G3258 for system/file backup

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
I'm in the process of building a system for off-site file back up. Would a G3258 with 8 GB Ram be sufficient or would it be better to get something like a 2200g?

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Unless you are putting a 10 gig connection on the machine, anything over an atom is overkill already (most atoms probably are as well).

You will be fine, the companies that make dedicated NAS use way worse hardware than what you are proposing.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to get 4.5 on the stock cooler?
Yeah, sure, 1.45V, LOL.

Seriously, though, don't overclock your server. I was just teasing you.

If you did want to OC them, though, I've never really gotten over 4.2-4.3Ghz stable, no matter how much vcore I pushed. Though I was using H81 boards, and not Z97 boards. YMMV.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I'm going to actually going to say "it depends". You say its for offsite file backup. But it really depends on how much data, what kind of data, and what kind of technology you're leveraging.

Backing up Deduped and Compressed Virtual Machines for instance is much more CPU intensive than say, FTP'ing your photos.

I had a Crashplan system doing Crashplan -> Crashplan backups that were deduped and compressed with about 8TB of files, and it would choke unless the Java Virtual machine was given about 6GB of RAM and 4 CPU cores.

Knowing a bit more about what you're using to backup would give better answers I'd say. But in general, for home users just doing generic file backups, any old thing off the shelf (even a little old Atom machine) would likely be fine.