Info G.O.P now wants to prevent non-citizens from voting in local elections.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Apparently the GOP news network (Fox news) makes an opinion article blatantly putting the claim that non-citizens voting is a horrible idea. Apparently the comment section is filled with people claiming that it would cheapen the value of voting in the U.S.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Yeah. Fake fox news @ 11. Rilin' up the base. trump will come along any minute to support the fake news.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The proposal is just saying that Green Card holders "should" be allowed to vote. The "Green Card" already allows and grants a shit-load of rights to not quite "legal" American citizens.
For example:

A green card gives you the legal right to live and work permanently in the United States and to enter and leave the country freely. Green card holders also receive health, education, and other benefits. The green card does not affect present citizenship. A green card holder may later apply for United States citizenship, if desired.

As an American citizen, I would not get my panties all in a wad over this. And as we already know by experience, Fox News (the true Fake News) loves to put these liberal scare tactics out there into the mix only to make the base go crazy. And as we also know, they are already crazy enough as it is. Look how long Fox has been pulling this crap, i.e.
> The Muslims are coming to get ya.
> The blacks will defund the police so blacks can break into your houses.
> Joe Biden is going to take away your guns. It had been Barack Obama, but now Fox had to change that to Joe Biden.
Just a few worthy mentions while strolling down the Fox News memory lane.

I doubt that Green Card holders will ever actually get the chance to legally vote in America, but even if they did get that chance what does it really matter? How many Green Card holders are we talking about? A few at most? And what are republicans going to do, eliminate the Green Card program altogether? I'd bet a lot more Green Card holders share the republican ideology than the ideology of liberalism. The Green Card is there for a reason, and it is not political despite Fox News efforts to make the Green Card political. GAWD.... Do they never quit ?????

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Agreed. Also, it should be easier to become a citizen. If someone wants to be American, let them.

But only if they entered the country legally, do not get arrested while here and maintain gainful employment. Joining the military will gain bonus points.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Non-citizens have always been allowed to vote in local elections in the UK. Just have to be a legal resident. Nothing catastrophic has happened.

Reactions: Zorba

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
But only if they entered the country legally, do not get arrested while here and maintain gainful employment. Joining the military will gain bonus points.

If someone wants to be here so badly that they will risk crossing an open desert with their family, that is bonus points to me. It's one of the most American things to risk everything for freedom/hope/safety. I try to empathize with people who have it really shitty and who realize that there is something special about our country. If I were in a terrible situation and I know that illegally going to the U.S. will give my family a better life, I'm making that choice 10/10 times instead of waiting in line for a decade and I hope you would too.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
They aren't taxed now because they work for cash.

Good god man! You do know that there are plenty of immigrants in this country who get paid like everyone else?

If I had to guess though, you probably outed yourself as I’m sure you not only mostly immigrants (probably illegal ones as well) but I’m guessing you also pay them under the table as well.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Good god man! You do know that there are plenty of immigrants in this country who get paid like everyone else?

If I had to guess though, you probably outed yourself as I’m sure you not only mostly immigrants (probably illegal ones as well) but I’m guessing you also pay them under the table as well.

In his industry its probably all under the table but generalizing that to the millions of people who get work visas every year and take legit paychecks is a pretty small minded thing to do of course.

Reactions: Meghan54

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

They aren't taxed now because they work for cash.

Makes so much sense.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Leeea

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And we should make it much, much easier to enter the country legally. We should radically increase immigration - there are tons of people who want to come here and bust their ass. I say we let them?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And we should make it much, much easier to enter the country legally. We should radically increase immigration - there are tons of people who want to come here and bust their ass. I say we let them?

Flying back to Texas yesterday and the people behind me were talking about how "nobody wants to work" and how bad illegal immigration is.

Hard to get through to people who don't actually want to solve any problems.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Flying back to Texas yesterday and the people behind me were talking about how "nobody wants to work" and how bad illegal immigration is.

Hard to get through to people who don't actually want to solve any problems.
What’s more is that I think they see no disconnect between holding those two positions simultaneously. They want more workers but also don’t want to increase the supply of workers.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What’s more is that I think they see no disconnect between holding those two positions simultaneously. They want more workers but also don’t want to increase the supply of workers.

Correct. Some sort of magic is supposed to happen to provide plentiful labor but not from immigration to grow the pool in a country with births well below replacement and a big chunk of population aging out of the workforce.

I'd like a unicorn to deliver me gold bars but that's probably not going to happen either.