GA-990FXA-UD3 and the magic changing 'default voltage'...

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
First, please no trash talking gigabyte mobos in this thread, it's just trolling and that belongs in ATOT. My opinion of this motherboard is not going to change based on some random internet person trash talking the board I decided to purchase.

I bought a pair of gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 back when newegg was shipping hardware revision 1.1 and I love them, with just one problem: When I try to overvolt the processor in them (phenom II zosma x4 unlocked to a thuban x6) every time I go into the BIOS and check it lists the base voltage for the CPU as something between 1.3 and 1.45 volts, and the motherboard only lets me overvolt in +.xxxx increments, not base settings.

I know the gigabyte trick of ctrl+F1 to show the advanced settings in BIOS and do such as a matter of course every time I enter anymore as most of my motherboards are gigabyte.

I have tried looking online for this problem and possible solution, but I have not even found anyone talking about this. I have updated the BIOS to both F9 and the latest beta, F10A, and it still does it (I was running F8 when I first tried and had this problem). I have another of this motherboard but I have not yet tried to see if this problem is replicated on it, I am disabled badly and doing so would make me sick for days right now - give me a week or two and I will get the energy to be able to do so without getting sick, right now is a bad time for me.

With default volts I have gotten the CPU from {3.0GHz with 3.4GHz turbo} to {3.5GHz with turbo disabled} and completely prime stable but I would really like to try for 4GHz. FYI I have been OCing systems since the 8088 but I have never run into an issue like this, so I know my stuff, just this is making me go o_O in a big way.

Help?

Does anyone know what the heck is going on and if there is a way to stop it?

100_1052-t.jpg

Last edited:

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
My previous Gigabyte P55 board did the same, supposedly default cpu voltage kept changing depending on overclock. But it didn't seem to affect the offset, that was still applied to the original stock vcore. I just ignored that bios value and used cpu-z to see what vcore I really got.

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
This should not be happening as I have all voltages set to manual control. I also am noticing that cpu-z is showing the different voltages when booting but only when I set it to anything other than the default vcore, which is frustrating me to no end.