• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

G-d damned Russians escorted off American airspace...again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
29,928
3,444
126
I rest assured knowing that IF a Russian bomber did make a mistake, it would be its last.

Until then if cat and mouse makes them happy then perhaps I am willing to play.
 

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
11,947
3,185
136
"boss!....boss!....de plane!...de plane!"

tickling and/or testing our tracking array is just the traditional way of exchanging friendly gestures at altitude.

but the subs....don't forget about the subs. much harder game to play with much more expensive toys to break.

 

Sacrilege

Senior member
Sep 6, 2007
649
0
0
So uh, how did NATO get this picture of the Kuznetosov?

FAS.org picture

Oh, maybe by flying 2000 ft over the carrier.

OP needs to brush up on how these military matters work before calling for blood.
 

Fern

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 30, 2003
26,917
173
106
After much consideration I've decided upon the proper course of action.

Given our present financial condition, I propose we charge them rent for occupying our air space.

Fern
 

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
34,858
4,800
126
Air exclusion zone is not same as airspace. Airspace is 12 miles from the coastline, 500 miles is international airspace.
 

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
8,909
2
76
Originally posted by: Sacrilege
So uh, how did NATO get this picture of the Kuznetosov?

FAS.org picture

Oh, maybe by flying 2000 ft over the carrier.

OP needs to brush up on how these military matters work before calling for blood.
or... taken from a Russian helicopter and stolen by a spy working for us.
 

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
6,079
186
106
Originally posted by: bbdub333
Originally posted by: ericlp
Originally posted by: NaughtyGeek
You war mongers need to find yourself a good Muslim extremist camp to join or something.
They already have an extremist camp... It's called a christain church... I'm sure you've seen em, littered in every town across the USA spreading the disease to anyone that cares to listen.
Wow... somebody left the tool shed open...
Well, come on in and close the door it's friggen cold out there!

Obviously.... Most posts come from the USA, I'm sure the op and the rest of good people in here that agree with him are NOT Muslim extremist! I will almost bet that most of em hang out in church debating this crap. So, some people like yourself albeit, a bit slow...you will come to the realization that I just fixed a post and added a few words.

:p
 

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Administrator
Oct 9, 1999
35,052
28
86
Originally posted by: Citrix

having your life put on the line by the president is all part of the paycheck when one is in the military. if you are not willing to make that sacrifice you have no business joining any of the armed forces.
I would expect better than that of American troops. If what you're willing to give when you sign up for that paycheck includes blind allegiance to the exclusion of your conscience and your personal integrity, you'd only disgrace any uniform of the United States of America.
 

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
20,552
734
126
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Citrix

having your life put on the line by the president is all part of the paycheck when one is in the military. if you are not willing to make that sacrifice you have no business joining any of the armed forces.
I would expect better than that of American troops. If what you're willing to give when you sign up for that paycheck includes blind allegiance to the exclusion of your conscience and your personal integrity, you'd only disgrace any uniform of the United States of America.
Sorry Harvey choice is essentially taken away when you sign up. You should know that. Or would you expect a soldier to refuse on "moral" grounds? Or "Because my conscience wont let me"?
 

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Administrator
Oct 9, 1999
35,052
28
86
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Sorry Harvey choice is essentially taken away when you sign up. You should know that. Or would you expect a soldier to refuse on "moral" grounds? Or "Because my conscience wont let me"?
Try running that by those convicted of war crimes because they were "just following orders." It doesn't fly, and your willingness to approve of criminality under color of authority does not speak well for you.

I repeat -- If what you're willing to give when you sign up for that paycheck includes blind allegiance to the exclusion of your conscience and your personal integrity, you'd only disgrace any uniform of the United States of America.
 

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
9,716
6
76
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Sorry Harvey choice is essentially taken away when you sign up. You should know that. Or would you expect a soldier to refuse on "moral" grounds? Or "Because my conscience wont let me"?
Try running that by those convicted of war crimes because they were "just following orders." It doesn't fly, and your willingness to approve of criminality under color of authority does not speak well for you.

I repeat -- If what you're willing to give when you sign up for that paycheck includes blind allegiance to the exclusion of your conscience and your personal integrity, you'd only disgrace any uniform of the United States of America.
Well said :thumbsup:

 

event8horizon

Senior member
Nov 15, 2007
675
0
0
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Sorry Harvey choice is essentially taken away when you sign up. You should know that. Or would you expect a soldier to refuse on "moral" grounds? Or "Because my conscience wont let me"?
Try running that by those convicted of war crimes because they were "just following orders." It doesn't fly, and your willingness to approve of criminality under color of authority does not speak well for you.

I repeat -- If what you're willing to give when you sign up for that paycheck includes blind allegiance to the exclusion of your conscience and your personal integrity, you'd only disgrace any uniform of the United States of America.
Well said :thumbsup:

damn that was well said. i can only think of the nazi's running the concentration camps when one talks about blindly following orders.
 

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
17,136
37
91
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Sorry Harvey choice is essentially taken away when you sign up. You should know that. Or would you expect a soldier to refuse on "moral" grounds? Or "Because my conscience wont let me"?
Try running that by those convicted of war crimes because they were "just following orders." It doesn't fly, and your willingness to approve of criminality under color of authority does not speak well for you.

