G.O.G question

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Good old games has many great old titles. I'm wondering how they "own " them so to speak. I have purchased 70-80 old games, and am under the Impression as long as GOG is around the games will be there. But as a few are from a company that has released them on other Digital sites but later removed them when they started there own Digital site, could they disappear from GOG? Dont want to go into names as as soon you badmouth the company it makes many people butt hurt (they make some popular games). Anybody know how GOG retains use of games? could they disappear? I know i can download them and they are mine forever, but i prefer to just grab um when i want. Do i need to start downloading copies to be sure? Or does GOG have um till they go away?

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I realize your question is hypothetical but why worry about it. Just download them and stash them away then you'll never need to wonder if you'll lose access to them. GOG and Matrix Games are two companies I gladly buy software from because of how they distribute the games. :)

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
GOG has already had to remove a few games for sale on their site, but they stay in users accounts for everyone who had already purchased them.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Anybody know how GOG retains use of games? could they disappear? I know i can download them and they are mine forever, but i prefer to just grab um when i want. Do i need to start downloading copies to be sure? Or does GOG have um till they go away?
As you said, simply download them, put them on your data backup HDD / burn to a BD-R and the "problem" becomes zero. It's a smart thing to do anyway as if you need to reinstall your OS / change HDD/SSD, its about 100x quicker to reinstall off a local HDD than to sit around waiting to re-download 70-80 games again. It's also good insurance against company failure. You buy it and as long as you have a local backup, you effectively own it for life just like the pre-broadband Good Old Days back when you actually bought games instead of merely rented them.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
They did, but that was due to licensing issues between Bethesda and whats left over of Interplay.

If you had purchased it before or got it when it was free a few times you would still have it.

details here of why it is gone, http://www.gog.com/news/removed_from_catalog_fallout_1_2_tactics

You yourself just agreed with lamedude.

"They didn't give [it] away just to take it away."

By giving it out for free, they ensured the greatest number of users possible will retain access to the games. Because anyone who owned it still has access.

It still sucks that it was taken off of gog.com for any new users in the future, but gog.com handled it the best they could in their situation.

To my knowledge, only one game has been completely removed from gog.com, which included peoples' libraries. In that case, all owners were credited a free game and given ample time to download a backup copy.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
To my knowledge, only one game has been completely removed from gog.com, which included peoples' libraries. In that case, all owners were credited a free game and given ample time to download a backup copy.

Which game was this? I know there are a couple of games that you can't buy anymore, but if you bought them before they were removed you still have them in your library. I believe TOCA Race Driver 3 was one of them (which I own).

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Which game was this? I know there are a couple of games that you can't buy anymore, but if you bought them before they were removed you still have them in your library. I believe TOCA Race Driver 3 was one of them (which I own).

I could be mistaken that it was removed from customers' libraries. It doesn't happen often enough that I would ever not consider gog, though. They're a great, consumer-friendly company.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Think i got my question answered, it will still show up (and download) in my library, but if i was a user who hadn't downloaded it yet, I would be out of luck. Thanks.. now I can go back to worry about Digital in general.. when (ts years away for sure) some of these digital places start to fold as more and more come into exsitance what will happen to the ones who USE the download store as DRM? but that is a question for the future.

thanks again.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Yeah, I can attest that you'll still have the games in your Library if you bought them.

I still have all the Fallout games, as well as Cryostasis available for download.