G4 E3 coverage

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
So this weekend I digested the 12 or so hours of E3 coverage on my DVR. Most impressive for the PC in my opinion are

Mirror's Edge (parkour/fps)
- really bright graphics and a novel take on movement. Free running sort of like Assassin's Creed but in first person.

Left for Dead (valve's zombie fps)
- well it's Valve so it'll probably be good.

Project Origin (F.E.A.R. sequel)
- looks like they listened to complaints. They opened up the environments and color palette, varied the enemies and combat (you fight in a mech in one sequence), and gave it a graphical overhall. I did notice that this game, and most of the other FPS that were at the show (Killzone 2, Resistance 2) seem to use the CoD4/Crysis aiming reticule with the laser dot in the center.

Street Fighter IV
- I spent god knows how much when I was a teenager mastering SFII, but lost interest in most of the sequels, and never got into the 3-D fighting games. SF4 is 3D rendered but collision detection is all 2D and they said you only need 2 buttons (?!).

Dragon Age
- still early in the process but looked like they could have just called it NWN 3.

Fallout 3
- looks amazing. But lately I've been kinda busy so am a little intimidated by another 100hour behemoth like Oblivion.

I know I'm forgetting a ton but that's what springs to mind. There were a bunch for consoles that also looked sweet but hey, wrong forum.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Based on the screenshots it looks like they didn't improve Gamebryo much beyond Oblivion (which although it still looks good, is getting old). I'm not usually a graphics whore, but I do like my eye candy.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Did you see all the segment of the LOTR version of battlefront? That looked pretty neat but oi only vaught part of it and not sure if it will also be PC released.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I'm a bit disappointed in the number of titles to date, we're already half way through 2008 and not much has come out. Hopefully it picks up around the holidays similar to last year.......

Just need Diablo 3 in 2008 and I won't have to worry about other games for a year or two. ;)

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Are you saying SF IV will only have 2 buttons? I can't see that!! I loved SFII and many of the sequals. I don't understand 2 buttons :( the SNK Vs Capcom with the 4 button SNK layout annoys me. 2 Buttons won't work, I hope they don't make a return to the original SF with the 2 huge ass pressure sensitive rubber buttons. I have bad memories of pounding the hell out of them with a balled up fist. That was the one of the most interesting concept at the time though lol.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Based on the screenshots it looks like they didn't improve Gamebryo much beyond Oblivion (which although it still looks good, is getting old). I'm not usually a graphics whore, but I do like my eye candy.

I meant it "looked" amazing overall, not specifically graphics-wise. I never played I or II.

Originally posted by: lupi
Did you see all the segment of the LOTR version of battlefront? That looked pretty neat but oi only vaught part of it and not sure if it will also be PC released.

I hate the battlefront type games. Way too shallow for me. Pick a limited guy, run around, get killed, respawn with another limited type of guy....

Originally posted by: chizow
I'm a bit disappointed in the number of titles to date, we're already half way through 2008 and not much has come out. Hopefully it picks up around the holidays similar to last year.......

Just need Diablo 3 in 2008 and I won't have to worry about other games for a year or two. ;)

Yeah, early 2008 wasn't great, but I think we and the game co's were still recuperating from a ridiculous 2007. But I saw plenty during the coverage for games coming out this fall thru early next year to keep me pretty stoked. From last fall on there were almost TOO many releases i was worried about not being able to get to them all and give them enough time. I hate rushing through games to get to another game.

Originally posted by: QueBert
Are you saying SF IV will only have 2 buttons? I can't see that!! I loved SFII and many of the sequals. I don't understand 2 buttons :( the SNK Vs Capcom with the 4 button SNK layout annoys me. 2 Buttons won't work, I hope they don't make a return to the original SF with the 2 huge ass pressure sensitive rubber buttons. I have bad memories of pounding the hell out of them with a balled up fist. That was the one of the most interesting concept at the time though lol.

Maybe I misunderstood him, since the wiki page says they'll use the classic 6 button scheme. Maybe he meant 2 buttons as in punch and kick? I dunno now.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I just watched some more SFIV footage on GT and it is looking fantastic. I hope a local arcade gets it here, because that's really the only true way to play SF.

Once I get my SF cabinet, then I can maybe pick up SFIV for home play!!!

Awesome. Sorry for OT, but I love SF. :D

KT