I repeat -- If what you're willing to give when you sign up for that paycheck includes blind allegiance to the exclusion of your conscience and your personal integrity, you'd only disgrace any uniform of the United States of America.
lol. That's victor's justice. Look at what we did to the American indians or what the Japanese did to the Chinese, yet I didn't see any soldiers or politicians going to prison over what they did.

Everything is relative. There are no absolutes.
 

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
10,329
620
126
Originally posted by: LordSegan
2000 feet is INSANE. That is worth getting shot down.
Off the eastern coast of South Korea, a Russian Tu-95 or Tu-142 flew over USS Nimitz and was intercepted by two F/A-18 Hornets at an altitude of 2,000 feet at a distance of about 3-5 miles. Four South Korean F-16s were also scrambled to intercept the bomber
 

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
12,497
1
81
Originally posted by: Dari
Just because that c**ksucker Putin is flushed with petrodollars, he thinks he can keep doing this shit without retribution? It's almost as if they have a death wish. Next time, we should just send a missile their away and call it a "mistake".

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/...sian.planes/index.html

U.S. jets escort Russian bombers off Alaska coast

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two U.S. Air Force F-15s escorted two Russian Bear long-range bombers out of an air exclusion zone off the coast of Alaska, U.S. military officials said Wednesday.

U.S. radar picked up the Russian turbo-prop Tupolev-95 planes about 500 miles off the Alaska coast.

The U.S. fighters from Elmendorf Air Force Base were dispatched to meet the bombers and escorted them out of the area without incident, the officials said.

The United States maintains the air exclusion zone off the coast of Alaska, barring unidentified aircraft or aircraft that don't file flight plans inside that area.

The last case of Russian aircraft approaching the U.S. coastline or ships in the Pacific was in February.

Then, four Bear bombers flew near the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, with one of them flying about 2,000 feet from the Nimitz's deck.

Russia's Defense Ministry said at the time there was no violation of flight regulations during the incident. A ministry official described the flights as standard operating procedure for air force training.

Meanwhile, U.S. military officials say the incidents are not a concern. They say it's the Russian military flexing its ability and presence.
I do not see Russia as a threat. It does not negatively affect my sense of self worth if Russian planes fly over the coast of Alaska.

I do not want to start an international incident by killing Russian pilots.

 

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
71,486
21,469
136
Originally posted by: daveymark
Originally posted by: loki8481
this sounds like an occasion to sit down, hold hands, and have a sharing circle with Putin.
you forgot "create an open dialog"
You're right. Diplomacy is for losers (who might be gay). Lets kill everyone who looks at us cross-eyed.
 

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
3,708
1
0
Originally posted by: Dari
Just because that c**ksucker Putin is flushed with petrodollars, he thinks he can keep doing this shit without retribution? It's almost as if they have a death wish. Next time, we should just send a missile their away and call it a "mistake".

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/...sian.planes/index.html

U.S. jets escort Russian bombers off Alaska coast

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two U.S. Air Force F-15s escorted two Russian Bear long-range bombers out of an air exclusion zone off the coast of Alaska, U.S. military officials said Wednesday.

U.S. radar picked up the Russian turbo-prop Tupolev-95 planes about 500 miles off the Alaska coast.

The U.S. fighters from Elmendorf Air Force Base were dispatched to meet the bombers and escorted them out of the area without incident, the officials said.

The United States maintains the air exclusion zone off the coast of Alaska, barring unidentified aircraft or aircraft that don't file flight plans inside that area.

The last case of Russian aircraft approaching the U.S. coastline or ships in the Pacific was in February.

Then, four Bear bombers flew near the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, with one of them flying about 2,000 feet from the Nimitz's deck.

Russia's Defense Ministry said at the time there was no violation of flight regulations during the incident. A ministry official described the flights as standard operating procedure for air force training.

Meanwhile, U.S. military officials say the incidents are not a concern. They say it's the Russian military flexing its ability and presence.
What are you, 12? Grow up and chill out. This stuff has been going on for a long time. Back in the 80's during the cold war, it happened all the time.

We do it, they do it, both sides know about it and just escort each other around to keep everything safe.

If you really want to get serious about this, what about when we flew U-2's over the USSR? Or how about the SR-71 flights that went over the USSR and other countries as well.

What you are talking about wasn't even an overflight.
 

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
3,711
1
0
they're just 'testing our defenses' which means the 'bomber' is loaded with
electronic gear so they can attempt a real-time capture of all the radar,
communications, & electronic countermeasures waveforms the US sends
their way.

wonder what kind of hard drives they're using ?
 

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
3,843
46
91
Heck, its not like America didn't piss the Russians by extending NATO right to her borders inspite of Putin's displeasure. This is Putin's way of upping the game plan. He wants you to shoot the bomber down so that the cold war can be resumed openly in Eastern Europe.

But don't let common sense stop you cowboys though.
 

Fern

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 30, 2003
26,917
173
106
Originally posted by: Braznor
Heck, its not like America didn't piss the Russians by extending NATO right to her borders inspite of Putin's displeasure. This is Putin's way of upping the game plan. He wants you to shoot the bomber down so that the cold war can be resumed openly in Eastern Europe.

But don't let common sense stop you cowboys though.
Yes, jeebus christ what were those soverign nations thinking?

Maybe that they were soverign and it was, uhh, their choice and not Russia's frickin business?

Fern
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY