
No Execute Memory Protect = Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (CIE) = Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) = Disabled

Robust Graphic Booster Auto
CPU Clock Ratio 8X
CPU Host Clock Control Enabled
CPU Host Frequencey (mhz) 355
PCI Express Frequency (mhz) auto
C.I.A.2 Disabled
Performance enhance standard
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [2.40]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800 852
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [manual]
CAS Latency Time 5 [4]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# 5 [4]
DRAM RAS# Precharge 5 [4]
Precharge delay(tRAS) 18 [12]
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) 3 [Auto]
Rank Write to READ Delay 3 [Auto]
Write to Precharge Delay 6 [Auto]
Refresh to ACT Delay 42 [Auto]
Read to Precharge Delay 3 [Auto]
Static tRD 7 [Auto]
Static tRD Phase Adjustment 0 [Auto]

System Voltage Control [Manual]
Ddr2/ddr3 OverVoltage Control [+.3V]
PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
FSB OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
CPU Voltage Control [1.47500]
Normal CPU Vcore 1.32500V

The CPU Voltage Control is the one that gets me, I believe this is the Vcore voltage, which as you see I set to 1.475, which doesn't seem to do anything. The "Normal CPU Vcore 1.32500V" is greyed out and not changable.

Again I see no EIST setting anywhere, even though the manual lists it (should be in the Advanced BIOS features menu but not there!) however there is a note in the manual that says it won't show if cpu doesn't support the feature. But according to Intel e2200 supports EIST.

EDIT: It seems that this MB has a problem with setting the Vcore, you can set CPU voltage Control to anything you like and it will always run at 1.325. If you were thinking about purchasing this MB, might be a good idea to stay away until this is fixed. I would guess it is just a bios bug, I am going to submit a it as a tech problem to Gigabyte and see if I can get a response from them.

euphoricmix

Jun 4, 2008
Have you received any response from Gigabyte? I am experiencing the same issue, and if there is not going to be a quick solution to this issue I am going to ditch the board.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: RocKKer

System Voltage Control [Manual]
Ddr2/ddr3 OverVoltage Control [+.3V]
PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
FSB OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
CPU Voltage Control [1.47500]
Normal CPU Vcore 1.32500V

The CPU Voltage Control is the one that gets me, I believe this is the Vcore voltage, which as you see I set to 1.475, which doesn't seem to do anything. The "Normal CPU Vcore 1.32500V" is greyed out and not changable.

Again I see no EIST setting anywhere, even though the manual lists it (should be in the Advanced BIOS features menu but not there!) however there is a note in the manual that says it won't show if cpu doesn't support the feature. But according to Intel e2200 supports EIST.

EDIT: It seems that this MB has a problem with setting the Vcore, you can set CPU voltage Control to anything you like and it will always run at 1.325. If you were thinking about purchasing this MB, might be a good idea to stay away until this is fixed. I would guess it is just a bios bug, I am going to submit a it as a tech problem to Gigabyte and see if I can get a response from them.

I don't think there is a problem with the bios. The normal vcore that is greyed out is the normal vcore for the cpu. That will not change. Exactally what it says in my board. As for the CPU-Z readings, you will see a lower voltage in there as there is a common thing called vdroop which is normal for these boards. So, if your using a Vcore of 1.4v you will read 1.3+v in cpu-z. Go into the PC health Status area and you will see what your Cpu voltage is set to. As for the EIST and C1E, it should be in the Advanced Bios Features section. The (3) to disable are called (1) CPU Enhanced Hault (C1E). (2) CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2). (3) CPU EIST Function.

RocKKer

Dec 10, 2000
I just received a reply from gigabyte tech support, their solution was to reset CMOS, I didn't expect it to work, but it did. I can now change the vcore!

I did understand the greyed out "Normal CPU Vcore" and the vdroop issues, but cpuz was not registering any change at all in voltage even though I changed the "CPU Voltage Control".

Thanks for all the suggestions.

GrJohnso

Jun 18, 2004
Let us know how your overclocking goes. I have the EP35-DS3R and have had no issues thus far. Board runs pretty well up to at least 445mhz.. Haven't pushed it much over that. First crack was with the e2160 and that went up to 3ghz without a problem. Yesterday I popped in an e8400 and have it up to 4ghz, but still need to do some tuning on it. vdroop is fairly significant, but predictable.

As someone else noted, you can disable all the DES stuff so that it doesn't kick into power saving's modes. The other thing that is kinda nice on these boards is that C.I.A.2 function if you want to try to balance between running overclocked when you need it, vs otherwise... It'll detect usage and dynamically OC your board up to 20%. However, you'll want to establish your 100% stable top OC settings first, then work backword from their by 20% to figure out where to set your board up as a starting point... Just one more "fun" thing to play with. Keeps the board mellow when just doing basic windows stuff, but fires up instantly to your top OC setting when you start any real work..

euphoricmix

Jun 4, 2008
I hope that continues to work for you RocKKer. They have told others the same line, and it runs fine and then for no apparent reason they can not post of get BSOD's and when they check their voltage it had defaulted back to stock voltage. I will try to reset my CMOS as well, and see if I can get it to stick. If not, bye-bye to this board.

I really enjoyed the V-Droop lesson, BAH.

toadeater

Jul 16, 2007
Originally posted by: tjcinnamon
Disable C1E and EIST in the bios if you are gonna overclock.

You can still use C1E after you find a stable OC. It's EIST that causes trouble because it adjusts the voltage rather than just the multiplier. AFAIK if you manually set the CPU voltage EIST is disabled automatically anyway, even if you have it enabled in the BIOS.

Lokan

Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by: euphoricmix
I hope that continues to work for you RocKKer. They have told others the same line, and it runs fine and then for no apparent reason they can not post of get BSOD's and when they check their voltage it had defaulted back to stock voltage. I will try to reset my CMOS as well, and see if I can get it to stick. If not, bye-bye to this board.

I really enjoyed the V-Droop lesson, BAH.

I've had two Gigabyte boards go bad w/ this exact reason! I won't be purchasing another Gigabyte board in the future :\

I had one of the replacements experience this same issue after 2 weeks and I hadn't even overclocked anything yet.

Looks like I'll be giving MSI a try later this year when I go Quad..

Edit: The specs at the bottom a REALLY out of date btw =)

euphoricmix

Jun 4, 2008
I reset my CMOS and after doing so my Vcore I set in the bios correlated with what I set in the bios. Then I turned my computer off and when I rebooted the Vcore, which I set to 1.3815, defaulted back to the 1.325 stock Vcore. So clearing CMOS is only effective until you shut down, and then you will have to clear the CMOS again if you want to be able to adjust the Vcore. I hope they can offer up a bios revision to clear up this issue.

RocKKer

Dec 10, 2000
I won't be able to get to this for a few days....it is actually at a friends house and we're both busy this weekend with all the graduation and weddings going on.

I will get back to you on how much we were able to OC as soon as I can.

I especially like the idea of running 20% lower and using CIA2 and auto OC when it is needed.

My suggestion to those with this Mboard that have issues with it keeping the vcore setting is start a tech support issue with gigabyte, after all, if they don't know about it they can't fix it and if they get alot of complaints they might up the priority of any fix attempt. I know it's a pain in the rear to have to do this because they should have caught it with their QA.

Go here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx click on the "Got a Problem" and register your issue.

NeonGerbil

Oct 2, 2007
I just got this board a few days ago.

There is a nasty BIOS bug.
For me, it at first didn't save VCore at all.

After so many days, the BIOS reset itself, and the EIST option disappeared!

When it works, this board overclocks very well. I'm running my E2220 at 8x 400MHz.

My fixes:
- When VCore wouldn't "stick", I reset the CMOS (via jumper).
- When "EIST" went away, I reset the CMOS and then loaded "Optimized Defaults".

