G210 or GT220 or GT240??

gmjimmy

Nov 29, 2009
I was given some advice for a video card today (GeForce G200 series) and when I looked for it I came up with these
http://www.evga.com/products/prodlis...eries%20Family

The G210 was recommended but there are two of them. One has a 810Mhz clock speed and the other is 800Mhz?? What's the difference? Then I was considering the GT220 but there is a FTW series, a SSC series. I'm not sure whether to go with DDR2 or DDR3. My MB is a Asus P7P55D-E Pro and a i7 860 cpu and 8gb of OCZ DDR3 PC10666. I thought choosing a video card was going to be easy but I'm getting a headache. I' not a gamer but I do photo and video editing. Also I have a bunch of VHS tapes that I want to convert to DVD as well. Money isn't an issue but I don't want to get into the GTX series. Could someone explain the FTW and SSC thing and maybe help me with a decision. I can't seem to find this information anywhere on their site. I just want a good quick quality video card.
Thanks
Jim

Hey Zeus

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Bro... HD5670 beats down on the 240 very easily. Might want to look into that as well

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
No games? Get the cheapest one.

FTW and SSC denote more premium versions of a card. Usually clocked higher. But that's only important for gaming cards.

Illyan

Jan 23, 2008
Definitely, if you're not gaming just get the cheapest card you can find. However, if you do a little gaming on the side, the GT 220 would be a bare minimum.

gmjimmy

Nov 29, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. Does cheapest mean low quality? As much as I'm attracted to the better cards I have to be honest with myself and admit I'm a gadget junkie that always wants the best and I overbuild everything. I want a high quality card that will have some staying power and great graphic ability. If everyone agrees that the 210 or 220 is all I need then they're probably right. Does ATI have any advantage over the Nvidia? Hey Zeus recommended the HD5670. I always had trouble with ATI drivers in the past but it's been 5 years or so since I built a computer. Are things still the same with ATI or are they about the same as the Nvidia based cards?
Thanks again for all the help. This is making things easier.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
I want a high quality card that will have some staying power and great graphic ability.

you don't need a powerful card for photo or video editing.

You do need a good cpu and enough memory (you have both). Build quality is about the same for most cards. If you are worried, buy one with a lifetime warranty. ATi or Nvidia would be fine for you. Zeus' recommendation was for a gaming videocard.