When I contacted Gigabyte, they said they could not reproduce the issues with their EP35-DS3L boards, so I don't know when a fix will be coming.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: euphoricmix
I reset my CMOS and after doing so my Vcore I set in the bios correlated with what I set in the bios. Then I turned my computer off and when I rebooted the Vcore, which I set to 1.3815, defaulted back to the 1.325 stock Vcore. So clearing CMOS is only effective until you shut down, and then you will have to clear the CMOS again if you want to be able to adjust the Vcore. I hope they can offer up a bios revision to clear up this issue.

With these boards, after you've made the changes you want in the BIOS, you have to save them, and give them a name in the BIOS. It's either F11 or F12 that you push to access that.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I've had my DS3L for a few months and no probs whatsoever. Can OC to 500 FSB easily. Just make sure you update to the latest bios then load optimized defaults and it should function properly. No need to reset cmos when you fiddle with vcore each time, somethings wrong with a board that does that. What will affect OC'ability and/or stability is using the boards 'gimmick' features like "turbo" or "extreme" or CIA2, etc.

Also avoid using auto vcore. Many boards incl GB apply generous vcore when set to auto, its unnecessary and increases heat. Vcore should be kept to the minimum stable possible relative to your OC.

Remember if you update your bios and do not load optimized defaults immediately afterwards, it will malfunction, esp when you OC.

euphoricmix

Jun 4, 2008
Originally posted by: myocardia

With these boards, after you've made the changes you want in the BIOS, you have to save them, and give them a name in the BIOS. It's either F11 or F12 that you push to access that.

That will only save my bios options I prefer, so I can just load the saved bios settings I believe. So great, I will have a bios setting saved named "Buggy Gigabyte" or something to that measure and when I clear the CMOS it I will be able to load up the bios settings I liked. This does nothing to help with the fact that I have to clear the CMOS because my voltage defaults back to stock voltage and I can do nothing to change it unless I have to clear the CMOS.

When it does this it leaves all of my other settings as I had them. For instance if I had my FSB set to 280 x 10, my memory set to 3.0x, CIA2 disabled, EIST disabled the are to these settings. What will happen is I will run something intense that maximizes my processor, and I will get a BSOD or my computer will freeze. It does this because my Vcore has defaulted back to 1.325 instead of the 1.3815 I have it set to in the bios.

Don't get me wrong, that is a nice tool to have once you have all your bios settings tweaked just perfectly so you don't have to jot them down or try to remember them. Once I get things where I want them, if I decide to hang on to this, I will likely have a preferred bios setting file saved.

Gigabyte responded to me that they would like to have some screenshots to help them in researching this issue. I really have not clue what a screenshot is going to do to help them, but I asked them what type of screenshots they wanted and I will do what I can to help them out. I don't know if they are questioning the validity of my issue or what.

euphoricmix

Jun 4, 2008
Originally posted by: amenx
I've had my DS3L for a few months and no probs whatsoever. Can OC to 500 FSB easily. Just make sure you update to the latest bios then load optimized defaults and it should function properly. No need to reset cmos when you fiddle with vcore each time, somethings wrong with a board that does that. What will affect OC'ability and/or stability is using the boards 'gimmick' features like "turbo" or "extreme" or CIA2, etc.

Also avoid using auto vcore. Many boards incl GB apply generous vcore when set to auto, its unnecessary and increases heat. Vcore should be kept to the minimum stable possible relative to your OC.

Remember if you update your bios and do not load optimized defaults immediately afterwards, it will malfunction, esp when you OC.

These are the newer version of the P35-DS3L, they are the EP35-DS3L. The P35-DS3L have been discontinued, and it seems to be an issue specific to the EP35-DS3L's. People with the DS3R's don't seem to be having this issue.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
True. I have yet to reset my CMOS but I can't change the vcore away from stock at the moment. If I bump my FSB to 400mhz I BSOD into Windows.

euphoricmix

Jun 4, 2008
F5c Beta Bios

Flashing to this bios is apparently the answer to our problems. I needed to clear my CMOS, and I flashed to this bios and my VCore is not locked at stock. I have been playing around with it a little bit and it seems very stable, and the VCore bug seems to have gone away. I will report back if I experience any issues.